User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #1501
kingklr
kingklr

Oddometer: 6
Pictures of my latest and last trip

I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my DRZ400s last trip. I rode the bike to death by riding 1800 miles in 48 hours. Engine gave out, and although I have not made the autopsy yet, I know the engine is beyong recovery by the amount of metal shaving I found clogging my oil filter. Trip was a blast, from Wisconsin to Great smokie mountains national park in north carolina. This was my test ride to prepare for my Alaska trip next year, but no more trip on a DRZ. I am thinking now a KLR or a Versys instead. Eventually I will buy another DRZ, but was very dissapointed at its early death at 10K milles.
Attached Images

kingklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #1502
Le Barge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G
That's a wet cell battery, not an AGM, isn't it? My old DR came to me with a similar battery when I bought it used. I realized this during an offroad ride when I stopped and wondered what all the water was on my swingarm. Turned out it was electrolyte that worked its way out of the vent tube -- it didn't really hurt anything but it did permanently stain the swingarm.

Just something to watch out for.

Mike
like I said I wanted to ride right now when I first got my bike and I was very sad to realize my battery was dead ...

that...and the fact I immediately broke the key off in the fork lock made me want to either ride it or shoot it ..Staring at a new bike and not being able to ride it gets old real quick ..
Good point about the vent tube ...Maybe I'll lengthen it or add something to catch it rather than waste my swingarm or wheel .. very good point ..
Le Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #1503
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog
I'm generally pleased with the tank. The only issue I have is the knowledge that there is quite a bit of tank that sits below the petcock. I'm thinking the Clarke 3.9 gal. tank would actually give more range than the 4 gal. IMS tank.
To pick up on a discussion from a while back, I did a test to see the actual capacity of the 4 gallon IMS tank.

First, the bike was almost out of gas. I then layed the bike on its left side to move the remaining fuel to the left side of the tank where the petcock sits. (as I would do if I ran out of fuel on a ride). After returning the bike to an upright position, I drained almost all of the remaining fuel, leaving the fuel level about a finger's width above the petcock. Then, I rode to the gas station to see just how much fuel the tank would take when it still had enough to operate.

To my delight, the IMS 4 gallon tank took 4.522 gallons. If I had really wanted to push the limit, I could have fit about a pint more bringing the total to ~4.65 gallons. Bear in mind that I exceeded the manufacturer's maximum fill level by conducting this experiment, but sometimes you've got to break the rules in the name of science.

selaznog screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 05:15 PM
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #1504
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklr
I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my DRZ400s last trip. I rode the bike to death by riding 1800 miles in 48 hours. Engine gave out, and although I have not made the autopsy yet, I know the engine is beyong recovery by the amount of metal shaving I found clogging my oil filter. Trip was a blast, from Wisconsin to Great smokie mountains national park in north carolina. This was my test ride to prepare for my Alaska trip next year, but no more trip on a DRZ. I am thinking now a KLR or a Versys instead. Eventually I will buy another DRZ, but was very dissapointed at its early death at 10K milles.
There are a few maintenance items that need to be performed before a long trip or any trip for that matter. Just curious of the year of your bike. If older then 03 - did you change out the ACCT for the MCCT? Also after 04 I believe - the primary nut's torque value was upped after a few of these came loose and grenaded some engines. I went in and loctited mine while retorqing to the higher value. Also, the counter shaft nut coming loose is not a fable.....loss of oil if you ride far and this is loose. Also needs loctiting.

Make sure you let us know. 10k is not very many miles. Mine's at 12k and still running strong....I believe.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #1505
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
I've got fuel coming out of the overflow tube/pipe thing at a standstill - a friend says the float may be sticking in the carb. This sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, should point out that this is only happening with the bike on side-stand (so for now I have it propped up).
That could be your problem also the S and SM versions don't have an off position on the petcock and sometimes they fail and will keep letting gas flow down. Petcock can be an easy check just pull the fuel line and see if it keeps flowing. If it's an E version turn the fuel off and it should stop. S/SM shouldn't flow at all with the engine off.

If that's not the cause then it probably a stuck float which is a pretty easy fix. Sometimes if you are lucky you can dislodge the dirt by hitting the carb with a piece of wood a few times.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #1506
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I just went to down to the local parts store and bought a cheap solenoid for the starter for 10.99 and it goes to a 93 mustang. I wired it up and seems to work just fine. Is this going to cause damage of any sort?
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #1507
Mike_G
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper
That could be your problem also the S and SM versions don't have an off position on the petcock and sometimes they fail and will keep letting gas flow down. Petcock can be an easy check just pull the fuel line and see if it keeps flowing. If it's an E version turn the fuel off and it should stop. S/SM shouldn't flow at all with the engine off.

If that's not the cause then it probably a stuck float which is a pretty easy fix. Sometimes if you are lucky you can dislodge the dirt by hitting the carb with a piece of wood a few times.
Like Chilipepper said, it's probably a stuck float or else there's a piece of gunk that's keeping the float needle from sealing & it's very possible that you can tap on the carb with a screwdriver handle and get it to stop leaking. If not, you may have to take the carb bowl off and clean up whatever is causing the float valve to not close completely.

The petcock isn't causing your problem here -- focus on the float valve as it shouldn't be letting more gas through once it's reached the proper height in the carb bowl.

Mike
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #1508
Le Barge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
That's a wet cell battery, not an AGM, isn't it? My old DR came to me with a similar battery when I bought it used. I realized this during an offroad ride when I stopped and wondered what all the water was on my swingarm. Turned out it was electrolyte that worked its way out of the vent tube -- it didn't really hurt anything but it did permanently stain the swingarm.

Just something to watch out for.

Mike
You made a good point so i added about 2 feet onto the vent hose and ran it under the battery up the other side over top and back down agin next to the original tube ...Now it either has to fill about 20 inches of 1/4 inch tube to spill onto the swingarm frame etc .. about 3/4 the water in the battery will have to decide it wants out all at once .. not likely
Le Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #1509
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklr
Sorry to hear of this. I've been wondering what the max mileage for these bikes is. I've read of others going much further than yours. ThumperDRZ made some good points on maintenance issues. I have found my CS nut coming loose a couple times so I check it regularly. I didn't have loctite so I used hitemp RTV for glue the last time. It's still holding. I also trimmed away the bottom 1/3 of the CS cover just so I could quick-check it easier.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #1510
idamanzz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for some rubber peg inserts

Hey DRZ'ers
Do any of you bros have a set of the DRZ rubber peg inserts lying around? Im looking for a set to test a project idea for my XR650R (gasp)
Thanks - Aaron
idamanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1511
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
I'm looking for a stock seat for mine if anyone has one to sell.
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #1512
CATCH-22
Sublime ADVenturer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo
I'm looking for a stock seat for mine if anyone has one to sell.

where do you live?
CATCH-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #1513
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Side racks for the DRZ400S/SM

I need a set of side racks for the saddlebags on my DRZ SM. There was a guy on EBay that sells them but I can't find 'em now. Anyone know where I can find a set?

Thanks

Garrett
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #1514
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Quote:
The petcock isn't causing your problem here -- focus on the float valve as it shouldn't be letting more gas through once it's reached the proper height in the carb bowl.

Mike
for Mike and Chillipepper.

Tapping with a plastic screwdriver handle seems to have done the trick. Which I'm pleased with as the problem had my local garage doing the usual sucking of teeth - "it's a big job that" - which usually means they are about to relieve me of 20 notes..

(yes, they see me coming a mile off..)
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #1515
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 821
Thumb

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Someday though you'll want to take stuff apart and make sure everything is clean.