ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #15091
SkinnyFatMan
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Owens Valley,Ca
Oddometer: 7
Cylinder head woes..

Hello Inmates, Relatively new here and few postings since getting my KLX400..more riding than interneting. Short story here..went for a great ride the other weekend through Bodie onto Hawthorne via dirt and was intending on returning the same until...my baby failed me near Luning.After some roadside diagnosisit became clear the bike was not getting home on its own power..it was dead.So..I waited in Minah(with very nice people at the Minah Club,Thank You!) until my friends returned with a truck to get me back home.Upon inspection I found the exhaust cam journal had failed(will post pics when I have better ones),but that seems to be the "only damage" so far.By the looks of it the head and journal are a matched machined piece and are not available seperate so..Pulling the motor out and down tomorrow...the problem so far is unless I go with a completely new head and everything the bike will sit till more $$$ is saved.Does anybody know where to look for a good used head or at least a better core to start with? Ebay only had 1 and I missed it...ugh. This is my daily driver/commuter/adventurer/only option and am stuck...any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
SkinnyFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #15092
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer
 
The Recycled Teenager's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by weld86 View Post



That's a good idea. That will be done. Thanks.
Did it to mine so I know it pays dividend, just wanted to share the small idea with the group
__________________
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when your in deep water

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #15093
Zachsv
SVhaver
 
Zachsv's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Wilmington, NC
Oddometer: 156
Bike not running for crap

Not sure what happened, but over the past week the bike WILL NOT RUN. Ran great this past weekend, no issues at all. Now all of a sudden it won't stay running.

Pulled Carb, totally clean, cleaned it anyway fully. pine sol bath for a couple hours, full rinse, 100psi compressed air blow clean. Everything spotless.

1.5 turn a/f screw

If I try to give it gas it dies. If I can get the revs up (takes a long time of slightly giving fuel), I can then knock it down to no choke, but I'm WOT and barely idling.

Bypassed the petcock and favor of a 2 ft fuel line held up a the handlebars with fresh fuel and a pinched vacuum line. It sucks that fuel down like a fat kid and chocolate milk.


I'm supposed to be starting my TAT trip tomorrow...Thank god I have till thursday to travel 500 miles of highway lol. Still had lots of stops with state wide friends that might have to be cut now.

Any ideas?!?! PLEASE!
__________________
'06 Suzuki SV650 | '78 BMW R100/7
Http://gearedlowphoto.com/TAT
Zachsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #15094
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,440
The DRZ is all "Adventurized" for our New Mexico trip. Over the weekend I did the following:
Installed Clarke 3.9 gal. tank
Installed SeatConcepts seat
Repaired leaking water pump
Changed coolant
Change Motor Oil and oil filter
Cleaned Air Filter
Replaced Sparkplug.




JackPiner's luggage rack has a steel plate with nuts welded to it, which are designed to accept the rotopax mount.
The mount fits perfectly and I like how the rack is the same dimensions as the 1.75 gal. rotopax.
The rack affords extra protection to the Rotopax.
I must say the Rotopax is very high quality - super strong too.
My wife's DRZ will carry our spare fuel and a dry sack containing sleeping mats, sleeping bags and small pillows, and a camping stool.



__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #15095
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ogre_fl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Cook Bayou, FL
Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by weld86 View Post
Thanks. I'm working on it. It would mean removing the charcoal cannister.
Must be a CA only thing, no canister on my bike or any other DRZ I have seen.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #15096
Mike_drz
Banned
 
Mike_drz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: somewhere near the beach
Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyFatMan View Post
Hello Inmates, Relatively new here and few postings since getting my KLX400..more riding than interneting. Short story here..went for a great ride the other weekend through Bodie onto Hawthorne via dirt and was intending on returning the same until...my baby failed me near Luning.After some roadside diagnosisit became clear the bike was not getting home on its own power..it was dead.So..I waited in Minah(with very nice people at the Minah Club,Thank You!) until my friends returned with a truck to get me back home.Upon inspection I found the exhaust cam journal had failed(will post pics when I have better ones),but that seems to be the "only damage" so far.By the looks of it the head and journal are a matched machined piece and are not available seperate so..Pulling the motor out and down tomorrow...the problem so far is unless I go with a completely new head and everything the bike will sit till more $$$ is saved.Does anybody know where to look for a good used head or at least a better core to start with? Ebay only had 1 and I missed it...ugh. This is my daily driver/commuter/adventurer/only option and am stuck...any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

you need to describe how it die on you more before we can find out what's the problem batteries went under 12v, it's quiet as death.
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #15097
Ed~
What, Me Worry?
 
Ed~'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post
Not sure what happened, but over the past week the bike WILL NOT RUN. Ran great this past weekend, no issues at all. Now all of a sudden it won't stay running.

Pulled Carb, totally clean, cleaned it anyway fully. pine sol bath for a couple hours, full rinse, 100psi compressed air blow clean. Everything spotless.

1.5 turn a/f screw

If I try to give it gas it dies. If I can get the revs up (takes a long time of slightly giving fuel), I can then knock it down to no choke, but I'm WOT and barely idling.

Bypassed the petcock and favor of a 2 ft fuel line held up a the handlebars with fresh fuel and a pinched vacuum line. It sucks that fuel down like a fat kid and chocolate milk.


I'm supposed to be starting my TAT trip tomorrow...Thank god I have till thursday to travel 500 miles of highway lol. Still had lots of stops with state wide friends that might have to be cut now.

Any ideas?!?! PLEASE!
If it won't idle and dies when you throttle up, it sounds like there is a small jet that is clogged in the carb Do not use compressed air to "blow clean" each jet. Use carb cleaner in a straw and make sure each jet is passing cleaner through to another hole in the carb.

If you see an orifice and shoot carb cleaner in there but don't see it coming out somewhere else... there is a problem. There are no holes that do not connect to somewhere else in the carb.

In particular, there are two small holes looking at the large airbox side of the carb located at the bottom of the ring that both need to be clear for proper idling/running. The left side hole is usually OK and you should see carb cleaner coming out the front (cylincer side) bottom (where there are a few pinholes) when you spray.

The right side hole is commonly a problem in gunked carbs that prevents proper running if not clear. That hole is actually connected to the biggest main fuel jet. Because if its very small size and relative position to fuel that may evaporate at that hole and leave gunk buildup, you may have to use a small copper 22ga wire to poke it a few times then see if carb cleaner passes through and drips out the main jet.

Good luck!
__________________
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 10:24 AM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #15098
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: That one place......
Oddometer: 1,215
Finally, the WIDE ratio gear sets have made it into production!!

I am NOT affiliated with this in any way, I just wanted to get the word out!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972...-no-six-speed/
__________________
\/ Batch of Low Mileage (2000 mi)DRZ Parts Cheap\/

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #15099
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
kpt4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Finally, the WIDE ratio gear sets have made it into production!!

I am NOT affiliated with this in any way, I just wanted to get the word out!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972...-no-six-speed/
This is really, really cool. $600 isn't cheap, but it's not that bad either. With some suspension upgrades and these parts, the DRZ could be a really competent machine.
__________________
TAT 2008 / Colorado 2010
"Both the man of science and the man of action live always at the edge of mystery, surrounded by it." -Oppenheimer
2007 Monster S2R / 2006 TE610 / 1999 KDX 200 / 2000 DRZ-E
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #15100
Zachsv
SVhaver
 
Zachsv's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Wilmington, NC
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post
If it won't idle and dies when you throttle up, it sounds like there is a small jet that is clogged in the carb Do not use compressed air to "blow clean" each jet. Use carb cleaner in a straw and make sure each jet is passing cleaner through to another hole in the carb.

If you see an orifice and shoot carb cleaner in there but don't see it coming out somewhere else... there is a problem. There are no holes that do not connect to somewhere else in the carb.
Gotcha...I'll go back at it in a minute. Leaving work at 12 and will be pulling everything apart again. Gotta love smelling like gasoline constantly lol
__________________
'06 Suzuki SV650 | '78 BMW R100/7
Http://gearedlowphoto.com/TAT
Zachsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #15101
SkinnyFatMan
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Owens Valley,Ca
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
you need to describe how it die on you more before we can find out what's the problem batteries went under 12v, it's quiet as death.

Not sure if you read the post but...a failed EXH cam journal is the start of it...not sure where you're going with the 12v idea... and there is only one battery on my bike. Thanks anyways.
SkinnyFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #15102
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,587
It is good to know that . . .

absolute power still corrupts, absolutely.

Let's ride bikes.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #15103
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: That one place......
Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
This is really, really cool. $600 isn't cheap, but it's not that bad either. With some suspension upgrades and these parts, the DRZ could be a really competent machine.
Truthfully, I feel that $600 bux is a steal! Just think about it. A big bore kit costs like $450 and only has a few parts.

Regardless it is GREAT that this is now readily available for the trusty DRZ.
__________________
\/ Batch of Low Mileage (2000 mi)DRZ Parts Cheap\/

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #15104
mrprez
KJ4WMZ
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, Al
Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Truthfully, I feel that $600 bux is a steal! Just think about it. A big bore kit costs like $450 and only has a few parts.

Regardless it is GREAT that this is now readily available for the trusty DRZ.
Get them both and you'd have a screaming meme on your hands. I wonder how hard it would be to do both or what it would cost to have a pro to install both.

The videos showing the before and after were quite impressive.
__________________
Sent via morse code
..-. -.-- ..-. ..-.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #15105
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: That one place......
Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Get them both and you'd have a screaming meme on your hands. I wonder how hard it would be to do both or what it would cost to have a pro to install both.

The videos showing the before and after were quite impressive.
I already have a built 434cc engine. I am sure it would be great with a WR trans. I am sure Eddie Sisneros (Epic Motorsports) would build you a transmission quick and cost effective.

If you really wanted a fire breather you could have him install a stroker crank and make it a 60HP 470cc with a WR transmission!
__________________
\/ Batch of Low Mileage (2000 mi)DRZ Parts Cheap\/

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014