Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #1561
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by byewayman
Hi mj, i got the idea from a pro supamoto rider (stephan chambom) . they modify the air box.
A guy who worked for suzi gb told me that when a drz was on the dyno they could get more power out of it by lifting the seat up (lets in more air) apparently its a mod they do.
so rather than do the 3x3 mod b/c the seat is there you modify the side panel and the air box with a 1" drill bit? Makes sense. Did you do both sides?
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #1562
byewayman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
so rather than do the 3x3 mod b/c the seat is there you modify the side panel and the air box with a 1" drill bit? Makes sense. Did you do both sides?
A drill bit or hole cutter will do the job, ive not done both sides but see no reason why it wont work.
I also add octane booster makes a hell of a difference, this is only possible with the e version. (i think)

byewayman screwed with this post 10-03-2008 at 04:58 AM
byewayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #1563
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A drill bit or hole cutter will do the job, ive not done both sides but see no reason why it wont work.
I also add octane booster makes a hell of a difference, this is only possible with the e version. (i think)
I think I will do it like this. When you say you add octane booster you add a whole can to one tank and it increases your performance.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #1564
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by southforkspeedster
I ordered 14/45 sprockets, hoping to get some hiway drivability............does that sound ok..................mind you, my Katoom was HIGH geared, and I liked it , so I am hoping the 14/45 spocket choice will be a good place between the S and the E...........whatcya think
I'm running 15/47 which is about the same as 14/45. Mine came with a 14 on the front when I got it. It runs out pretty good on the hiway, easy to do 60-70. Over 70 she's wound up most of the way. Still works good on trails, not too much clutching; I just stay in first more. I've put 4k on the clock this year just commuting to Bend and back. Worn out a few nobbies along the way. How do you like the RM forks over stock? BTW, Bend still has a KTM dealer.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #1565
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
I'm running 15/47 which is about the same as 14/45. Mine came with a 14 on the front when I got it. It runs out pretty good on the hiway, easy to do 60-70. Over 70 she's wound up most of the way. Still works good on trails, not too much clutching; I just stay in first more. I've put 4k on the clock this year just commuting to Bend and back. Worn out a few nobbies along the way. How do you like the RM forks over stock? BTW, Bend still has a KTM dealer.
I went ahead and went with 15/44...stock S gearing. This way I can go to a 14 counter if I need to drop it at all.

Took the whole front end apart today, replaced the headset bearings and races, and put on the new sprockets and chain. Took her for a little test run, and I am happy Should make for a great all arounder...Offroading and long DS rides.

I like the RM forks, but I do not think that they are that much better then the new generation DRZ Cartridge forks. Mine were changed out in 2002, which at that time, they were a huge improvement over the stock 2001 DRZ 400 forks.

Here a couple of pictures of the work that I did today, none of the completed bike. I'll take some of those tomorrow, after I get her a little more cleaned up.

Put in new bearings and races..........

Chillin the races...........makes for easier installation.....

And the front end completed

SFS

southforkspeedster screwed with this post 10-03-2008 at 10:05 PM
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #1566
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Next thing I did...........take off the old chain.

Take off old counter shaft sprocket, and replace with the new 15.

What are you guys doing for a case saver

The washer is now bent over, and I used my impact wrench and red lock-tite when I put on the nut.

Then I went to the rear, loosened up the sprocket bolts with wheel on the bike and daugther holding on the rear brake.

I had to drive the axle out It was tight, at first I thought it may be bent, but nope, just not maintained to often Lubed her up good when I put it back together and she rolls nice now

Once the new rear sprocket was on, I put the rear wheel back in place, wrapped the chain around the sprockets for a measurement, cut the links off that I did not need and stuck in the master link.....Pics of the new chain, but none of the the finished drivetrain. I will get some good pics later of the complete bike, and post them up.......

SFS

southforkspeedster screwed with this post 10-03-2008 at 10:10 PM
Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #1567
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking good keep up the good work!!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #1568
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
Looking good keep up the good work!!
Thanks, I am very familiar with this bike, as it was my project before the Katoom. I will try to find some pictures to scan of it when it was new. It was a one of a kind DRZ back then. Unfortunate for me, my friend who I traded the Katoom to, did not take as good of care of it as me He did not ride it too hard either, just putted on the trails, fell over..........A LOT.....well not really.......fell over.........Some, but always on big baby head rocks , and he did not clean it up too much. He did keep the oil changed, good tires on it, and the filter clean. So with some new plastics, which I may or may not do, and a lot of elbow grease and TLC, I should have her up to my standards in no time at all I am not after a garage queen or a show bike, just a tough, do it all DS, that will last a long time with minimal shop time I will ride the heck out of it. I am looking forward to some real long, real hard, real fun days on the DRZ

Here is a couple of photos of the work completed yesterday and the bike all back together.

The drive train.

The bike put together and ridable

SFS
Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #1569
gearmaker
UmDumChuck

Oddometer: 102
Cheap Back Rack

Could I get a web link for a back rack for DRZ400S? I can find the billet rack, but want one cheaper 60-80.
Has anyone gotten a stock exhaust quieter? The DRZ has plenty of extra power in the woods, exchanging quite for power would be fair swap for me.
I'm running a 13 - 47 sprocket set, the bike pulls up hills and through mud like a tractor.
gearmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #1570
byewayman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaker
Could I get a web link for a back rack for DRZ400S? I can find the billet rack, but want one cheaper 60-80.
Has anyone gotten a stock exhaust quieter? The DRZ has plenty of extra power in the woods, exchanging quite for power would be fair swap for me.
I'm running a 13 - 47 sprocket set, the bike pulls up hills and through mud like a tractor.
There are a couple of racks on e bay GB, i have 2 exhaust systems , the enduro exhaust that came with the bike was very loud (straight through) so i had to buy a street legal silencer to get through the mot.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #1571
byewayman
Adventurer

Quote:
There are a couple of racks on e bay GB, i have 2 exhaust systems , the enduro exhaust that came with the bike was very loud (straight through) so i had to buy a street legal silencer to get through the mot.
Is this what youre after
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-DRZ400-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #1572
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
What are you guys doing for a case saver
Since mine was the offroad model, (14 on front) I just ground down the stocker so that it would clear the 15. Works fine. I also trimmed off the bottom of the cover some so I could quickly check the nut. I have used some red RTV silicone sealer for "loctite" and it has stayed tight. It came loose on me twice before, even after putting it on with my 3/8 impact gun.
Is your bike an "E" model or "S" and did the yosh make that much difference?

www.benddualsport.com

Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1573
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Since mine was the offroad model, (14 on front) I just ground down the stocker so that it would clear the 15. Works fine. I also trimmed off the bottom of the cover some so I could quickly check the nut. I have used some red RTV silicone sealer for "loctite" and it has stayed tight. It came loose on me twice before, even after putting it on with my 3/8 impact gun.
Is your bike an "E" model or "S" and did the yosh make that much difference?
Thanks taco250,
I used red locktite and the impact, I leave the cover off of the counter shaft on all my dirt bikes.

I will mod up the original casesaver by grinding it also, that was my first thought, but figured I would see if there was something available.

Mine is an E model, and has never seen a 15 up front, threfore the original casesaver always worked.

The Yosh and some jetting mods made a BIG change in the power, but when I put the Yosh on I was about 7 years younger and liked the bikes loud. That is a complete Yosh system from head to slip on. Very loud. Now I am thinking of ways to tone her down a bit

My riding has changed a bunch in the last few years, a lot more DSn, nasty long trail rides, hunting, scouting, camping trips and the like, and not too much racing, so I am excited to be back on the DRZ..........at least a little.............a couple of epic DS rides, some commuting to work, and I will be in love with her again...........

I already felt some romance after all the time she and I spent in the shop over the last couple for days

SFS
Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #1574
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Thanks taco250,
I used red locktite and the impact, I leave the cover off of the counter shaft on all my dirt bikes.

I will mod up the original casesaver by grinding it also, that was my first thought, but figured I would see if there was something available.

Mine is an E model, and has never seen a 15 up front, threfore the original casesaver always worked.

The Yosh and some jetting mods made a BIG change in the power, but when I put the Yosh on I was about 7 years younger and liked the bikes loud. That is a complete Yosh system from head to slip on. Very loud. Now I am thinking of ways to tone her down a bit

My riding has changed a bunch in the last few years, a lot more DSn, nasty long trail rides, hunting, scouting, camping trips and the like, and not too much racing, so I am excited to be back on the DRZ..........at least a little.............a couple of epic DS rides, some commuting to work, and I will be in love with her again...........

I already felt some romance after all the time she and I spent in the shop over the last couple for days
There probably is an aftermarket case saver for the S or you could just order the S oem part. I'm too cheap to spend money when a fix (the grinder) is a just a few feet away. I've heard the Yosh's are loud and quiet seems the way to go when going into the woods. See if the local muffler shop will make a turn down for your end cap. It doesn't lower the DB's but it aims them towards the ground, thus making them less noticeable. Be honest: do you miss the 520 power or does the DRZ come "close enough"? Sounds like you might be old enough to appreciate slowing down.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1575
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone got a stock speedo laying around that works they wanna sell cheap? Mine stopped working and I can not figure out whats wrong with it. I have searched for 2 days!!! IM stumped!! I have taken it apart and didnt see anything out of place or broken connections. Im not very electronics savey though, I could have over looked it.

Thanks in advance!