User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #31
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
OMG....

With some of you guys pulling up these ancient threads, I'm going to have to start checking dates before making a fool of myself.

I still love that Alternator system but yes, $800 is a lot of money. If the mod could be brought down in price, while still being doable for a shade tree mechanic, it could become a very popular mod and a huge gift to the Airhead community while making someone some $$$$..

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #32
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931
I think the stock rotor comes apart. When they get rewound they are taken apart and pressed back together. I'm not sure about that. I would probably chuck it up in a lathe and start taking metal off till I had a piece I could weld a pulley to. Something like that. But I think it would tell me how it comes apart while I was doing that.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 267
If you can live with 600w, try the ND alternators with built-in VR. We Guzzisti have been doing this for a long time.

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/m...tor_conversion

http://www.scramblercycle.com/alt-conversion.html
SpeedyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #34
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think the stock rotor comes apart. When they get rewound they are taken apart and pressed back together. I'm not sure about that. I would probably chuck it up in a lathe and start taking metal off till I had a piece I could weld a pulley to. Something like that. But I think it would tell me how it comes apart while I was doing that.

Charlie
that is correct... that rotor was apart to be wound and can be taken back. probably with a press.
got a lathe, milling machine, 30ton press and welders at home to do this job.

key will be to find an small alternator with correct brackets that will hold adjustment pulley and be easily bolted into engine housing. a flat belt or V belt depending on what parts are more easily modded for the job.

besides Greg's elegant 800 watt alternator solution. the highest output aftermarket alternator is about 450 watts or 37.5 amps @ 12v. vs lowest common modern automotive alternator would be 65 amps or 780 watts

that's why this old thread is still relevant....
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,014
Yeah, that's it ND - NIpon Denso. It's the smallest alternator available, but it's nowhere small enough to fit inside the front cover. I've got one - they can be found for a hundred bucks or less.

As for the pulley - there's no need to destroy a rotor to convert. I believe it's a standard taper, just have one made up that will take a pulley. And the flat belts are the best way to go - less tension on the cam front bearing.

Then cut off the top of the front cover and the timing chest, mount the alternator and a tensioner pulley near the location of the stator.

Not a big deal, except for all the cutting involved.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #36
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 713
Cool2 great possibility!

BUMP.
Very interesting story.....way back when....Thanks for the "resurrection".
spo
Old 12-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #37
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931
I know everybody really knows more than me so maybe there's reasons why this seems too complicated to me the way you all want to do this. I don't think you need an idle pulley, the moveable arm to the Alt is the adjustment. Have the taper made? Might be neater but by taking the rotor apart one should be easier to make. I swear if I had extra time I'd do this in a snap. Oh, the front cover, just cut a slot in it for the adjustment arm and V-Belt.

The only part that is anywhere near precision is making the rotor into a pulley. But it's very doable. The rest I'd do with a hack saw and hammers and chisels if I had to.

So why do you think there has to be an idle pulley?

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #38
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Quote:
So why do you think there has to be an idle pulley?

Charlie
Unless you mount the alternator off to the side, the only other spot large enough is above the case in front of the starter. There just isn't enough space to make the alternator adjustable - so the easiest solution is a belt tensioner, and mount the alternator solid.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So why do you think there has to be an idle pulley? Charlie
fun part will be to find an alternator short/small enough to fit in space available. hope I'm wrong, don't think there's enough room or a solid enough mount to provide a pivot point.

original design is pretty sound ... sure wish there was a parts kit without alternator available from original maker. does anyone know who the original maker is to find out?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #40
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Even if it's patented, any D.I.Y.'er is permitted to copy a patent if they want to.
That is most assuredly NOT the case. Unlikely you'd be sued, but if so you'd lose. "I'm a DYIer" is not a defense.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #41
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Even if it's patented, any D.I.Y.'er is permitted to copy a patent if they want to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
That is most assuredly NOT the case. Unlikely you'd be sued, but if so you'd lose. "I'm a DYIer" is not a defense.

Unless you're talking about software, you can use a patented idea/create a copy of a patented item for your own use. You might even get away with making a few copies, and giving them to some silent friends. BUT... making copies to sell, even a few, will be bring the lawyers out big-time.

Close, but no stogie.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #42
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

IMHO there is no way on god's green earth this is patentable.
driving an alternator off a pulley fitted on front crank shaft is what almost ALL vehicles on the road do.

that said... if original maker would offer a parts kit that was remotely reasonably priced. they would sell a ton of em. eliminating need to make one up.

this design elegantly removes the fundamental weakness of airhead charging system. which is alternator cannot spin faster than engine rpm.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #43
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,717
I dunno if I'd call a giant goiter hanging off the crashbar "elegant," but it does put out like a cheerleader on prom night.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #44
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I dunno if I'd call a giant goiter hanging off the crashbar "elegant," but it does put out like a cheerleader on prom night.
there are some very small mitsubishi alternators that put out good power and less than half the size of the normal gm 1 wire alternator. i am not sure if they are one wire or not, but most any alternator/generator shop can convert it
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #45
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

I've got a one wire ND and it's about the smallest alternator available. Hot Rodders use them because they fit into very tight spaces. They are very small - someting like six inches long and wide. But even that is too large to fit behind the points cover.

And, Stage, I agree, mounting one on the crashbar is unsightly, but that's not the one we're talking about; mounted above the engine in front of the starter similar to the oilheads.

And I also agree that there's no patent on that design and doubt it could even be patented. Even if it was, there's no law against me building something like that for myself.