Supa Thumpa Pilot

Oddometer: 375
me likey
commo_soulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #137
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
And now I'm stuck between my chair and my desk.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #138
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Competitive Designs

The new BMW 450 is being compared to the current KTM 450 EXC and NOT the new single cam kick/electric start KTM 450 based on the new 450 SX motor. This configuration is lighter, has better torque and will be more than adequate to dominate the off-road market, along with the new Husaberg that is rumored to be out soon (Boejangles? Seen any spy photos of it yet?)

KTM and Husaberg both have never been known to rest on their successes. BMW will have a struggle here, especially with that frame in the rocks.

As for the comment about needing good KTM dealers in the LA area, just what do you need a dealer for? The RFS motors are very easy to work on. Just check the how-to threads at KTMTalk.com. Lots of noobs are now working on their own dirt bikes, just as you should be.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #139
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
along with the new Husaberg that is rumored to be out soon (Boejangles? Seen any spy photos of it yet?)
Stu
I haven't seen any yet, should be interesting though..
Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #140
6pyAHNN
Rock On, Dude!

Oddometer: 24
Another story; of up coming tests. The story claims that the bike is only a concept. I hope that it is more then just a concept and BMW is further along then that.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...n-ar32913.html

6pyAHNN
6pyAHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 AM   #141
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
Untill the bike is put into production, yes it's a concept. But BMW wants to make money, not concepts. So chances are it's only a matter of time before this bike goes into production, right?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #142
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
What is with all these self righteous KTM people? If BMW wants to build dirt bikes let them, if Buell wants to build dirt bikes let them. Why not have some of these companies help support off road riding. I am pretty sure that they don't want to develop bikes to loose money. And if the BMW is 7K, that sounds like a bargin compaired to the CRF450X at 7K. IMO
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #143
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r
What is with all these self righteous KTM people? ... if the BMW is 7K, that sounds like a bargin compaired to the CRF450X at 7K. IMO
I had to go over these posts to see who was soap-boxing but couldn't find any other than this quoted post. Nearly all the posts seemed to be on target discussing the features and benefits of the various bikes. JoMomma is the place for attacks on the person rather than the arguments they discuss.

The price of the new BMW 450 will likely be quite a bit above 7K. BTW, the 450X owner's seem to be pretty pleased with their bikes on the whole and they are not much cheaper than the competition.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #144
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
It's a sweet looking bike but really needs a skid plate and that's a very big concern. I really hope it makes it to market soon, it's definately a step in the right direction. I can't wait to ride one.

One great thing about bmw is they really support the sport and have great customer appreciation (my experience). This weekend bmw is hosting a free (for bmw owners) two day dual sport ride in NJ http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216515. What other manufactures are doing that? and for free?

People complaining about the cost of the bmw need to consider it's a bmw and you pay for the label along with the alternate designing (weather you like it or not). Can you buy a Nissan car for the same price as a BMW car? No, you can't so what makes you think the bmw bikes are going to be any different? How much do you pay for a Polo shirt by Ralph Lauren and how much for the same type of shirt from sears? Labels, gotta read the labels.. what's behind the labels? Well, it's supposed to be quality.. that's debatable but for the most part it's true just look at the components on these bikes, that stuff really adds up. Also, the bmw bikes are not really priced that much higher than the other bikes on the market.

Of couse, aftermarket is going to be a problem at first but like the husky if the bike takes off the after market will follow.

Now, I can ride all bmw street (k1200r), dual sport (650x) and enduro (450)!
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #145
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #146
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23

People complaining about the cost of the bmw need to consider it's a bmw and you pay for the label along with the alternate designing (weather you like it or not). Can you buy a Nissan car for the same price as a BMW car? No, you can't so what makes you think the bmw bikes are going to be any different?
people defending BMW's higher pricing need to keep in mind that BMW has a long track record of claiming their product is better than the competition and then very conveniently avoiding any direct competition and even to go so far as to host their own race series thereby avoiding any direct competition with the competition in a competition setting.

remember last years

"hunting squids on track days" ad?

they roll a 450 out and get totally destroyed by the competition it would suit me just fine.

their smug attitude perpetuated by their low class garbage ad campaigns needs to get shoved right down their throats and a knobby tire attached to a KTM/Honda/Berg/Yamaha etc etc is just the thing to do it.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #147
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
It's one more choice, or at least it will be. Regardless of one's view of BMW, KTM, Honda, etc., one MORE choice is better than one FEWER. Or perhaps I'm missing something...
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #148
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
they roll a 450 out and get totally destroyed by the competition it would suit me just fine.

their smug attitude perpetuated by their low class garbage ad campaigns needs to get shoved right down their throats and a knobby tire attached to a KTM/Honda/Berg/Yamaha etc etc is just the thing to do it.
I don't care who the manufacturer is, they are trying to create an itch that we will scratch. Why are you so concerned that some people scratch a different itch than you. Go for ride.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #149
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
people defending BMW's higher pricing need to keep in mind that BMW has a long track record of claiming their product is better than the competition and then very conveniently avoiding any direct competition and even to go so far as to host their own race series thereby avoiding any direct competition with the competition in a competition setting.

remember last years

"hunting squids on track days" ad?

who let the KLR snob in...
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #150
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Me likes the new BMW 450 and that is something I will sell of my KTM450 for in a heart beat.

I really don't get everyone's worry about the engine and lack of full frame wrapping around the engine. With a proper skid pan it's all pluses and much easier to service, wash and everything else. Not to mention there is an awful lof of clearance there immediately behind the front wheel. That would be great as that's about one of my biggest bitches of any against my EXC's. I always get that lower front lip of the engine banging off of trees when popping over them. The less meat there and the better the approach angle of that meat and one of my personal hurdles will be helped to overcome.