ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #781
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
??? I went by the dealer today to pick up some parts and asked about the G450...they said "we have no clue...should be 2009"...they expressed frustration with this situation (BMW putting out all the press,with no real details to the dealer)...seems like part of some strange grand plan to me...

oh well...we wait.
You gotta be in the clique with BMW...
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #782
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreative
wow, thats as much as an austrian built street legal ktm. shouldn't the pricing be more in line with the japanese offerings since the motor is built in taiwan? is the bike going to be 50-state street legal?
I understand the first few will not be street legal...but who really knows??

AS far as pricing, you're getting a better bike, better technology with less maintenance....fwiw, the Suzuki SV650 is made in Taiwan too....as well as many others. It will be a great motorcycle...who wants a sweet 07 KTM525EXC cheep?? Ton's of mods too!!
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #783
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDude
I understand the first few will not be street legal...but who really knows??

AS far as pricing, you're getting a better bike, better technology with less maintenance....fwiw, the Suzuki SV650 is made in Taiwan too....as well as many others. It will be a great motorcycle...who wants a sweet 07 KTM525EXC cheep?? Ton's of mods too!!
I've been told USA 450x will not be street legal.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #784
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
I've been told USA 450x will not be street legal.
not right off the bat..
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #785
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
News Flash

Got Some News:
California Is Screwed, 450 Did Not Meet Emmisions Standards. So, Sorry For Ca. Which Also Means More Bikes For The Rest Of The States. Price, Which Was Just Quoted By My Dealer Is 8195 Plus 500 Freight. Expensive, But I Was Prepared For More!
They Promised The Bike To Me "by The End Of The Month". Not Sure If All Dealers Will Have One Bike By The 20th Or All Bikes. We're Almost There!
__________________
"Its a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #786
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto
Got Some News:
California Is Screwed, 450 Did Not Meet Emmisions Standards. So, Sorry For Ca. Which Also Means More Bikes For The Rest Of The States. Price, Which Was Just Quoted By My Dealer Is 8195 Plus 500 Freight. Expensive, But I Was Prepared For More!
They Promised The Bike To Me "by The End Of The Month". Not Sure If All Dealers Will Have One Bike By The 20th Or All Bikes. We're Almost There!
I was promised more than one, less than five...
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #787
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
when

gs dude,
did you get a date the bikes will arrive?
__________________
"Its a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004


evanphoto screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 03:11 PM
evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #788
mulgathumper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mulgathumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreative
wow, thats as much as an austrian built street legal ktm. shouldn't the pricing be more in line with the japanese offerings since the motor is built in taiwan? is the bike going to be 50-state street legal?
I pick mine up at the end of next week. Cost in Australian dollars is $12450
plus on road costs.

That makes the G450X CHEAPER (in OZ) than the CR450X, KLX450F,WR450F and KTM 450.

As well as being the cheapest, You get: Ohlins rear Shock, EFI, 2 year warranty...... and everyone wanting wanting to look at the new G450X.

Any other new Jap or Euro bike I have bought gets a YAWWWWWN response, and the comment.. Is it a new one?

In regard to warranty, my WR450 (current ride) shit 2nd gear after 7 months. NO WARRANTY... SORRY SIR, then 4 weeks wait for parts, and a bill for $1200. Don't get me wrong, I love my WR... it's a fantastic bike, and I am going to be sorry to have to sell it

I'm not saying that BMW will honour the warranty in that situatiion, but at least you have a chance
mulgathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #789
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Your hint is the broken chains talked about on early G450's. This was one of the big probs with the ATK's with a similar system. You can't run a no slack chain. Now, as one of our posters indicated, BMW have put some slack back in. A good thing. So, to me, the concentric swingarm design could be suspect.

But lets wait and see. The ISDE results are VERY impressive indeed.
Congrats are in order. But lets see how they do world wide in various forms of competition.

If they don't race motocross, then they will operate at a continuous
loss. Which they can afford .... apparently .... as the Car division has supported the Bike division for MOST of BMW's history.

As BMW say, the bike division has always been to promote the prestige and image build and nostalgia, not just to make money.

It is only in the last six years or so that the bike division is running in the black. (mostly due to new R1200GS) Few of their other models are selling well. The G (X moto, X Country) bikes are sitting, the big 1200 in lines are too.

RT's good, GS good, G bike X challenge Good. Not so much for other stuff. But ALL the big four are seeing very slow sales, but dual sports are doing very well .... about 25% up!
I;m not sure what constitutes a no slack chain but my CRF450 runs a very tight chain.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #790
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto
gs dude,
did you get a date the bikes will arrive?
I was told this month....
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #791
DEANGELIS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DEANGELIS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
I've been told USA 450x will not be street legal.
In California.
__________________
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak english in What?

cool toys - http://stores.ebay.com/San-Diego-BMW...eNameZl2QQtZkm
DEANGELIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #792
GSDude
Banned
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
I;m not sure what constitutes a no slack chain but my CRF450 runs a very tight chain.
TIGHT CHAIN=EXCESSIVE SPROCKET AND COUNTERSHAFT SEAL WEAR...DAMHIK.
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #793
seanoj
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 13
Carb

Whole bunch of KTM's just got CA smogged. The Kawi Versys too. No BMW (yet). Still holding out hope...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php

-Sean
seanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #794
Steady
Flogster
 
Steady's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Oddometer: 281
Talking about price, it would seem as though BMW are pricing the bike to compete with the competition. Problem is that here in South Africa the KTM is overpriced when compared to the Jap bikes.

In the 450 category,

Yamaha WR450F R69999.00 (ZAR, that's SA Rands) US$ 8750.00
Honda CRF450X R 65000.00 US$ 81250.00
Kawasaki KDX450 R59999.00 US$ 7500.00

KTM EXC (2009) R 83999.00 US$ 10500.00
Husky TE450 (2008) R 74000.00 US$ 9250. Clearing 2007's at R59000.00

The BM's have arrived here but are not on the floor yet as they are awaiting the spares shipment, but they might be waiting to launch the bike after the annual GS Challenge, 24 - 29 September? Rumor has it that they will be priced at the same price as the KTM. What irritates me is that the engine is made in China to reduce costs but the savings are not being passed on to the consumer. The other problem I foresee is the cost of maintenance on this bike, BMW spares prices are outrageous in comparison with the Jap prices.
__________________
"1200GS. It's like the girl you marry, reliable, maybe a bit overweight but you know she will always look after you even though she may not be the most exciting ride.
HP2. Its like the pole dancer you
have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense." - scotsmun
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 AM   #795
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady
Talking about price, it would seem as though BMW are pricing the bike to compete with the competition. Problem is that here in South Africa the KTM is overpriced when compared to the Jap bikes.

In the 450 category,

Yamaha WR450F R69999.00 (ZAR, that's SA Rands) US$ 8750.00
Honda CRF450X R 65000.00 US$ 81250.00
Kawasaki KDX450 R59999.00 US$ 7500.00

KTM EXC (2009) R 83999.00 US$ 10500.00
Husky TE450 (2008) R 74000.00 US$ 9250. Clearing 2007's at R59000.00

The BM's have arrived here but are not on the floor yet as they are awaiting the spares shipment, but they might be waiting to launch the bike after the annual GS Challenge, 24 - 29 September? Rumor has it that they will be priced at the same price as the KTM. What irritates me is that the engine is made in China to reduce costs but the savings are not being passed on to the consumer. The other problem I foresee is the cost of maintenance on this bike, BMW spares prices are outrageous in comparison with the Jap prices.
Simple don't buy the bike.

The engine is made in Taiwan not China.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014