Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #8311
Das Perp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
You have a good sense of humor, you will do just fine.

I have been riding in ONF since 2006, and logged many miles out there. I started with the wrong riding gear and the wrong tires, and now I see how lucky I am to still be doing this. I still crash sometimes, so far my gear has done its job.

If you are a small guy, I have an MX chest protector and an MX Jersey that I will give you.

You should also have knee pads on, I have a $20 pair that do just fine. They don't help with twisting injuries, but will stop sharp tree branches from poking holes in you, or breaking your knee cap into pieces. I had to get a small hole poked in my knee before I bought them.
Thanks! I'm a fairly big guy, sadly. I appreciate the offer, though. Good call on the kneepads.. Off road pants don't have knee protection built in, then? Would you say a chest protector is optional? I don't want any extra holes poked in me.
Das Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #8312
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,663
The chest protector is not something I would ride without.

I would consider a downhill Mt. Biking pressure suit, like the 661 suit I have if funds are limited. It can be had for around $60 now.

I want to buy an Alpinestar Bionic Jacket, they run about $230. And also a neck brace, I think the EVS are down to around $200.

You will want some stuff for your bike too, if it is not equipped. Barkbusters, case savers, and brake snakes are well worth it. At the very least, they keep you from breaking things off the bike that you need.

This is not a really cheap hobby, but once you fork out several grand its cheap to do. I live 10 miles from ONF, so I ride the bike out and back. Ten bucks for gas, and I can ride all day.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #8313
footediddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
anybody ride east coast cocoa beach? area???

I posted about 4 pages back and haven't seen anything about it, looks like one hell of a good time to be had on that run in I believe tenn.. I live out in cocoa and ride in holopaw 5A and anywhere in between. those two I usually have my quad but then again when I was there i didn't have my bike. just looking for people to ride with that are dual sporters
footediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #8314
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
This is not a really cheap hobby, but once you fork out several grand its cheap to do. I live 10 miles from ONF, so I ride the bike out and back. Ten bucks for gas, and I can ride all day.
Sometimes several grand is cheap for a hobby DAMHIK

When I told Mini I couldn't ride his 690 cause I couldn't buy a $10,000 dirtbike he said "why not, you bought five $2,000 ones."

DRZ needs a few things like PK said, but none are really going to break the bank. Do it a little along and work your way up to a well sorted out scoot. Your gear needs to come first though
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #8315
RichardD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by footediddy View Post
I posted about 4 pages back and haven't seen anything about it, looks like one hell of a good time to be had on that run in I believe tenn.. I live out in cocoa and ride in holopaw 5A and anywhere in between. those two I usually have my quad but then again when I was there i didn't have my bike. just looking for people to ride with that are dual sporters
Check out the Apollo motorcycle club. they have an event coming up where you can meet their members. I know some of them ride dual sport. http://www.apollomotorcycleclub.com/ click on events when you open their website.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #8316
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,733
Quote:

I wouldn't mind checking out some riding around the Holopaw area. I'm not too far from there. Let me know when you want to ride and I'll meet you there.

That TN/NC trip will be a good one!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #8317
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,732
Ian, you're getting some good intel here from some guys with bona-fide Chops

I'll echo that boots and knees come first. Off-tarmac riding as this crowd does is an ever-present opportunity to fuck knees and ankles. If you can develop the instinct to tuck-and-roll in a get-off, you'll be ahead of the game. Until then, armor-up, n00b

A caution that i've learned from: if you ride with true Talented old-schoolers (read: ex-racers etc), you'll see some of them in short ankle workboots, wearing windbreakers and Great Gazoo helmets and no goggles. This minimalism is a badge of honor to them. Know that. These veterans no matter how old can usually ride shit-circles around any of us-- they have the long-earned Chops to get away with minimal gear. You don't.

They can pull that off via 40 years of experience, and hats off to them.

The rest of us need armor. A few bucks worth of plastic, leather, and nylon get me to Monday morning work stuff in one piece. I have health insurance and am covered stem-to-stern, but a trail injury that some PPE could have prevented makes a few pads and boots a no-brainer

These FF pals of mine won't steer you wrong. Keep absorbing
Mugwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #8318
OtownMike
Electron Pusher

Oddometer: 281
Hey Ian, some good gear advice your getting here. I dont feel right riding without my boots and knee guards. I even wear them on longer street rides (I usually find a little dirt somewhere).
I just got a Joe Rocket dual sport helmet that I am very happy with. Much nicer at speed on the street, dont need to wear ear plugs anymore. You can also use it with goggles, although I havent needed to yet. Last time I rode ONF trails a few weeks ago it was pretty hot, but I never put on the goggles, just used the sheild. The replacements are only about $30 if it gets scratched by a branch ect.
If Im trucking the 640 somewhere to ride, I wear my chest protector. It has saved me a few bruises from branches thwaping me in the chest. If Im riding the 950 (or 640 for that matter) for a distance to get to the dirt, I wear my mesh jacket. I have a silver one that helps with the heat, black gear = too hot. Not as good as a chest protector, but better on the street and does offer a bit of armor for the branches. Pressure suit is probably best of both worlds, just havent seen many that arent black!
OtownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #8319
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Ian, you're getting some good intel here from some guys with bona-fide Chops (and Buzztail)
I adjusted to reflect reality
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #8320
footediddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
I wouldn't mind checking out some riding around the Holopaw area. I'm not too far from there. Let me know when you want to ride and I'll meet you there.

That TN/NC trip will be a good one!

i'll let ya know when i'm gonna head back out there, another place close to us is dirty foot, ever heard of that? they have a website its probably 30 minutes or so south of marigold in poinciana to give you an idea of distance
footediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #8321
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,848
Helmet

I just picked up an AFX FX-39 it is a bit noisy but it vents well. At 3.5 lbs it isn't the lightest but it feels good for a hundred buck lid. Comes with conversion plate to to mount the shield without the the visor.
Great bargain @ $114

motorcyclesuperstore

Video Review

jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #8322
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,733
Quote:
another place close to us is dirty foot, ever heard of that? they have a website its probably 30 minutes or so south of marigold in poinciana to give you an idea of distance

Just looked it up. It's in Ft. Meade. It looks like you need to be a member to ride the area. May be worth checking out if there are some good trails.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #8323
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Just looked it up. It's in Ft. Meade. It looks like you need to be a member to ride the area. May be worth checking out if there are some good trails.
It's pay per day deal, good fooks that run the place....just infested with 4 wheeled Coackroaches & can be little wet. We'll do ride down there soon.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #8324
thisguy72
Still Waves To Scooters

Oddometer: 132
I have been looking into going to this place for a while now. Because my bike is not street legal I have this place on my list. Let me know when anyone goes. If it's a Sunday, I'm in.
thisguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #8325
shakin_jake
F-u-h-r-i-ggg!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
I just picked up an AFX FX-39 it is a bit noisy but it vents well. At 3.5 lbs it isn't the lightest but it feels good for a hundred buck lid. Comes with conversion plate to to mount the shield without the the visor.
Great bargain @ $114

motorcyclesuperstore

Video Review

~~~Looks like a nice helmet for the money...here's what I'm using currently

Picked it up at the Honda dealer in Ocala last year? DOT approved only, no Snell, so you will probably only want to crash into a soft tree

nice thread, and the boys are right, you need good gear off road. here's the boots I'm using,also bought at Ocala Motorsports

About $200, maybe they were a buck eighty. They run small so buy a size larger if you get them off the internet

FWIW I wore my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants off road a lot last year when I was riding the north west end of big sandy all by my lonesome. that jacket will protect your arms and chest some and the knee pads in the pants deflected big honkin branches well but nothing beats a good pair of knee/shin pads under some MX pants. I'm trying to remember, I think I wore these pants a time or two last year

Then I quit drinking beer, lost 40 lbs and they were too big...but when I wore them, and not wantiong to drop $20+ for knee shin pads, I did have a nice pair of carpenter/construction type knee protectors that fit well, so I wore those under these pants. Somes better than nones

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two
shakin_jake is offline   Reply With Quote