Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #15031
Wiskee-Throtl
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looking for a slip on exhaust suggestion..FMF seems the most common..Im sure there are a million threads on this..just looking to get a little extra punch out of the bike..
Wiskee-Throtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #15032
EMS541A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
EMS - the Athena is way more 'spensive than the Cylinder Works big bore kit. From what I've read, it's not a wise use of your money to buy it over a less expensive kit.

However... It *is* your money, so spend it as you wish.

The FCR carb is a nice thing for immediate response to the twist. Open the airbox & exhaust and you may be pleased w/o changing the cams or displacement. If a tire-burning, wheel-standing sport bike is what you want, you should'a bought one instead of a DRZ.

Jon
Yeah, I'm not looking for a sport bike out of the DRZ. I've got a 04 SV650 that is fast enough if I'm so inclined... I haven't touched or even looked twice at her since buying the DRZ. I might sell the SV650 for a KTM 525 EXC... I though the SV650 would be necessary so I can have a highway bike. But I do so little highway riding anyways... and it'd be nice to have a balls-out sumo for the weekends, and ride the DRZ/do maintenance on the weekdays, heh.

But what I'm REALLY looking for is more top end grunt. Not looking to increase my top speed, etc, I'm really happy with the bike until the revs are high (hell, even high-ish) and she's just going nowhere. Results in a lot of shifting because I don't feel like the top end has enough power to get me anywhere or enough to power out of corners. At least it keeps me far away from the rev limiter, heh.

The 3x3, exhaust and FCR might be all I need; I still toy with the idea of a BBK but I feel like it's not worth spending the $$$. Would the E cams be a significant improvement in the top end, or?
EMS541A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #15033
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS541A View Post
Yeah, I'm not looking for a sport bike out of the DRZ. I've got a 04 SV650 that is fast enough if I'm so inclined... I haven't touched or even looked twice at her since buying the DRZ. I might sell the SV650 for a KTM 525 EXC... I though the SV650 would be necessary so I can have a highway bike. But I do so little highway riding anyways... and it'd be nice to have a balls-out sumo for the weekends, and ride the DRZ/do maintenance on the weekdays, heh.

But what I'm REALLY looking for is more top end grunt. Not looking to increase my top speed, etc, I'm really happy with the bike until the revs are high (hell, even high-ish) and she's just going nowhere. Results in a lot of shifting because I don't feel like the top end has enough power to get me anywhere or enough to power out of corners. At least it keeps me far away from the rev limiter, heh.

The 3x3, exhaust and FCR might be all I need; I still toy with the idea of a BBK but I feel like it's not worth spending the $$$. Would the E cams be a significant improvement in the top end, or?
Hotcams are better than the E cams.....Dont waste your time with E cams unless u get em in mint condition for like 50 bux...Personally I wouldnt waste my time with E cams. I posted a Dyno sheet a few pages back that you can reference for a comparo. Its a big bore, cams, FCR, piped engine like you are considering.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #15034
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
And anyone have any news on the status of knobbies for 17s? It looks like everyone ends up running rears on the front, or has someone finally made suitable knobbies?
Quote:
What is it that you really want to do with the bike? These two statements seem a little at odds with each other.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #15035
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
So is it ok to cross post junk for sale? If so, I happen to have a rekluse and a set of dirt wheels in the classifieds section.

If not, just ignore that last line
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #15036
EMS541A
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
What is it that you really want to do with the bike? These two statements seem a little at odds with each other.
Close to everything! I am in love with this bike so far, because it has all the top speed I need for the area I live in (and for the points already on my license...) and the suspension just soaks up all the crappy roads. I just don't like how gutless it feels higher up in the revs. I'm not expecting the DRZ to fly or pull third gear power wheelies or anything ridiculous, I just want my daily rider to have a little more gut up top.

I'm asking about knobbies because I'd like to be able to swap out the street tires for something more offroad oriented for the weekends (well, my version of a weekend anyways) without shelling out the money for dirt wheels... I'd like to be able to go 80/20 street/dirt, and while I've been running something close to that, having some actual knobs would make me feel a lot more secure on the wimpy trails I've been running down. I'd have considered just getting an S model, but I know I wouldn't be happy with the handling of bigger, narrower tires.

BTW: Thanks for the suggestions on the Conti TKC80s, gotta look into finding them!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #15037
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Close to everything! I am in love with this bike so far, because it has all the top speed I need for the area I live in (and for the points already on my license...) and the suspension just soaks up all the crappy roads. I just don't like how gutless it feels higher up in the revs. I'm not expecting the DRZ to fly or pull third gear power wheelies or anything ridiculous, I just want my daily rider to have a little more gut up top.

I'm asking about knobbies because I'd like to be able to swap out the street tires for something more offroad oriented for the weekends (well, my version of a weekend anyways) without shelling out the money for dirt wheels... I'd like to be able to go 80/20 street/dirt, and while I've been running something close to that, having some actual knobs would make me feel a lot more secure on the wimpy trails I've been running down. I'd have considered just getting an S model, but I know I wouldn't be happy with the handling of bigger, narrower tires.

BTW: Thanks for the suggestions on the Conti TKC80s, gotta look into finding them!
3rd gear power wheelies are easily attainable with a 434,FCR,Cams, and pipe.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #15038
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:

If you also have an SV, I don't get it??
I got a DRz to use for street legal dirt, and a wee strom for sporty paved adventure travel faster rides. No way would I compromise the DRz's off road prowess for more "high end grunt".

You can always put TKCs on your SV, and have a really fast dirt bike. LOL!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #15039
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskee-Throtl View Post
Looking for a slip on exhaust suggestion..FMF seems the most common..Im sure there are a million threads on this..just looking to get a little extra punch out of the bike..
You won't get any performance from a slip-on. The head pipe is the limiting factor. If ya can stand the noise, mrd is the drz pipe.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #15040
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
My 'E' has a Yosh pipe, open (3x3) airbox and bigger main jet. It has a metric buttload of low-end torque. I can idle along on single-track and straighten up with a quick twist. It's amazing. A big pipe and matching jetting really turns the 'E' version loose.

A twist of the throttle lofts the front end easily. The exhaust and jetting restrict the performance badly. Fix those, and unleash the beast.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #15041
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
You won't get any performance from a slip-on. The head pipe is the limiting factor. If ya can stand the noise, mrd is the drz pipe.
Agreed....on everything except that the MRD is loud. I find that the MRD with the spark arrester screen sounds great and very similar to my Pro Circuit T-4 with a spark arrester was on my TRX atv.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #15042
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

I am anxiously awaiting a DRZ owner to try the 140 rear Kenda Big Block and stock size front tires.

These Trakmasters are great and all but I want a more solid tire on the pavement.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #15043
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
These Trakmasters are great and all but I want a more solid tire on the pavement.
try a pirelli XCMH. not quite as good as the TMII in the dirt, but much better on the pavement. about the same on pavement as a 606, but much better than a 606 in dirt.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #15044
EMS541A
Adventurer

Trying to compare the SV and the DRZ is next to impossible. The DRZ is more fun in the corners, the only thing the SV does better is straight line highway riding. But in the corners and twisties, the SV is BORING in comparison. The SV is going less sport and more touring.. throwing the bags on full time, taking the -1 sprocket off in favor of one or two down in the back (gas mileage at highway speed...) so the DRZ is going to be my bike for light off-roading, canyon carving, errands, going to work, everything that doesn't involve the highway (which is over an hour from me anyways). With the 17s, I don't expect the DRZ to ever be amazing off-road, I don't mind going slow and steady and taking my time off-road anyways.

Bobbed06, do you have the ProComp or SSW? I heard the SSW is obnoxiously loud... With Maine's pipe laws, I can get away with a lot, but I'd hate to get a ticket because I'm being carless with the throttle.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #15045
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
Squeaky wheel

This little bugger is squeaking like hell, through trial and error I eliminated the squeaking to this speedo hub...

I tried greasing every part of it, it still squeaks when it on the wheel...

im pretty sure the screw drive is shot, greasing it did nothing

So 2 questions, has anyone had theres go out?
where can I get a replacement that dosent cost me $90?
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote