User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #151
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Just about to leave..

Will be taking the dreaded motorways for much if it sadly due to running late. Just trod on my cats paw in my boots .. poor kitty is rather P****** with me to say the least..
Old 06-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #152
basil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Just loaded bike up ,i call down at mc donalds to see if any body turn up.Then i,,ll make my way up,The sky as turned brighter in the last hour at home in keighley,looking forward to seeimng ya up there. Forgot to say,some off the trails are full of smooth bomb holes on track,most of the back end there ussually full of water,last time out recceing everything was bone dry,this will make it more enjoyable for ya.You,ll see the picture.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #153
matthelliwell
Glowy

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil
Just loaded bike up ,i call down at mc donalds to see if any body turn up.Then i,,ll make my way up,The sky as turned brighter in the last hour at home in keighley,looking forward to seeimng ya up there. Forgot to say,some off the trails are full of smooth bomb holes on track,most of the back end there ussually full of water,last time out recceing everything was bone dry,this will make it more enjoyable for ya.You,ll see the picture.
Hope everybody gets there safely and has a good time. Currently chucking it down in Cheshire.

I've just opened my dry sack to get at something only to discover my spare bottle of oil has leaked all over my sleeping bag. Good job I'm not sleeping in it tonight.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #154
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Just had word from Pumpy that she, along with Dr Rich & GPS are spending the night in Sheffield, delayed due to weather.

They're planning to be in Hawes for 0930 tomorrow unless anyone has a better idea & calls Pumpy on her mobile: 07919-235823.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #155
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Well, I'm back. I woke up this morning feeling like not continuing with the journey in the cold and wet kit so GPS and Pumpy pressed on and I believe were meeting some others at Pately bridge.

Due to some shall we shant we we were late leaving on Friday and from Strensham where I met GPS on north, and to Leicester where we met Pumpy it was a chocked motorway, filtering in torrential rain. Progress was very slow despite spirited filtering as it was pretty awful, probably not the worse I have ridden in but having to filter all the time in it wasn't nice. So a 3 hour journey took getting on for six hours We did probably pick the worse day of the year to travel.

We decided that we wouldnt get to Tan Hill in sufficient time so headed for some friends of mine in SHeffield. Another disaster really and a bad decision but another story .

Confirmed fair weather adventurer

On and I now have an engine warning light as a new present from Mr BMW 12GS

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #156
matthelliwell
Glowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Me too! Though I realised that before I tried to get up to Yorkshire and spent a very nice Friday night quaffing beer around my parents.

I did nip out on Saturday and buy myself a pair of waterproof trousers though. And on the way back today, I took a slight detour to another shop and got some lighter weight waterproof gloves (made of goat leather apparently - only about 30 quid).

I might be a fair weather biker but I don't let that stop be buying shiny new gear.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:29 AM   #157
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Bog snorkling

Well done for trying--I was in my garage working and listening to all the flood reports and road closures etc--I would have stood no chance with a car and 3 bike trailer. Here in Lincolnshire we had another half inch of rain on Saturday--from thunderstorms. Today (Sun)--its a nice day--shame--but here's looking forward to Rhyader. My next big trip is Turda (Romania) in July--Dracula rally.

Regards , Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Well, I'm back. I woke up this morning feeling like not continuing with the journey in the cold and wet kit so GPS and Pumpy pressed on and I believe were meeting some others at Pately bridge.

Due to some shall we shant we we were late leaving on Friday and from Strensham where I met GPS on north, and to Leicester where we met Pumpy it was a chocked motorway, filtering in torrential rain. Progress was very slow despite spirited filtering as it was pretty awful, probably not the worse I have ridden in but having to filter all the time in it wasn't nice. So a 3 hour journey took getting on for six hours We did probably pick the worse day of the year to travel.

We decided that we wouldnt get to Tan Hill in sufficient time so headed for some friends of mine in SHeffield. Another disaster really and a bad decision but another story .

On and I now have an engine warning light as a new present from Mr BMW 12GS
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #158
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Made it home safe..

Well a few of us made it up to Tan Hill.. And a true adventure was had.
A BIG THANKYOU to the yorkshire guys for putting on a cracking days off roading and great tour of the lake district passes today.

I just literally fell through the door and put the GS away. Now off for a hot bath..

I left Pumpy and GPS at Forton Services fuelling up, so hopefully they should roll into their respective homes in a couple of hours.

Was a lot of fun, though the journey up was interesting.. crossing the moors in the dark in pouring rain and howling gale certainly will live on as a lasting memory..
Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #159
matthelliwell
Glowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks
Was a lot of fun, though the journey up was interesting.. crossing the moors in the dark in pouring rain and howling gale certainly will live on as a lasting memory..
I'm almost jealous, but not quite! Anyway, my clutch gave up the ghost today so good job I wasn't in the middle of a bog at the time.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #160
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks
crossing the moors in the dark in pouring rain and howling gale certainly will live on as a lasting memory..
Well done............but not for me

Sorry to hear about the clutch Matt.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #161
stevo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Thumb

Got home around 6.00, knackered and saddle sore but the GPS took me a cracking route after leaving Dazzer and Basil,through Pendle Hill and god knows where but it was nice,until it tried sending me and my serow onto the motorway,but i refused!! Thanks chaps for taking the trouble of organising this,and thanks everyone for the good company. Looking forward to another.
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #162
GPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Well I've just got in, it took about 10 or 11 hours to get there and 4 hours and twenty minutes to get home. It was a shame you turrned back Dr Rich I think you would have enjoyed it over all. Todays road ride around the lakes and hairpins was great and I must have done my steepest hill start today. But the weather did improve although there were moments but for the time being I'll leave you all in suspence till the photo's along with PUMPY's commentary appears.
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #163
dazco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
cant wait to see the piccies, ill try and get on the next one .
Shame this one had to be during the worst weather weve had for a while. im gonna start praying for better weather for the next one now
Glad you all had fun
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #164
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,155
At the request of the owners the "after action" reports of the rally have been moved to here in Ride Reports
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:39 AM   #165
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Thank you, Phil.