Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #2146
DirtFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
[quote=Dr.Z]Saw the Doc today & he believes I tore my ACL. I'll be having an MRI in a few days to confirm. If it is, needless to say, I won't be riding for a while!

Dr.Z, sorry to hear of your doctors report on your knee! All you can do is what they tell you to, and get better soon!

DirtFun
DirtFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #2147
Horatio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
I plan on it!

I think this has been coming on for a long time. I've had issues with my right knee before. I can't believe I tore it because when it happened, I didn't twist my knee in an awkward manner or do anything that I think would have caused it. I simply put my foot down & then I heard all the popping sounds.
Popping sounds... ouch! Get better soon!!!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #2148
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,800
Yes, all this crashing with bodily damage must cease. I dont know how many of you guys get over to the perfect line, but this thread was a good read if long winded.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289786

This is stuff I think about alot. I do enjoy the small groups best, we should split up when there are more than 5 or so IMO. That way we are always in a group of 3-5. It is good to have some numbers during hunting season though, so they dont get any ideas.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #2149
Barkmagnet
Kuntz Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Saw the Doc today & he believes I tore my ACL. I'll be having an MRI in a few days to confirm. If it is, needless to say, I won't be riding for a while!

At least I can count on you FF's to post pics so I can see the fun I'm missing out on. I'll be out there sooner than you know it.
That sucks DrZ. I hope all turns out ok.
I am going tomorrow to pick up my old MRI and get a second opinion, I don't think the doc fixed the problem the 1st time. And this shit happened at Devils Creek, almost a year ago.
Still limping.
Ahhh, what's the difference?
As long as we make it acrossed the river.
Barkmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #2150
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,800
Good luck to you too BM. I see why you have not been riding so much, that knee has been bothering you all along. I have been telling all the other guys that you are just pussy whipped.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #2151
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkmagnet
I am going tomorrow to pick up my old MRI and get a second opinion, I don't think the doc fixed the problem the 1st time. And this shit happened at Devils Creek, almost a year ago.
Still limping.
That blows BM! Hopefully, he'll get it right the second time around although he should've got it right the first time.

Thanks for the good wishes from everyone. It is what it is. I'll get it taken care of and be out there having fun in no time.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #2152
DirtFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
[quote=Philip Kuntz]Yes, all this crashing with bodily damage must cease. I dont know how many of you guys get over to the perfect line, but this thread was a good read if long winded.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289786

PK, good work on finding/recommending this site. I read most of it. I think the Sand Fleas do a good job with the group rides I've been on.
I feel the most important aspect in regard to the individual riding a dirt or street bike is; RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. Be in control of your own throttle, brakes, gear selection etc.. In the dirt on a single track or ATV track there should be no passing. If every rider, rides their own ride, then position in the pack usually takes care of itself in the single/ATV trails. Passing is okay on the long straight roads-a favorite of ChrisE and Sinner (like the road along the power line).
Whoever is leading at the time that a trail or road crosses another trail or road, the first rider/leader stops to make sure all the other riders know where to go and to make sure all riders are accounted for.
No one criticizes how fast or slow another rider is CHOOSING to ride. However, if the ride is going to primarly be single/ATV track riding and you show up with a BMW GS1200, you're most likely going to be a drag on the rest of the group that are riding proper enduro machines. The GS guy is mixing apples with oranges and that is not fair to the group. This is where the GS guy uses courtesy BEFORE the ride to find out what type of ride it's going to be. If all riders are on similar machines, then even the slowest rider is never really that much farther behind the lead rider when the lead rider stops for a trail/direction change. Therefore, in regard to 6-10 riders, it does not matter how large the group is IMO.

DirtFun
DirtFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #2153
bronc3
Lucky 13

Oddometer: 1,731
Good points in that thread.

I always enjoy the group rides, I just try to employ common sense and try to ensure nobody is left behind. I also would never pressure anyone to ride beyond their ability. I try to make it clear that nobody needs to kill themselves to keep up; it is about having fun. We might play around and rib each other, but if you come to one of these wanting to race you've come for the wrong reason.

The different bikes and different skill levels help make it fun.

I don't mind following a slower rider, just have to be careful you don't pressure him/her.

I do hate getting caught behind quads on a narrow trail. They always act like they're going like crazy, when in reality they're just creeping along, stirring up dust, hanging on for dear life, and holding up two-wheeled traffic.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #2154
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,731
just wanted to show you guys our soon to be new riding area...the almost empty lake lanier

this road was 30 feet below and was flooded when the lake was built, you can now walk across the lake on the perfectly intact old hwy. which now sits 6-7 feet above the lake

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #2155
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
just wanted to show you guys our soon to be new riding area...the almost empty lake lanier
this road was 30 feet below and was flooded when the lake was built, you can now walk across the lake on the perfectly intact old hwy. which now sits 6-7 feet above the lake

That's a pretty serious situation you guys are in up there. I didn't know it was that bad. Best of luck to you guys and hope you get lots & lots of rain soon!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #2156
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,925
I think the Fleas do a pretty good job with the ettiquette (sp?), though smaller groups are probably a good idea. There are times we need to space out a bit more so someone doesn't get run over in the event of a crash, but that would be my only observation.

Lucky: That's some serious shit. If that road was 30 feet under water, then all those trees have grown up since the lake has been low, which means this is a crisis that has been a long time coming. Wow.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #2157
bronc3
Lucky 13

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I think the Fleas do a pretty good job with the ettiquette (sp?), though smaller groups are probably a good idea. There are times we need to space out a bit more so someone doesn't get run over in the event of a crash, but that would be my only observation.

I always have a great time with the Fleas, no complaints. Everyone seems reasonably careful and very considerate. Sinner crashes nicely too, and I always follow at a safe distance to avoid running him over.

I gotta get a helmet cam.......
Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #2158
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe

Lucky: That's some serious shit. If that road was 30 feet under water, then all those trees have grown up since the lake has been low, which means this is a crisis that has been a long time coming. Wow.
the problem is that georgia has outgrown itself. our water supply can no longer sustain its population. and npo rain this year has hurt us bad. weve been in drought roughly a year now, and the drought is expected to continue for 4 years to come. lanier has approximatly 72 days of water left.

the good news about this....there is no law that says you cant ride a dirt bike on the lake.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #2159
Horatio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
That's a really bad situation. Is this picture in Gwinnett or Forsyth County?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #2160
ChrisE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
When I rode with a group out of MD/VA area, and believe it or not, most of the riding was down in Croom and Ocala, we had a couple of simple rules,

A) Know the rider who is following you.
B) Always stop when ever a trail splits or you are making a turn onto another trail. When the ridier following you catches up, he gives the go ahead and then stops and waits for the next guy.

This allowed groups of 10-15 riders to spread out over a couple of miles, but we never left anyone behind. Natural obstacles, mud holes, logs, etc., would allow the group to bunch up.

We'd let the faster guys go first.

The group would periodically stop about every 20 minutes and allow everyone to catch back up.

The only problem with this is that the guys towards the rear of the group get a shorter rest, that's why I like to ride towards the front.

It seemed to work.
'05 BMW R1200RT
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'76 Honda CB400F
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote