Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
GTinAus
nutsplitter

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayashko
How have you found the throat mics? I'm not impressed with the standard autocom voice mic…
Throat mikes are good, very clear, no wind noise. PTT button is on a long cable, and has a piece of velcro on the back of it.

However, sometimes when my wife uses it on the bike, she comes through very clear, non garbled but sounds just like my 2 year old grandaughter.....clear as a bell....just cant understand what she says...(OK, OK...you could insert all sorts of smart comments here...she however understands me).

I think it may have something to do with the acoustic earpiece (the clear plastic tube, comes from the speaker down near the Mike). Plus I have industrial deafness from loud and high pitched noise,

GTinAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #32
DaveO
BOF

Oddometer: 162
As no-one seems to have spelled this out, Watts = Range.

My estimate would be:

1W = 3-5km
3W = 10-12km
5W = 15-18km

Bear in mind that you are limited both by the terrain and by the antenna.
My best ever repeatable performance was on the Nullabor with my 5W Icom unit connected to a GPI antenna, when I could reliably receive and transmit 27-28km. Reduced to the rubber ducky antenna, this dropped to 18-20km.

If you want range, you could think about a bike-mounted antenna for those occasions.

Surplus range isn't always a good thing, because you could then be pulling in other transmissions you don't want to hear, which could interfere with your own riding group's communications

DaveO
DaveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #33
Beemerbird
RTW Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
12v charger for Uniden 075 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64
I have a Uniden UH075 which is water resistant and also an Autocom system..

The only down side to the Uniden is that the battery only lasts for 12 hours between recharges.. As far as I know there is no power supply that can be hooked direct to this unit.. It can sit in it`s own recharge cradle but that would be no good for traveling..
There is a 12v charger available for the 075 (now discontinued), 078 (which takes over from the 075) and the 073. Also suits the GME TX630

Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/2qhrjy from the same place as mentioned previously - uhf_gps_plusmore. Hmmm, hope the tiny url works OK.

Cheers
Margaret
Beemerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #34
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 847
I have an 075 as well

but I can't find where the 12 volt charger plugs in.
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 AM   #35
Beemerbird
RTW Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Charger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdag
but I can't find where the 12 volt charger plugs in.
From what I can work out (I don't have one) it somehow fits where the batteries go, I believe. At least, that's what I assumed.

I have decided to go with the newer 078, which comes with 2 batteries. So I'll just plug the AC charger into the inverter which I'll have on board and charge the spare battery as I go.

edit: Sorry! you need to use the charger cradle, and the cable plugs into that, not into the unit itself. Probably more suitable for cars than bikes, but better than buying myriads of batteries all the time.

Margaret
Beemerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #36
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 847
Tar options

Of course.
As my offspring keep telling me, i'm fermenting.
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #37
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley
Have had a GME TX6000 for years..........reliable as an axe........the bigger the wattage you get,the better in my humble opinion...............
How often have you used it Paul

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #38
rossf650dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO
Surplus range isn't always a good thing, because you could then be pulling in other transmissions you don't want to hear, which could interfere with your own riding group's communications

DaveO
Squelch? I thought that's what this did but I could be wrong....
rossf650dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #39
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossf650dakar
Squelch? I thought that's what this did but I could be wrong....
Your not.........
ktmgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #40
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinAus
May not be much interest, but I bought one of those cheap UHF radios off ebay (out of Hong Kong).

It is a programmable 5.0/0.5 watt model and is branded KYD.

It covers the UHF spectrum from 400MHz to 480MHz, which includes all the CB uhf channels, as well as the RFS PMR channels (which is why I bought it, to evaluate), some police frequencys etc.

I am actually very impressed with it, for a cost of AU$59.00, plus $27.00 postage, it is an impressive radio.

I have all the frequencies I need programmed into it (I have a list of frequencies), including the CB channels.

The battery life on standby is 2 to 3 days, which is good, but the thing that impressed me about it, it is TOUGH.

I have throat mikes, with acoustic ear peices for them, and my wife and I sometimes use them on low power for pillion to rider communication (I dont listen to music, and the last thing I want to do is answer a damm phone when riding, so no intercomm system). This is where I know they are tough. I carry mine in my jacket pocket, and whilst riding, I reached in to my pocket to adjust the volume, and when I pulled my hand out, guess what came with it?

It detached itself from the cord, and dropped onto the roadway (tar). We were doing about 80K's at the time. I stopped, did a U turn, saw it still on the roadway, did another U turn and kicked it off the road, before it could get run over.

I thought, OK, no great loss, cheap radio.

Imagine my surprise, when I picked it up, a little bruising and gravel rash, but apart from that completly undamaged. The battery was even still attatched.

Why I am saying this, is because about 8 months ago, I dropped a Motorola (about $1200 worth, and not mine) out of a stationary truck onto concrete, and it broke into 5 pieces.
Wow their prices seem weird, 50 odd for 1radio, 216$ for 4 radios, seem to be more offers as you scroll down their add for the same radio.
ktmgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #41
pilbaralad
Isolated n00b

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Doctor
Gman640 and I both run gme tx6200 with the ptt button attached to our camelbag chest strap and carry the radios in our camelbacks.

Both have the trailzone set up and they work well up to about 70km/h after that you know when somebody is speaking but not much else. good for warnings about oncoming cars, stock on the road etc etc

Found that if there are 2 many cables (such as the ptt and/or power cable) attached between you and the bike you will break one the first time you have a lay down.

ktmajor has a good set up.

range depends on the terrain 10-15k out west 1-2k in really hilly areas.
The autocom I just installed has the option of having a 9v battery to power it so if you dont want leads between you and the bike you are completely portable. I am very impressed with the Autocom connnected to my Uniden UHF, clear as and love the music from my MP3 in the background too on long days.
DL650K7, OEM centrestand, Givi crashbars, Ventura rack and bag, Oxford Soft Pannier Bags, SWMotech Quicklock Trial Tank Bag, Ventura headlight guard, Dan V Skidplate, Dan V Radiator and Oil Cooler guards, Dan V Luggage protector, Hyperlites, Madstad windshield bracket, Eagle Touring Screen, Pyramid Fenda Extenda, Crampbuster, Kaoko Throttle Lock, Pacsafe, Shark Helmet, Dryrider Rallycross Jacket & Gloves, Draggin Cargo pants, Stromtrooper t shirt, Sidi B-two air boots.
pilbaralad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #42
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Oddometer: 628
Where's Gonz in all this? PM him if you want some info on his gear.

I was going to buy a unit from him, but I only wanted soley a UHF unit. Where his Autocomm units had expandability for mp3, FM, phone, etc.
I normally go quality and am prepared to pay for it, but I saw a really cheap set-up on eBay(sorry Gonz).. a 1.5w Digitalk radio with the usual spider's web of ptt, etc, hook-ups.
Just came back from 2 weeks of testing it. Result.. I'm 80% happy with it, 100% when you consider the price. I was travelling with 2 4X4s and could hear everything they said clearly. They could hear me only when at 50km or less, simply due to wind noise through the open face's mouth grill. In a full face I imagine higher speed tolerances.
If I was ahead and passed through a gate that was open, all I did was slow to 40, tell 'em "leave gate open", and take off again. No real hinderance...again, for the price.

Edit: $99 + postage - can't remember the seller, but easy enough to find if he's still selling.

Canuck in Oz screwed with this post 05-12-2007 at 11:16 PM
Canuck in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #43
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Oz
Just came back from 2 weeks of testing it.
Hi Canuck..

When are we seeing a ride report of this trip mate?? No excuses about being two weeks behind with orders either..
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #44
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Oddometer: 628
Hey ol' buddy ol' pal. You kiddin', I've got my priorities straight, Will post all my pics tonight...after CSI.
Actually, it's Marovic who must be neck deep in orders as I haven't received any boxes in 3 weeks.
(And people keep asking me for freebies )
Canuck in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #45
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Ok, so I have come around to needing to set myself up with a UHF system....

I've been researching a number of threads here, TBAM, some manufacturers sites, and also:

http://www.prestigecom.net.au
http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/We.../intercoms.htm
http://www.davbiks.tk/

I have come to the following conclusion about the two 5W units that I should be looking at:

GME TX6200
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index....products_id=36
$365 delivered to my door, and a good unit that a fair few people seam to run, however NOT WATERPROOF, so not suitable for mounting on handlebars, but would suit a 'camelback' setup (read on)

Uniden UH078
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index....roducts_id=540
$299 delivered to my door, AND WATERPROOF. So its cheaper, and waterproof, so would suit a handle bar setup

At the moment, with an upcoming Simpson trip, I think a radio in the camelback would be better, as I anticipate a fair bit of falling off, and walking around away from the bike. Am still looking towards the Uniden though, as can be set-up on the bars at a later date, and will be waterproof.

Now, as far as the PTT and earpiece goes, I see people talking about a certain DAYS MOTORCYCLE (trailzone?) setup. I searched this, and only came up with a mower shop. I have had a quick look at the two other suggested options, the Baehr and Autocomm, and see that they will eventually suit me better (future handlebar setup), and perhaps I should invest in such straight up?

QUESTION: can the Baehr system be run with batteries (like the Autocomm can a 9V), and be run as a "Camelback" setup?

QUESTION: if "no" to above, what else is available?

QUESTION: the GME is NOT waterproof (??), and considering I want
to eventually mount on the bars, the Uniden would be better (and cheaper)??

QUESTION: can either radio be hard wired to the bike instead of having to run batteries? (from what I've read, not the Uniden, but a 12V charger to suit the 240V cradle is availale.)

Thanks for any replies,
Dan
(P.S, I am continuing my research, so sorry if any of my Q's are easily answered through the websites)
DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote