Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Jeffro115 OP
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
Do you flash your headlights to get a slow cage to move over?

So my bike has a 'flash-to-pass' switch. Hmm. . . .never had a bike with that before, cool!

I figured that I'd probably hardy ever use it, but actually I've found that I use it a good bit.

When I'm riding in the left lane, and I see a car ahead poking along in the same lane (clueless. . . .) often I find myself flash the lights a couple times to wake them up so that they move over. Or at the least, it will make them aware that I'm on a bike and behind them.

Usually, the cars comply and move to the right lane. Sometimes they speed up or something, and after it is apparent that they're not gonna move over, I'll go around them on the right. But at least they know I'm there.

Now on my other bikes without the switch, I'd just signal and pass on the right, but who knows if the cage is aware that I'm even there passing them? I'd rather flash the high beam and wake them up, so that I know that I'm seen.

Occasionally, this pissed some cages off, too. I try not to do that, I don't keep the high beam on or anything, just a quick flash or two.

So, do you use it? Do you think it's appropriate in this circumstance? Do you think it's an agressive move? Or just plain rude?

I ask because out riding with some friends today, one of them was appalled by this behavior. He says it's best to just go around, since the other lane is most likely clear anyway. (I'm not talking about flashing when in traffic or anything, but on the open road.) That's what I used to do most of the time, but I think it surprises some people when you suddenly appear next to them on a motorcycle. Better to make them aware of my presence, I think.

So whaddya think?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
I run the high beam all the time & use the throttle for the flash & pass
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
psst
n00b ^ 2

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro115
So, do you use it? Do you think it's appropriate in this circumstance? Do you think it's an agressive move? Or just plain rude?
I do it if I'm in the fast lane, and they can move over, but aren't for some reason - but I don't do it right on their tail - usually about 4 seconds back, otherwise its just too pushy and likely to piss folks off. Always give them a nod and wave if they do move over for me. Get a lot of friendly waves back.
psst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
i usually hang back. if they move over. i give a wave after i've passed.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
rodentface
Maximus - Dorkus Maximus

Oddometer: 50
A handy feature, I agree. But I use it more frequently as I approach an intersection.

For drivers moving in the opposite direction that wish to turn left across my lane or any driver wishing to turn right into my lane, I find the flashing does a good job of alerting them to my presence. Many a time I've seen cars move towards crossing my path only to stop after I flash my brights. I typically flash well in advance of the intersection. It clearly increases conspicuity and, I'm convinced, has prevented many dangerous situations.
rodentface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
No flash, just gas and pass. On the other hand, if I had a headlight modulator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,915
In my experience, I've found that flashing to pass equates to "slow down and block" in cager speak. I have no qualms with passing on the right if they are playing the "you vill do zee speedlimit" routine. I typically wait until they are looking away and BAM there I go.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
I don't. I pretty much just run away if people are being that oblivious. Then again I generally don't ride around large highways where it would be acceptable. Screw superslab!
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro115
So my bike has a 'flash-to-pass' switch.
I *** LOVE*** the one on the wee.
Hmm. . . .never had a bike with that before, cool!
So, do you use it? Do you think it's appropriate in this circumstance? Do you think it's an agressive move? Or just plain rude?[/quote]

I've never used it in that fashion. What I have and continue to use it for is when I'm approaching a cage going the other way and attempting to turn left, or a cage at a right-side intersection trying to turn right to join my lane. I've often flashed my highs previously, in such situations, and the wee's flash-to-pass button serves nicely as a "yo, butthead, I'm here" button.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider
In my experience, I've found that flashing to pass equates to "slow down and block" in cager speak. I have no qualms with passing on the right if they are playing the "you vill do zee speedlimit" routine. I typically wait until they are looking away and BAM there I go.
Yeah, it really seems to piss off people. I'll flutter the lights when I'm not sure if I've been seen at an intersection.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #11
happycommuter
Boy in the hood

Oddometer: 60
I find that people generally react appropriately when I flash them from the cage, but it never really dawned on me to do so on the bike. Flicking a thumbswitch does seem easier than my 'move over' swatting gesture, which is totally ineffective.

Anyway, people really hate getting honked at, and stock bike horns are a joke anyway, so beam away.
happycommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Weasel
I've never used it in that fashion. What I have and continue to use it for is when I'm approaching a cage going the other way and attempting to turn left, or a cage at a right-side intersection trying to turn right to join my lane. I've often flashed my highs previously, in such situations, and the wee's flash-to-pass button serves nicely as a "yo, butthead, I'm here" button.
Until the day that someone in that situation takes your flashing as permission to make their move - at least over here in that sort of situation it means "I've seen you wanting to turn, I'm going to let you turn in front of me".

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #13
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Weasel
. . in such situations..the wee's flash-to-pass button serves nicely as a "yo, butthead, I'm here" button.
+1 . . Woah, careful dude. That flash can be interpreted as "yo, I'm a butthead, turn in front of me."

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

+1 . . Woah, careful dude. That flash can be interpreted as "yo, I'm a butthead, turn in front of me."

- Jim
It's funny, I always thought it meant "you go first" until my old boss and I were zipping through an intersection (he was driving) in his Ford Ranchero & the light was turning yellow and a car was waiting to turn left in front of us. He flashed his lights repeatedly and said "coming through!" (to me, of course…so that didn't really help)…and she turned and we nailed her, totalling both cars. They then had a really interesting discussion on the meaning of flashing your headlights. The moral being it means the opposite thing to some people, kind of like your turn signals in Mexico.

I'd say it definitely means "move over" when you're behind someone on the slab, but people also seem to take that as some act of hostility…because people are stupid.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #15
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
I have tried my flash to pass switch on the ktm but it never seems to get anyones attention. During the day I have the high beam on anyways so if i want to use the flash to pass I have to go back the low beam and hit the button. My experiences with trying it on the interstate is that people are oblivious to who is behind them. So it rarely works. Mabey if you hade some 500W driving lights where they could feel the back of their necks singing.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote