Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #15046
The Recycled Teenager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post

This little bugger is squeaking like hell, through trial and error I eliminated the squeaking to this speedo hub...

I tried greasing every part of it, it still squeaks when it on the wheel...

im pretty sure the screw drive is shot, greasing it did nothing

So 2 questions, has anyone had theres go out?
where can I get a replacement that dosent cost me $90?
Here at 72.60
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...eedometer-gear

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #15047
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I need headlight wiring help on a 2k DRZ 400s

Ok...So I'm in the process of un-fudging some wiring done to the headlight. The previous-previous owner put ATV bars on, hence neggating the left control switch and installing a toggle for the headlight. I'm in the process of installing a baja designs left control and trying to figure out how to properly rewire the headlight. Here's what I'm dealing with...

Does anyone have a picture of their headlight properly wired. The way mine was wired, it had the B/W wire cut and ran through the toggle, the yellow into an orange wire, and the white dangling.

BTW.....I suck at reading schematics...
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #15048
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 274
2 questions

im currently fitting bar risers. the ignition switch unit cannot be incorporated into the bolt assembly of the bar risers. is there an after market bolt on assembly used to secure the ingnition stem in this instance? or what have other people done to secure the ignition stem? i could get a new bit of plate made up to fit the bolt hole positions of the bar riser clamp but im hoping there is another solution.

also, does anyone know where i can get a clear or lightly tinted "bikini" style bolt on windshield? im going to be fitting twin round headlights (like what baja designs and buell offer) and want to fit a new windshield when i do.

thanks.
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #15049
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
im currently fitting bar risers. the ignition switch unit cannot be incorporated into the bolt assembly of the bar risers. is there an after market bolt on assembly used to secure the ingnition stem in this instance? or what have other people done to secure the ignition stem? i could get a new bit of plate made up to fit the bolt hole positions of the bar riser clamp but im hoping there is another solution.

also, does anyone know where i can get a clear or lightly tinted "bikini" style bolt on windshield? im going to be fitting twin round headlights (like what baja designs and buell offer) and want to fit a new windshield when i do.

thanks.
I zip tied mine to the inner handguard mount. Used a bit of foam to keep it from rattling away.
NVTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #15050
clint_l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
SM knobbies

for the people asking about putting knobbies on the SM 17's, I figured I would share some pictures. These are Shinko Trail Tire SR244's 4.60x17 front, 5.10 x17 rear. They are not front/rear specific tires.

clint_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #15051
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_l View Post
for the people asking about putting knobbies on the SM 17's, I figured I would share some pictures. These are Shinko Trail Tire SR244's 4.60x17 front, 5.10 x17 rear. They are not front/rear specific tires. ]
I did this on a friends DRZsm for a one weekend trip, work very well, even on the sand down here in Floriduh. He never did another dual sport weekend so I got the tires back. I have the rear on my KLR but will never use the front. If anyone close by wants the front "Golden Boy" they can have it, or someone distant can have it for the cost of shipping. IIRC, the set was really cheap anyway.

PMR
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #15052
The Recycled Teenager
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
for the people asking about putting knobbies on the SM 17's, I figured I would share some pictures. These are Shinko Trail Tire SR244's 4.60x17 front, 5.10 x17 rear. They are not front/rear specific tires.

Looks interesting

Nice Grunty look about it but how does it handle

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #15053
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
Ok...So I'm in the process of un-fudging some wiring done to the headlight. The previous-previous owner put ATV bars on, hence neggating the left control switch and installing a toggle for the headlight. I'm in the process of installing a baja designs left control and trying to figure out how to properly rewire the headlight. Here's what I'm dealing with...

Does anyone have a picture of their headlight properly wired. The way mine was wired, it had the B/W wire cut and ran through the toggle, the yellow into an orange wire, and the white dangling.

BTW.....I suck at reading schematics...
I had a some issues when setting up my "E" for street duty. The guys on tt.com came to the rescue.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #15054
clint_l
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
Looks interesting

Nice Grunty look about it but how does it handle
I just installed them yesterday and have only put 50ish on/off road miles on...but: it does make the bike handle completely different. On the road is where I noticed the most change possibly due to the width of the front tire or the squarish profile. The corner turn-in is a little odd...but once riding I got used to it quickly. It seemed to grip the road enough on the pavement. Off road it was way better than the pilot power's I had mounted, but that was assumed. I'm not sure if I'll keep the knobbies on full time, or swap back and forth. They are very cheap so I don't mind if they burn off quickly, I just wanted them mounted for an enduro rally coming up. I do really like the looks of it though...its my urban assault vehicle
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #15055
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,284
Those tires look awesome. Kind of looks a little like a TW200, but with a lot more power.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #15056
The Recycled Teenager
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I just installed them yesterday and have only put 50ish on/off road miles on...but: it does make the bike handle completely different. On the road is where I noticed the most change possibly due to the width of the front tire or the squarish profile. The corner turn-in is a little odd...but once riding I got used to it quickly. It seemed to grip the road enough on the pavement. Off road it was way better than the pilot power's I had mounted, but that was assumed. I'm not sure if I'll keep the knobbies on full time, or swap back and forth. They are very cheap so I don't mind if they burn off quickly, I just wanted them mounted for an enduro rally coming up. I do really like the looks of it though...its my urban assault vehicle
Aggressive
Should scare the weaklings in any group ride

Might be tricky in sand though, let us know on that (depends on your technique too, sit way back in the saddle and use the front like a ski) I use third at mid rpm.

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #15057
clint_l
Adventurer

Quote:
Aggressive
Should scare the weaklings in any group ride

Might be tricky in sand though, let us know on that (depends on your technique too, sit way back in the saddle and use the front like a ski) I use third at mid rpm.
That reminds me...I'm going to have to pick up another sprocket. I went down 3 in the rear to 15/38....which worked great on the highway with the street tires. These tires are taller and required a lot of clutch work for trail riding....maybe I'll try going down one in the front.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #15058
The Recycled Teenager
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That reminds me...I'm going to have to pick up another sprocket. I went down 3 in the rear to 15/38....which worked great on the highway with the street tires. These tires are taller and required a lot of clutch work for trail riding....maybe I'll try going down one in the front.
This is why you need a second set of wheels !
Really you need one down in the front and up 3 (over stock) in the rear.
Not sure how that figures with smaller wheels BUT if you get to enjoy the dirt a lot you may just want TWO bikes

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #15059
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Took the DRZ for a spin through the Bradshaw mountains in AZ today. Full report here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post19137554

Teaser of why rain and Arizona don't mix:

Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #15060
clint_l
Adventurer

Quote:
This is why you need a second set of wheels !
Really you need one down in the front and up 3 (over stock) in the rear.
Not sure how that figures with smaller wheels BUT if you get to enjoy the dirt a lot you may just want TWO bikes
I considered getting a second set a wheels, but I am mainly a street rider and could not justify the expense. I think I have less than $100 into the Shinkos and its free for me to swap back and forth if needed. I also didn't want to have to lengthen and shorten a chain constantly having a street and dirt gear setups. ....and I already have 3 bikes, so my motorcycle needs are subdued at this time, but there is some vacant garage space