User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #46
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question Looking for an Irish tour operator

My wife and I are considering a self-guided tour of Ireland this summer and have found 2 companies that look nice, both providing R1200GS'--

Celtic Rider; and
Irish Motorcycle Adventures

Is anyone familiar with these outfits and can you provide advice?

Many thanks.
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #47
Wamphyri*DFR*
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
My wife and I are considering a self-guided tour of Ireland this summer and have found 2 companies that look nice, both providing R1200GS'--

Celtic Rider; and
Irish Motorcycle Adventures

Is anyone familiar with these outfits and can you provide advice?

Many thanks.
My wife and I are doing the same thing the last week of April for my R&R from Afghanistan. We went with IMA because they arranged the lodging as well and one of their self guided tours covers the area where my wife's family is from. I'll post up pics and opinion of their service when we get done. Give you something to go on.
'06 DL1000
Wamphyri*DFR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #48
philgunn
BMW R80gs offroad + HP2

Oddometer: 232
touring ireland on Gs's

you guys might get more info from the UKGSER forum in the ireland section there will be more input from current owners and places to visit

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

philgunn

Eating Cheese , Drinking wine , catching some rays
philgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #49
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Once in a lifetime trip

I guess I will jump on the bandwagon. My wife and I are going to Ireland around the Firt of April. Any insider advice. We are renting a bike and starting out in Dublin. Any places that we just can't miss?

Anyone want to be a tourguide for a day :) ?? I have always liked to get the local's perspective on things we I travel. Even if not a tourguide anyone want to meet up for a couple of beers one night?

Thanks in advance for any help and hospitaltity.

Ryan
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #50
CbrPaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456
I guess I will jump on the bandwagon. My wife and I are going to Ireland around the Firt of April. Any insider advice. We are renting a bike and starting out in Dublin. Any places that we just can't miss?

Anyone want to be a tourguide for a day :) ?? I have always liked to get the local's perspective on things we I travel. Even if not a tourguide anyone want to meet up for a couple of beers one night?

Thanks in advance for any help and hospitaltity.

Ryan
Howdy! How long have you got, a week or two ? Two would be ideal, you'd be able to get most of the good stuff in while taking it easy. You probably want to take a day or so in Dublin, but after that I'd head south to Wicklow and through the mountains through the Sally Gap, catch the monastery at Glendalough and stuff.

Then I'd stick to the coast as much as possible, though it could be relatively boring til you get into Cork, so maybe you'd want to skip straight there if you're on a week. Once you're in Cork though things pick up, so I'd explore around there, Schull, Bantry, Skibbereen, Ballydehob, Baltimore etc, and then over to Kerry where you could do the Healy and Conor Passes, the famous Ring, Beara Peninsula, the Gap of Dunloe, etc.

Both Cork and Kerry are fantastic and you could spend ages going up and down exploring boreens there etc, or you could also continue on up to Clare and see the Burren etc, then head to Galway and out into Connemara and so on. You really can't go wrong with all the country from Cork and around the west coast up as far as Donegal, and there's even some great coastal roads along Northern Ireland if you have time to do a full lap.

I took a week out last year to do from Wickow down and around the coast and back to Galway. We took our time and skipped a lot but even that was fantastic.

You could throw up a thread on biker.ie and ask around. There's a thread there with some routes.. http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=82964

There was also a series in the Irish Times of good drives, here's two..
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...255504909.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...256600700.html

Hope some of this helps ! Try not to plan too much though, tis best to go with the flow
CbrPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #51
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks so much for your response. I just don't want to miss any of the big stuff. Any safety issues I should know about. Any problems with theft? Will any one be around 3/29-4/8? I would love to grab a beer with a fellow adv rider.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #52
somclan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
P.r.c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456
Thanks so much for your response. I just don't want to miss any of the big stuff. Any safety issues I should know about. Any problems with theft? Will any one be around 3/29-4/8? I would love to grab a beer with a fellow adv rider.
If you guys decide to head down to the peoples republic of Cork drop us a PM for a possable link up for coffee or a ride out or something
somclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #53
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Meet up in Cork

We will be in/near Cork on 3/31 and 4/1. I am not sure the best way to get a hold of me. My U.S. number is 770-546-6955. but email will probably be better. Rhhogue@gmail.com. I will only have my iphone and don't want to pay on the roaming charges so it will be off unless I find a wifi hot spot.

Since you know the area send me an email with a place to meet up and a time. I will confirm the day before we meet. I don't want you to go and I not show because I never got the email for some reason.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #54
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Well folks we are in Ireland. We are in bantry tonight. Probably in kenmare tommorrow and on to some where near kilarney. The weekend is coming so if anyone wants to meet up for drinks let us know. Rhhogue@gmail.com. We will need to plan a day n advance because I only check the email the night before. Any one want to ride healy pass tomorrow or conner pass on Saturday.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #55
The Blue Kazoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Dia Dhuit ADV riders.

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/gormedic/4524197771/sizes/l/
[/IMG]
Hey everyone, just signing in to say hello and post a pic of my bike, picked her up yesterday and loving it.
The Blue Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #56
sammy-g
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Kazoo
[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/gormedic/4524197771/sizes/l/
[/IMG]
Hey everyone, just signing in to say hello and post a pic of my bike, picked her up yesterday and loving it.
Hello and welcome Blue Kazoo.
George

http://photobucket.com/Around-Ireland-2010-part2
sammy-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #57
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 420
May temps

Hello Boys,

I'll be doing a lap of the island May 1-3rd. I am worried about average temps. I would rather not wear the Belstaff Discovery as it can get hot, but being cold is worse. I have a 3 season Cortech that is good down to about 15 degrees Celsius.

Is that enough or should I just go heavy and bear it?

Thanks

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #58
philgunn
BMW R80gs offroad + HP2

Oddometer: 232
Irish Weather

as the boy scouts . Be Prepared. we are just after some nice weather here for the last 7 days and it generally does not last , so prepare for the cold and wet
maybe 8/10 c

pg

Eating Cheese , Drinking wine , catching some rays
philgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #59
tim walsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
still gettin ready for dingle trip...

cant feckin wait !! :)

The plan is 320 miles , Belfast to Dingle , taking in any twisty tarmac on the way , campin in dingle , then on down south next day , healy pass etc , back up inland , any tips for where is best to see on the way back up from Kinsale ?

Should be happening in the next few weeks , any locals up for a wee blast ?

Cheers , Tim

tim walsh screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 03:23 PM
tim walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #60
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Question

Hi to all the ADVr's in Ireland! I was wondering, do any of you folks in or around Cork know a guy named Noel who rides an XT or TW or something similar and keeps a sailboat in Dingle? He also drives a little red sports car (Mazda I think) really fast... I know it's a long shot but just thought I'd ask.

Sláinte!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote