Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #9393
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Deal! still got some spare knobs?

Fresh out of big block take offs!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #9394
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,799
Meh, These are trails, and these tires say Trailwing on the so I should be able to fly down the trails on them...
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #9395
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Meh, These are trails, and these tires say Trailwing on the so I should be able to fly down the trails on them...

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #9396
Tazs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hernando.... little history about this area. Hernando was a hot spot for riders from all over Fl. even over croom with about 100 or more riders on the weekends about 18 years ago. You could get lost on either side of HWY 41 it was that big of an area. Then about 18 years ago one weekend it all came to a stop, Riders was told by sheriff's on horseback and patrol cars in parking areas that this would be the last weekend and to stay on the south-side of HWY 41 just for that last day. This was one of about four good free areas with hills near Ocala we used for bikes & atv's.... All of them was shut down over the years. Ocala hardrock went private (pay).
This link PK put up four years ago is the same place http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345630 .
Hernando was a fantastic place to ride and still has some nice areas to ride. But with that being said, it is not public land and some if not most of the area as posted signs. I drop in on a small dirt road that I did not see any signs, but I would hate to see anyone drive from far away to have there ride turn into a very short ride or worse. I did see fresh tracks on the south side, little more raw on the north side.
Now with all that said... I hate to see my favorite riding area not be put to good use !!!! My opinion, park west 200 at Ocala wallmart 15 min. ride to Hernando and less conspicuous then parking at Hernando park (boat ramps) or on the side of the road. Dirt road going into riding area is very deep sand and would be a challenge for most 4x4. And I think three or four riders at most on any trip may help keep a low profile.

wow.. sorry for all that... i just need to get that off my chest..

Look forward to trying to get a few more rides out of Hernando before its gone from so called progress.

Tazs

Tazs ....
Tazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #9397
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazs View Post
Hernando.... little history about this area. Hernando was a hot spot for riders from all over Fl. even over croom with about 100 or more riders on the weekends about 18 years ago. You could get lost on either side of HWY 41 it was that big of an area. Then about 18 years ago one weekend it all came to a stop, Riders was told by sheriff's on horseback and patrol cars in parking areas that this would be the last weekend and to stay on the south-side of HWY 41 just for that last day. This was one of about four good free areas with hills near Ocala we used for bikes & atv's.... All of them was shut down over the years. Ocala hardrock went private (pay).
This link PK put up four years ago is the same place http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345630 .
Hernando was a fantastic place to ride and still has some nice areas to ride. But with that being said, it is not public land and some if not most of the area as posted signs. I drop in on a small dirt road that I did not see any signs, but I would hate to see anyone drive from far away to have there ride turn into a very short ride or worse. I did see fresh tracks on the south side, little more raw on the north side.
Now with all that said... I hate to see my favorite riding area not be put to good use !!!! My opinion, park west 200 at Ocala wallmart 15 min. ride to Hernando and less conspicuous then parking at Hernando park (boat ramps) or on the side of the road. Dirt road going into riding area is very deep sand and would be a challenge for most 4x4. And I think three or four riders at most on any trip may help keep a low profile.

wow.. sorry for all that... i just need to get that off my chest..

Look forward to trying to get a few more rides out of Hernando before its gone from so called progress.

Tazs
IIt looks like a property that we were taking our Jeeps to.....and my Buddies were run off that property about 2 months ago....by local law enforcement. Low profile & quiet bikes.....
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #9398
buryurfear14
offroad junkie

Oddometer: 199
I live just south of the 41/200 split by the lake. I haven't been out there in years just because I know I'll grenade myself off on of those hills and never be found lol. South of the Walmart (on 200) there is also a campground/Trail head with horse trails and some awesome mountain biking trails called Ross Prairie. There's a park ranger that hangs out on a mule all day so no worry of break-ins.

There is at least one officer driving around an F150 with what looks to be a 500 utility quad that patrols the area from time to time. I've never heard of anyone getting arrested or their bikes taken. If you get stopped just be respectful.
buryurfear14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #9399
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Ride, Ride, Ride

Yea Ive road down in the hernando area for 20 yrs. Like said before, they cleared the place years ago, but I was there a year or 2 ago no problem. I park at the same place for years and know the place well. If anyone wants to ride there sometime let me know, there's enough there to spend most of the day. I wouldn't suggest any heavy DS's , I ride my KTM 250xcw there. I would never ride my DR650 there, too much sand. Any 450 or less with good tires will do fine. there is some nice single track and plenty of nasty hill climbs. I would suggest not to ride till that area gets some good rain though.
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #9400
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,322
I went out solo last Fri morning around the Wiregrass trail - same place we rode last time. Nothing special kept it upright, around 3 hours and 45 some miles. Not many pix. Had to take Mrs. Manfus cam - the dust killed my last 2 so I kept hers tucked away most the time.

Started with a E Bro's everything bago and a Autumn roast jave. It's 43 miles from the beach to the parking spot and an easy ride out 40 to Atstor then south to the springs. 54' on the ride out which was 16' cooler than the last time we got together out there. Nice crisp morning. Had to turn on the feet heat. I enjoy getting out of town and into the country every now and then.

I spent most the time between the parking spot and Paisley Rd. I came across a cool pine forest near Mud Pond to take a break. The single pix was taken near a random sink hole. Saw a few of em but this was the deepest and held water. The last little rip was the 16 mile WWT. Easy to follow the purple triangle markers as it wound through atv and jeep trails.

I unloaded at 9 was back a the rig by noonish. I saw 2 hunters and one Jeeper. A bunch of grey squirrel. I'll check the legality of riding with pump gun in that area .

Nice half day tour.
When's the next ride?

Colemanfu screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 05:07 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #9401
BoRkA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcountry04 View Post
Yea Ive road down in the hernando area for 20 yrs. Like said before, they cleared the place years ago, but I was there a year or 2 ago no problem. I park at the same place for years and know the place well. If anyone wants to ride there sometime let me know, there's enough there to spend most of the day. I wouldn't suggest any heavy DS's , I ride my KTM 250xcw there. I would never ride my DR650 there, too much sand. Any 450 or less with good tires will do fine. there is some nice single track and plenty of nasty hill climbs. I would suggest not to ride till that area gets some good rain though.
ill be riding there on saturday, around 10am.

Should i park the car/trailer at the boat launch ramp, which is a little south of the riding area?

want to join?
BoRkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #9402
Tazs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hernando

Not sure about were to park with the trailer. ill be riding from Ocala and will grab me a mt. dew at the cumberland farms conveniece store at 200 & 41 around 10am and see if ya around...

Tazs ....
Tazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #9403
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,849
Quote:
A bunch of grey squirrel. I'll check the legality of riding with pump gun in that area .
Open carry is legal if you are going hunting, fishing or to the range, just don't shoot from the bike.
Delicate-Man does it around Orlando all the time.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #9404
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,322
I was thining more of this (on a sling).......

not one of these on hip
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #9405
BoRkA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazs View Post
Not sure about were to park with the trailer. ill be riding from Ocala and will grab me a mt. dew at the cumberland farms conveniece store at 200 & 41 around 10am and see if ya around...
Sure, ill stop y there at 10
BoRkA is offline   Reply With Quote