User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Prf. Chaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Laugh New '09 530 EXC or '06 525 + Mods

Ok, I apologize if this has been played out for ever, but I could really use some insight!

So, I have a crotch rocket (F4i) that is just not me. I inherited it from someone who would appreciate me "turning it into" a street legal trail monster. I am pretty set on a 500cc adventure bike, because, well, I don't think i need to explain THAT part here... but I am at a bit of a dilemma.

There are 2 options:

Option 1:
There is a local motorcycle dealer who offered me a fair deal on trade for my F4i towards a new '09 530 EXC. I got clearance from my better half to go ahead with the deal, putting about $1500 down and financing the rest, which will force me to drink cheap beer for then next 3 years, (or resume home-brewing).

Option 2:
Some one close has an '06 525 SX, low miles, with motard wheel set. He will trade me straight up for my F4i. (including the wheels)

I have tried to do as much of my home work as possible: I (think?) I can get a kit to make the 525 SX street legal. (requirement 1) It doesn't have to cross a continent, just a Big Island, but the trails might be 50 miles (or so) on asphalt away. I know there is a difference in the gearing. I have heard rumors of being able to add 5th and 6th gears onto the SX.

There are also differences in the piston strokes, too, right? The EXC has a longer stroke. This would mean the SX has a larger piston diameter, and a shorter stroke. I bet this has a lot of implications. I have no idea what they are!

I like to wrench, and I am REALLY comfortable with electronics, so...

would I be better off spending $1.5k on modifications and legalization of the SX, or just go ahead and get the new '09 EXC?

Thanks in advance for input. I am really looking forward to hearing opinions.

Prf. Chaos screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 09:53 PM
Prf. Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 545
I think I would be biased to a EXC, for a couple of reasons. The gearbox is wider, allowing for better crawl speed and overdrive, which comes in useful for trail riding in nasty terrain & then hitting the road. Also, the suspension will be better off for trail riding - especially the nastier stuff.

That said, the SX would be my pick for a SM track bike (kind of polar opposites as far as suspension goes, and the gearing needs will be different).
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,007
I owned a 05 525 EXC. And now an 08 530. I just finished checking the valve clearances on the 530. They have not moved in 150 hrs. The intakes on the 520 were about half gone by then. No kidding.

Get the 530.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
I owned a 05 525 EXC. And now an 08 530. I just finished checking the valve clearances on the 530. They have not moved in 150 hrs. The intakes on the 520 were about half gone by then. No kidding.

Get the 530.
Just
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
The SX would be a blast for a VARY short while, but it's not what your looking for....even IF you change trans ratios.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 390
The SX, no matter how you gear it, what wheels you put on it, or how your ride it, is always going to be race bike first and a street bike second. Even converted and street legal and geared down, the motor is going to wear and expect to be treated like a racebike. Even for the mechanically inclined, it just gets to be a pain in the ass maintaining that kind of bike for street riding, although the riding itself is a lot of fun. The new 530 will be much better suited for the kind of riding you want although it is still derived from a more racy motor. Perhaps consider a new 690 to get great KTM rideability and some peace of mind that comes with a less strained but still powerful motor (and this is coming from a non-KTM owner.
I have a Yamaha 250 motard that I would never want to ride on the street, it is simply too much like a racebike.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Prf. Chaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Laugh Thanks for the AWESOME input

I am really grateful for all the input. I feel like I can thank you all for keeping me from making a bummer of a mistake.

I picked up my BRAND NEW 530 exc yesterday after noon. It is still hard to believe its actually MINE!

I will be re-reading ALL the great info around here, and will send some glamor shots from the beach.

Thanks again for your help. Now I have to go get dusty for lunch.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 8,848
It sounds like for what you want to do, the 530 E/XC would be a better choice. I've owned a 520SX and 2 525SX's. They're bad ass, but just not cut out for street riding. JMO.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.