Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #5716
Gearhead001
Nut

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
All I got for a spark arrester was a small domed screen that covers the exhaust hole, and it has never been out of the box.
The long one is probably installed. Take it out and your friends will really be upset.
Gearhead001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #5717
LeShaghal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Gut Cherrrrmen Technologie

saw one of these baby's over the holiday weekend. WOW! pretty keen on it. so I go in search of one 'round here...nada! (as is Nada damn thing) but i did stumble upon the old sales page

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...html&notrack=1

pretty sure they want to sell more of them, but the axe men&pencil pushers are making "Corporate Maneuvers" keeping share holders happy and watching that bottom line.....makes me sad, But.....

Somewhere deep in the Bavarian countryside there's a man in slim black designer glasses&a navy turtleneck staring at his drawings thinking,

"Vee Verked Zohhhhh haaad, und vor zohhhh long-ga...clearly it iz zah Zupe-earior designnn! "

I'll just bet, He's a hair more frustrated than me
LeShaghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #5718
Louv
nerd with knobbies

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post
saw one of these baby's over the holiday weekend. WOW! pretty keen on it. so I go in search of one 'round here...nada! (as is Nada damn thing) but i did stumble upon the old sales page
I know where there's a (lightly) used one for sale in Southern California.
Message me if you want a pointer to it.
I own no garage queens. If it is in my driveway, it's been ridden hard and put away wet.
Louv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #5719
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,685
I've started riding my GX to work on a more regular basis (very short 8 mile ride). Turns out its just fine, didn't even bother changing the gearing, left the smaller of the two front sprockets that came with it right on there.

Now, all I need is a front wheel that isn't square! The front end bounces like mad, it's not all the wheel itself, big cheap kenda on/off tires don't help (same with rimlocks and all), but it's more than just a balance issue.

Anyone have any luck truing these (technically "true" isn't the issue, it's "round")? I've never tried truing a moto wheel but done many many bicycle wheels.

A nice 19" wheel for a more touring tubeless tire would be the ideal setup. Anyone know what would fit that might be readily found?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #5720
Gearhead001
Nut

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
I've started riding my GX to work on a more regular basis (very short 8 mile ride). Turns out its just fine, didn't even bother changing the gearing, left the smaller of the two front sprockets that came with it right on there.

Now, all I need is a front wheel that isn't square! The front end bounces like mad, it's not all the wheel itself, big cheap kenda on/off tires don't help (same with rimlocks and all), but it's more than just a balance issue.

Anyone have any luck truing these (technically "true" isn't the issue, it's "round")? I've never tried truing a moto wheel but done many many bicycle wheels.

A nice 19" wheel for a more touring tubeless tire would be the ideal setup. Anyone know what would fit that might be readily found?
I have never trued a bicycle wheel but regularly check and tweak my dirt bikes. It should not be a problem.

If the tire is old, out of round and/or out of balance, it will wear funny and there is nothing you can do but replace it. My tire man said he can balance an egg but that doesn't change the fact it is an egg.

Good luck.
Gearhead001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #5721
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...html&notrack=1

pretty sure they want to sell more of them, but the axe men&pencil pushers are making "Corporate Maneuvers" keeping share holders happy and watching that bottom line.....makes me sad, But.....

Somewhere deep in the Bavarian countryside there's a man in slim black designer glasses&a navy turtleneck staring at his drawings thinking,

"Vee Verked Zohhhhh haaad, und vor zohhhh long-ga...clearly it iz zah Zupe-earior designnn! "

I'll just bet, He's a hair more frustrated than me
Speedbrain stopped selling making stuff for the G450 last year/early this year. Havent been back to their site for a while now, but they had bugger all for the BM
They stopped selling the 30Ltr rallye kit long ago, (2011?) to concentrate on the 449 Hussvarna.
All said, there are some options:
You can get the Safari front and rear tanks to go get 28 liitres. Down side is possible rear subframe breakage.

However, if you really want the same setup as what Speedbrain was selling... then you need to contact Bert Duumsra.

I tracked him down and dropped him an email last year, when a few guys were wanting to build up G450 rallye bikes over here. This is a little out of my price range, but I'm sooo tempted anyway.

From Bert:

I am the OEM of this tank and can supply you directly if you wish. The tankkit consists of: 29 L PE fuel tank Mounting kit Rear fender Buddyseat The price is 1250 euro excl shipment (approx 100 euro)

The tank replaces the entire subframe and you do need a low exhaust. I can also supply the exhaust header and muffler if you are interested.

It's ok to let others know about this tank solution.

Best regards, Bert Duursma
bert@bertduursma.nl
Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #5722
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
All said, there are some options:
You can get the Safari front and rear tanks to go get 28 liitres. Down side is possible rear subframe breakage.

However, if you really want the same setup as what Speedbrain was selling... then you need to contact Bert Duumsra.

From Bert:

I am the OEM of this tank and can supply you directly if you wish. The tankkit consists of: 29 L PE fuel tank Mounting kit Rear fender Buddyseat The price is 1250 euro excl shipment (approx 100 euro)

The tank replaces the entire subframe and you do need a low exhaust. I can also supply the exhaust header and muffler if you are interested.

It's ok to let others know about this tank solution.

Best regards, Bert Duursma
bert@bertduursma.nl
If you are considering more fuel don't go past Bert's rear tank. I have had many off him and they make the bike a huge step better.

I would hate to think what the Safari setup feels like in comparison but it is putting all the extra weight in places you DON'T want it.

With Bert's tank the G450X seems to go better when it is full! You won't regret it

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #5723
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,840
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
If you are considering more fuel don't go past Bert's rear tank. I have had many off him and they make the bike a huge step better.

I would hate to think what the Safari setup feels like in comparison but it is putting all the extra weight in places you DON'T want it.

With Bert's tank the G450X seems to go better when it is full! You won't regret it

Cheers
Pilbara
Yeah, I'd agree.. I've know you were really happy with Berts setup.
Bastid, you're just making me want them more now
I wonder if missus would notice the difference in my bike?

I bought both Safari tanks and only ever half filled the front tank. One thing I will say, though, is the bit for extra weight on the front make the suspension work a bit better for me, but I've never touched the suspension internals, only played with the clickers and stuff.
Others may find things a bit different.

There you have it folks, just cos Speedbrain (or BMW) don't sell the parts you lust over, doesn't mean you can't get them!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #5724
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Can someone tell me where the turn signal relay on the 450X is?

I just put led signals up front, so now have all four converted and they all turn on at once. My CD is buried in storage for the next few weeks. I've got an led specific relay on another bike and want to try it to see if that cures the problem. Other ideas are welcome, but I am not too interested in using those blocky resistors if I can help it.

Thank!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #5725
bmwbeej
Chuck Norris

Oddometer: 15
LoJack this should help you.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/g450x
bmwbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #5726
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Awesome, thanks! Looks like it's real easy to get to as well.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #5727
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

I got the LED signals working. The current was bleading through the indicator bulb causing all four turn indicators to turn on. Pulling the bulb out fixed that, which was fine by me. It's pretty worthless anyway, I'm not sure if I ever noticed it during the day. Sometime I'll figure out how to swap it out for an LED which will fix it. Cutting out the old relay and hooking up my LED relay got them flashing. Boo-yah! Now it (looks) legal.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #5728
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Here you can find new Blackbird seats with gripper seat and the fastening closement without screws. :):)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/181192151307?...84.m1558.l2649

If anybody is interested please send me a message.
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #5729
Squire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muecke View Post
Here you can find new Blackbird seats with gripper seat and the fastening closement without screws.
Is this seat anyhow more comfortable than the stock one?
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #5730
AlexBC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Did everyone give up on these bikes or what? Just rebuilt my forks and adjusted the shims according to this thread.
AlexBC is offline   Reply With Quote