ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #751
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Not angry, just incredulous to see such zealous support and ultra defensive posture from new owners or owners to be who stand behind a bike and company with ZERO track record.
Erm...I think BMW were doing 'enduros' as far back as the 1930s. Wasn't the R80G/S born from their 1970s ISDT bikes? What about their desert rally record?
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #752
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
loco

no offense taken. man, that looks beautiful. what an amazing place to ride. i live in new york city-shitty place to be from if you like to ride dirt. my buddy and i found a great forest in western mass that we have been getting to know. anyway, i never had a drz. had a klr and an xr. both solid bikes but too heavy. klr never failed me, but it is a pig. xr is a ripper but also too fat. no time for compromise bikes anymore!!!
here's where i ride:
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Itís a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #753
seanoj
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
I appreciate your real world owner feed back. All the best, hope the bike works out great for you. Interesting your comments on prices.
Maybe BMW give you guys a discount!
I have seen some good results in world enduro (WEC), but I've also seen quite a few DNF's in both the German cross country series and WEC.
The ISDE is going on NOW, how is the BMW doing? Post a link if you can find one. Our best US guys is OUT.

Do you know any specifics of what caused these breakdowns?

Cheers!
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29270

3 start, 3 finish ISDE. No problems with the bikes, per the above.
seanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #754
slip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto
no offense taken. man, that looks beautiful. what an amazing place to ride. i live in new york city-shitty place to be from if you like to ride dirt. my buddy and i found a great forest in western mass that we have been getting to know. anyway, i never had a drz. had a klr and an xr. both solid bikes but too heavy. klr never failed me, but it is a pig. xr is a ripper but also too fat. no time for compromise bikes anymore!!!
here's where i ride:
There are some great places to ride in Orange County where I used to live. Not too far for you to ride to. I used to ride in Rockland county as well when I lived in Suffern, NY years ago.
__________________
1991 XR250L
slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #755
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
thanks slip

thanks, yeah, i have ridden a bit near suffern in nj. loved it but don't know it too well. i will look into that area more. also we do have the pine barrons but i broke my ankle there in march so i have stayed away since! that sugar sand kick my ass!
__________________
"Itís a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #756
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,384
First 450 has arrived down under. The bike looks great. It is very well built. I did feel stupid when I asked for the key as the bike does not have a key. It just starts when you hit the starter. There is a key to lock the steering only.

The bike is light and very easy to lift the front or the rear of the bike. The side stand is great as it lifts well out of the way.

We are taking the 450 out to the track next week to give it a go.

My bike will be here next month.
__________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
09 g450x
08 g650X Challenge
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #757
Possu
de-nOObed!
 
Possu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Not angry, just incredulous to see such zealous support and ultra defensive posture from new owners or owners to be who stand behind a bike and company with ZERO track record.

I don't see anyone responding to my questions regards BMW's racing experience noted in my previous post. I don't need to ride the bike to
know history or the reality of BMW's poor record of reliability. Care to comment on this?

As for BMW "...having the balls to go racing..." Come on man, BMW are a huge and very rich company that know all about racing .....
cars (F-1, German touring Car) at least. So IMO, its not taken any "balls" to do this at all. It's simply a logical extension of R&D. Something the Japanese have been doing since the 50's, if you know your history.

You wanna talk "Balls"? The Japanese had balls. They were openly ridiculed in person, with openly racist comments back then, like at Catalina and Isle of Mann. Their victories soon shut up the racist nay sayers up. It's taken hard work and years to get where they are.
That's balls!

BMW have been lazy here and their manufacturing quality has fallen way down, they even admit this. Racing brings knowledge and results. This is pretty basic, yet BMW have ignored this up until now.

I have no doubt if they stick with it and continue to hire "best in the world' riders, they will see success. But a $10K plus dirt bike is not in the cards for most young, working class US racers.
Lazy would be BMW taking the easy route & building a clone of a KTM or Yamaha WR etc.

$10k dirt bike - the G450 retails at £6,117 in the UK. The soon to be relaunched 400EXC will be £6k & the 450EXC about £6,300. The Six Days 450 will be nearer £6,500. Speaking of high costs, the Aprilia VDB SM bike is about £10 & the Merriman replica about £9k........

Everybody has a zero track record in a field they've not entered before...... From reading the posts in this thread, I get the impression that members aren't just supporting the G450 because it's a BMW, it's because they welcome another player offering more choice & a "different" bike, better for us as buyers. If BMW get it wrong, they'll go back to the drawing & resolve those issues. If they get it right first time, nothing to complain about.

BTW, the G450X comes with a two year warranty in the UK & I assume it's the same for the rest of Europe as well, surely that shows a degree of confidence in the product as I believe only Husky offer a similar warranty at present?

One more thing, you're a lucky bugger living where you do with that type & amount of offroading terrain on your doorstep - yes, I am jealous.
__________________
www.possu.smugmug.com
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #758
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu

BTW, the G450X comes with a two year warranty in the UK & I assume it's the same for the rest of Europe as well, surely that shows a degree of confidence in the product as I believe only Husky offer a similar warranty at present?
I've been told the 2 year warranty is only if you keep the 450 to standard power only.
__________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
09 g450x
08 g650X Challenge
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #759
Possu
de-nOObed!
 
Possu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
I've been told the 2 year warranty is only if you keep the 450 to standard power only.
I was told that originally but subsequently amended.

To maintain the warranty, the bike needs to be serviced according to schedule. BMW GB are happy for owners to carry out their own basic servicing (oil & both filters) as long as they purchase the service the oil & filters from a BMW dealership - I'll be advising customers to retain receipts as proof of purchase.

It's okay to fit the Akrapovic & power-up plug without voiding the warranty.

Only one thing will void the warranty & that's sustained high speed usage. If the bike's held at absolute full throttle for 10 seconds, a warning light appears on the dash. Keeping the throttle pinned for an additional 20 seconds without closing the throttle at all will void the warranty - all recoreded on the ECU & accessed via the GT-1 computer.

I can't imagine many riders sticking to the stock cat equipped silencer. Fitting the Akra transforms the throttle response. With the stock can fitted, response is good but a massive improvement in full power mode.
__________________
www.possu.smugmug.com
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #760
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,675
Firstly the G450X is NOT a MX bike!!! It was designed ground up to be a competition enduro bike. Unlike KTM and the big 4 who develop MX/SX bikes and then try to adapt that platform to enduro/cross country use. BMW will never enter this bike in an MX/SX format race, period. But for anyone really paying attention, the G450X is now completing it's second year in major racing venues. It has podiumed many times in the GCC, placed well in WEC and took a 2nd place without a damn left foot peg in the Erzberg Rodeo which has always been dominated by 2 strokes. In regards to racing of the G450X in the USA such as the GNCC series, there were some "political" issues at hand early this year, so consequently the Husky's were sent out to race and it looks like there may not be a G450X presence at all in the GNCC at current, again mostly due to inner company politics.

As for maintenance, it will be very easy in comparison to the current generation KTM's and just as easy as the Husky's for valve adjustments. The air filter is the easiest to service out of ANY offroad bike I have seen by far and also has a superior air inlet snorkel for minimizing debris and allowing aggressive water crossings without sucking up water easily, a major plus in the real world of enduro/dual sport/adventure riding.

If I had to come up with a bitch about it, I'd have to list the cable actuated clutch would be a potential down fall, but since I haven't spent any time riding one, I'll reserve that comment until I do.
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..

Some Dude screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 06:23 AM
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #761
Possu
de-nOObed!
 
Possu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Firstly the G450X is NOT a MX bike!!! It was designed ground up to be a competition enduro bike. Unlike KTM and the big 4 who develop MX/SX bikes and then try to adapt that platform to enduro/cross country use. BMW will never enter this bike in an MX/SX format race, period. But for anyone really paying attention, the G450X is now completing it's second year in major racing venues. It has podiumed many times in the GCC, placed well in WEC and took a 2nd place without a damn left foot peg in the Erzberg Rodeo which has always been dominated by 2 strokes. In regards to racing of the G450X in the USA such as the GNCC series, there were some "political" issues at hand early this year, so consequently the Husky's were sent out to race and it looks like there may not be a G450X presence at all in the GNCC at current, again mostly due to inner company politics.

As for maintenance, it will be very easy in comparison to the current generation KTM's and just as easy as the Husky's for valve adjustments. The air filter is the easiest to service out of ANY offroad bike I have seen by far and also has a superior air inlet snorkel for minimizing debris and allowing aggressive water crossings without sucking up water easily, a major plus in the real world of enduro/dual sport/adventure riding.

If I had to come up with a bitch about it, I'd have to list the cable actuated clutch would be a potential down fall, but since I haven't spent any time riding one, I'll reserve that comment until I do.
I concur on the maintainence, especially the airfilter set up & access to the top end. I've read an article in TBM that they tried a hydraulic clutch but found a couple of issues that they think is related to the clutch being crank mounted but they're working on it & that it may well make an appearance on future bikes.
__________________
www.possu.smugmug.com
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #762
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoj

3 start, 3 finish ISDE. No problems with the bikes, per the above.
Sunday, 07 September 2008

"BMW come through first International Six Days Enduro with flying colors

BMW Motorrad Motorsport team rider Anders Eriksson along with Finnish enduro legend Kari Tiainen and Spaniard Xacob Agra have successfully put BMWís G 450 X through its toughest ever competitive challenge and completed the 2008 International Six Days Enduro. Competing in the 83rd running of the prestigious ISDE, staged in Serres, Greece, all three riders completed the gruelling event with out problems to claim gold medal finishes. With all three riders reaching the end of the sixth and final day having had to do nothing more than fit new tyres to their machines Eriksson claimed the best capacity class result placing 12th in the Enduro 2 category, which helped Sweden place seventh in the Trophy Team competition. For Tiainen the near week-long race ended with the former seven-time world champion finishing 15th in the Enduro 3 class and as a member of the fifth placed Finnish Trophy Team. Agra placed 30th in the Enduro 2 class and as one of the fourth placed Spanish Trophy team members.

With little rain having fallen in or around the Serres area of Greece for several months prior to the start of this yearís ISDE each of the competing 450 riders soon found out just how demanding the dry, rocky and dusty terrain was. With each day offering little in the way of rest, and with severe dust a real problem for all competitors in the special stages, the blazing sun ensured that temperatures remained high to make for one of the toughest six days in recent years.

With the event marking BMWís first ever participation in the ISDE with the new G 450 X the 100 per cent finishing record again proved the bikeís reliability in international competition. Anders Eriksson, along with the rest of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team, will now ready themselves for the final two rounds of the í08 World Enduro Championship, which take place in Italy and France respectively on September 27/28 and October 11/12.

Anders Eriksson Ė Swedish Trophy Team: ďPersonally I was hoping for a better result because I have been so, so happy with the 450 when training at home in Sweden. But finally because of the dry, rocky conditions, which Iíve never been really comfortable with, I finished 12th in the E2 class. For BMW itís been a great event. There were three of us that started the event on BMWs and three of us that finished, and all without problems. I didnít touch my bike with a spanner once. On days four, five and six I felt like I rode well but the dust was really bad at the start of the week, which I wasnít comfortable racing in. To finish another ISDE is great, and Iím really pleased for BMW. Iím looking forward to the final WEC races now.Ē

Kari Tiainen Ė Finnish Trophy Team: ďI said before the race that I wanted to enjoy myself as much as I could during the event, and I did Ė I had a great time. It was a tough race because of the dust, but things went as well as I hoped they would. My bike ran perfectly the whole time, I didnít make any big mistakes, and that meant I could focus on riding my best. Iíve been retired from full-time enduro competition for a long time now so with the little time I had to train and prepare for the race Iím really happy with my result. Itís a little disappointing that the Finnish Trophy Team didnít do so well, but as everyone involved in the event knows the ISDE is a strange race and anything can, and often does, happen. But all things considered itís certainly been a great event for BMW.Ē
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #763
brommer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brommer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 320
@ possu: ther people who have riden and judged the 450x with stoch exhaust said is was good and alot les noise.
Here in holland DB is very importand :-(...

he advised to use the stock because the akra is beutiful but not more functional...

The Akra costs in holland 1019 euro !!!!!!Akra's for a 1200gs a cheaper, way cheaper. Don't know why they ar that expensive. for a 450x....

I will ride with the stock exhaust untill bmw comes with there own "sport"exhaust due in december
brommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #764
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Downtown Wombatislava, England.
Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by brommer
@ possu: ther people who have riden and judged the 450x with stoch exhaust said is was good and alot les noise.
Here in holland DB is very importand :-(...

he advised to use the stock because the akra is beutiful but not more functional...

The Akra costs in holland 1019 euro !!!!!!Akra's for a 1200gs a cheaper, way cheaper. Don't know why they ar that expensive. for a 450x....

I will ride with the stock exhaust untill bmw comes with there own "sport"exhaust due in december
To be fair, noise in the UK too is a major issue, especially with the National Park Authorities erasing routes off our maps and using the noise, peace and tranquility as their trump card. Brecon Beacons NP are using it now!

I will run my G450 with stock pipe for the trail rides, and have the Akro pipe for any competition I decide to enter. Too much power in the raw parts of Wales doesn't help anyway, you need a bit of low-down manageable power delivery. The rallies and enduros will be a hoot though......

Timpo.
__________________
The Rave Generator......
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #765
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire
 
mrkartoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: northeast/western mass
Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
L. . . I get the impression that members aren't just supporting the G450 because it's a BMW, it's because they welcome another player offering more choice & a "different" bike, better for us as buyers. If BMW get it wrong, they'll go back to the drawing & resolve those issues.. . . .
You are talking about me to a large degree because I do support the effort here. I love to have choices and the more TM, Gas Gas, Husky, Sherco, Beta, Husaberg, CCM, BMW, etc. true dirt weapons we have the better IMO. I've never owned a BMW and never even contemplated one until the 650X came about, but the 450X is intriguing. I hope they suceed.

But, I do wonder, based on what they did with the 650X, how much effort and commitment they will put into this project long-term if they don't get it right and sales are not as desired. They own Husky now and I guess it all depends on how much they want that roundel out there in this arena. Also, there are already people laughing off the design of the bike as a poor effort, despite the placings of the hired guns in competitions. I do hope it suceeds. Not because I'm a BMW fan, but because I love dirt bikes. All of them!
__________________
"gotta have more cowbell" C. Walken
"I
spent 90% of my money on woman and drink. The rest I wasted." G. Best

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014