User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #61
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,082
UHF Radio Thread

There was a thread here a few months ago concerning UHF radios and bike to bike comms etc. There was much discussion about what wattage was needed and that high power isn`t alway`s best, that sort of thing.

As I am belatedly thinking about doing something about this subject for the forthcoming trip "oop north" could somebody please post a link to the thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #62
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
There was a thread here a few months ago concerning UHF radios and bike to bike comms etc. There was much discussion about what wattage was needed and that high power isn`t alway`s best, that sort of thing.

As I am belatedly thinking about doing something about this subject for the forthcoming trip "oop north" could somebody please post a link to the thread?
here ya go
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #63
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 807
Quote:

More power is always best, just ask Ray.

Bulldust
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #64
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust
More power is always best, just ask Ray.

I was, saw his setup today, and as you have UHF and are coming(?) as well I thought I`d better do something about it. I can just see you two turning left and me turning right in a dream and getting hopelessly lost.

PS. Thanks Greg

Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #65
TwoTone
My 2 passions

Oddometer: 280
Quote:

A 5 watter is good but is even better with a bigger antnae GME have them from $35
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM   #66
Bulldust
Bulldust

Quote:
I was, saw his setup today, and as you have UHF and are coming(?) as well I thought I`d better do something about it. I can just see you two turning left and me turning right in a dream and getting hopelessly lost.

PS. Thanks Greg
We are both running the Uniden UH078SX which has a selectable power output of 0.5W/1W/5W so if we are just communicating between the bikes a lower power setting is available. I chose this model as it is rugged and waterproof and compatable with the Autocom unit I am running.

I just have to decide which bike to bring, the R1200GSA or the R100GSPD.

Bulldust
Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #67
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
I just have to decide which bike to bring, the R1200GSA or the R100GSPD.

I have it on good authority that you should take the R100.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #68
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta
Yeah the 52XR has the same battery set up, but it does have a DC plug outlet. However Im having trouble finding one for it.

Hello there...

I don't know if this could help or you may have already try it, but I think "Olbis" may have the "bits" you are looking for....

Burt
diabolik37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #69
clarky
05' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 460
Does anyone have a GME tx 4600 http://www.gme.net.au/land/transceivers/tx4600.php I am thinking of going for one of these on the bike, wire it up to an intercom system, it can be switch wired to the bike and connect to a small aerial would give better range than a handheld.

Whaddah ya reckon
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #70
Bulldust
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky
Does anyone have a GME tx 4600 http://www.gme.net.au/land/transceivers/tx4600.php I am thinking of going for one of these on the bike, wire it up to an intercom system, it can be switch wired to the bike and connect to a small aerial would give better range than a handheld.

Whaddah ya reckon
It may give better range with the right antenna, however the output is still limited to 5 watts so it may not be any better than a 5 watt hand held with the same antenna.

Bulldust
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #71
DMME
Old Fart, Older Bike

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
It may give better range with the right antenna, however the output is still limited to 5 watts so it may not be any better than a 5 watt hand held with the same antenna.

Bulldust
BUT it will be powered by the bike and wont go flat
DMME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #72
R&R4adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Mounting of a UH078SX

Hi just finished mounting my UH078sx on the 640A ready to install a autocom unit to it. I has just used a old mirror base and threaded end welded the threaded end to a piece of flat bar and rivited the front part of a belt clip to it. Only time will tell if this works.
R&R4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #73
Stromid
Rod

Oddometer: 21
Tx4600

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky

Whaddah ya reckon
Yep I have one. Seems to work ok. I have changed the mounting position to hopefully give the radio more protection from the weather. It might be waterproof but it didn't stop water getting in it once. I had to send it back to the installer to get the water out. With having said that I think it is a good unit. However it still should have protection from direct rain. Here is a couple of picts. I've now got it mounted just above the odometer. I used to have it on the handle bars just behind the key. A disadvantage I have with my setup is, I'm worried that it will get knocked off (stolen).
Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #74
TwoTone
My 2 passions

Oddometer: 280
That's the set-up I was going to get but a bike com' supplier talked me out of it due to earth noise etc. (but Dale reckons he can fix that) I ended up getting a hand held 5w which is now tucked in the bikes body work and set up a servo to turn on/off and volume control via a two way switch, and a coax and a antena on the back of the bike, as I only use one chanel I don't need to touch it. Oh... with recharging it's a sinch dick smith jobie in cig outlet just turn it on overnite and she's charged the next day for another adventure, it only draws under 1 amp still plenty of poke in battery to kick the donkey two years 40k klms later still happy can't see any gear but the antena, so less to worry about.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #75
Bulldust
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMME
BUT it will be powered by the bike and wont go flat
True, however with a hand held if you bin the bike and have to walk out you can take your coms with you. The Uniden comes with a spare battery and a charger base that takes the radio and spare battery so recharging is not a problem.

Bulldust