User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cry 07 DR200SE Issues.

So, I went out to buy this bike yesterday, everything checked out and it was purchased. It needed a new battery at the time so I went out and picked one up. I was in a rush while installing it and put it in backwards.. Noob mistake Number 1. Luckily it only blew a fuse (as far as I can tell) so I went out and replaced that. Now the bike was left on prime overnight (Noob mistake number 2?) and now it won't start. It'll turn over for a bit, then sorta stop turning over and the headlight will dim. So my thinking was that it is the battery, and still thinking that. But it could be flooded. Help please?!?
MrNommington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Note - This was my father doing this. I'm not too mechanically advanced.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnommington View Post
note - this was my father doing this. I'm not too mechanically advanced.
sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, I'm 16 and this is my first bike so :p Believe me for once!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 543
The new battery needs to be charged. A trickle charger and patience is probably the best option. It is possible that having the battery installed in reverse damaged electronics before the fuse blew. If the bike won't start once the battery has been charged, then test for spark and report back.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
The new battery needs to be charged. A trickle charger and patience is probably the best option. It is possible that having the battery installed in reverse damaged electronics before the fuse blew. If the bike won't start once the battery has been charged, then test for spark and report back.
Will do, I'll need to pick one up. Will report back later on this evening!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,666
I'd be worried about leaving the petcock open overnight.

Check if you filled your crankcase or cylinder with gas. If the carb float didn't hold, all the fuel from the tank will have flooded the engine.

1) Pull the plug and crank it over to make sure the cylinder isn't hydro-locked.

2) Check the oil level. Is it over-filled? Smell the oil for a gas smell. If it is overfilled or smells of gas, change the oil immediately.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Eek

Will do all that is suggested above. Hopefully I didn't screw myself over too much with it..
Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Cry

Since this is my first bike I've been kicking myself over it, and worried like a sonuva about my mistakes.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I'd be worried about leaving the petcock open overnight.

Check if you filled your crankcase or cylinder with gas. If the carb float didn't hold, all the fuel from the tank will have flooded the engine.

1) Pull the plug and crank it over to make sure the cylinder isn't hydro-locked.

2) Check the oil level. Is it over-filled? Smell the oil for a gas smell. If it is overfilled or smells of gas, change the oil immediately.
Alright, oil level is NOT over-filled but smells of gas. I don't have any extra oil on hand and won't be able to get any for about 3 hours or so. Should I just drain the oil and leave it empty until I can get more?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the reply spam. But if someone was willing to perhaps email me or get into an im with me that'd help me out greatly. I'm just worried because I just got my first bike, and I haven't even had it for 24 hours and this has happened.. Plus it should've sealed up due to it being vacuum, correct? So the seal would have failed?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,666
Gas in the oil won't hurt anything by itself. Just don't run the bike that way since gas is a terrible lubricant.

Leaving the petcock on prime lets it flow fuel without any vacuum. The float should prevent fuel from overfilling the carb (and then the engine) but on older bikes, sometimes the float doesn't completely seal. That's why you should store the bike with the petcock in the Off position if possible.

I would definitely pull the plug and crank it to make sure that the cylinder isn't full of fuel.

Also, relax. You have to try pretty hard to kill a DR200.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:46 AM
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Alright, I'll change the oil later on tonight.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
1200% agree with Mr Canoehead, the gas has filled the cylinder and if you keep cranking you may just get frustered , than again you may bend the rod or even something more costly.

I have a very nice low mileage DR200 that the PO did exactly the same, left the petcock on prime and the floats did not stop the flow. In a sump that calls for 1 L per oil change , I drained out 3 liters of gas/oil combo

I shared all this with the owner, he did not wish to have said 200 any longer . Super nice offer on his part which I immediately grabbed.

Drain all the oil , engine and tranny plugs. HOpe you have not done any serious damage with all that cranking.
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
MrNommington OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Gas in the oil won't hurt anything by itself. Just don't run the bike that way since gas is a terrible lubricant.

Leaving the petcock on prime lets it flow fuel without any vacuum. The float should prevent fuel from overfilling the carb (and then the engine) but on older bikes, sometimes the float doesn't completely seal. That's why you should store the bike with the petcock in the Off position if possible.

I would definitely pull the plug and crank it to make sure that the cylinder isn't full of fuel.

Also, relax. You have to try pretty hard to kill a DR200.
Thanks so much. And so leaving it in prime is the reason the vacuum didn't seal? Noted. There is no off, only reserve, on, and prime. Where would the plug be located exactly? (spark plug or?)