Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #1576
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
There probably is an aftermarket case saver for the S or you could just order the S oem part. I'm too cheap to spend money when a fix (the grinder) is a just a few feet away. I've heard the Yosh's are loud and quiet seems the way to go when going into the woods. See if the local muffler shop will make a turn down for your end cap. It doesn't lower the DB's but it aims them towards the ground, thus making them less noticeable. Be honest: do you miss the 520 power or does the DRZ come "close enough"? Sounds like you might be old enough to appreciate slowing down.
I hear ya on the casesaver I can be the same way sometimes, that is why I do most of my own wrenching............can't stomach paying some 20 YO hack $60.00 an hour to LEARN on my machine

I am going to grind mine down this morning before I go on a short ride after church.

The 525 has lots more power.............and I will tell you after I ride the DRZ in the upcoming 24hr race how much I missed it I will tell you though, wicked power does not always mean wicked fast, especially in tight woods and enduro races The DRZ makes sneaky speed and keeps good traction, with out the tearing up drive train and tires Very important when you are in a race that lasts 24hrs.........even though I will only probably only ride 4/5hrs of the total race (6 man team).

I'll take a look at the end cap option, but am probably going to Ebay the exhaust and put something tamer on after the race at the end of this month.

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #1577
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Coolant Hose protection?

Anyone have a guard/fix to protect the water pump hose (03 KLX400R = DR-Z400E)? A small slide-out on the right side yesterday punctured the hose and bent the copper fitting. Some vise-gripping and cutting the hose shorter/reattaching and emptying my camelback saved the day.

I have a moose bash plate now that porects the pump, but stops before the fitting and hose.

Thanks.
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #1578
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaker
Could I get a web link for a back rack for DRZ400S? I can find the billet rack, but want one cheaper 60-80.
Has anyone gotten a stock exhaust quieter? The DRZ has plenty of extra power in the woods, exchanging quite for power would be fair swap for me.
I'm running a 13 - 47 sprocket set, the bike pulls up hills and through mud like a tractor.
I got the Zook OEM rack and IIRC, it was about $100.

Are you sure the quiet you seek is the exhaust? Add a larger bash plate and the engine noise to YOU goes up enormously. Try removing the bash plate to see if that makes a diff.

I went to Pep Boys and bought some spray on sound deadener. Tha seems to have quieted my bike down some.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #1579
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I went to Pep Boys and bought some spray on sound deadener.
Where did you spray it? To the backside of the plastics and the inside of the bash plate?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #1580
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Where did you spray it? To the backside of the plastics and the inside of the bash plate?
My bash plate is metal. I sprayed it on all the bash plate surfaces which could reflect sound from the engine to me. It did make a difference. I put it on THICK.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #1581
RJP

Quote:
I sprayed it on all the bash plate surfaces which could reflect sound from the engine to me.
Is this the stuff like "rattle-can" car undercoating (black asphaltic stuff that dries flexible)?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #1582
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Anyone have a guard/fix to protect the water pump hose (03 KLX400R = DR-Z400E)? ....
A search of TT revealed some choices -

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...protection+drz

I will carry and extra hose and also put an extra piece of radiator hose over for protection. Maybe a piece of flexible sheet metal between hoses?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #1583
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Is this the stuff like "rattle-can" car undercoating (black asphaltic stuff that dries flexible)?
Exactly. It's called undercoating / sound deadening material intended for use on firewalls & wheel wells.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #1584
gearmaker
UmDumChuck

Oddometer: 102
sound deadening

Quote:
I got the Zook OEM rack and IIRC, it was about $100.

Are you sure the quiet you seek is the exhaust? Add a larger bash plate and the engine noise to YOU goes up enormously. Try removing the bash plate to see if that makes a diff.

I went to Pep Boys and bought some spray on sound deadener. Tha seems to have quieted my bike down some.
Thanks for the information about the Zook.
I don't have the bash plate on yet, so you're saying it's going to get louder. The reduction in sound to me would be nice, but I'm more concerned about cutting my sound in the woods. I run my bike in the National Forest not on approved trails. A noisy exhaust would draw attention. I was hoping for a quick fix, like an exhaust plug, filter.
gearmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #1585
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaker
Thanks for the information about the Zook.
I don't have the bash plate on yet, so you're saying it's going to get louder. The reduction in sound to me would be nice, but I'm more concerned about cutting my sound in the woods. I run my bike in the National Forest not on approved trails. A noisy exhaust would draw attention. I was hoping for a quick fix, like an exhaust plug, filter.
The bike will get noisier for the rider with a large bash plate. It won't be noisier to someone standing by the side of the bike as it passes.

The OEM exhaust is awfully restrictive as it is. I can't imagine how you can make it quieter so I refer you to TT where the Lords of the DRZ hang out.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1586
MOTOXNUT
Suzuki fan from way back

Oddometer: 63
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by southforkspeedster

What are you guys doing for a case saver
Fitted a 15/44 combo to my E model and had the same prob.
S model case saver fitted straight on and was less than $20.00, it was also slightly different in shape to give more strength.

I keep old 14 t sprocket and case saver for swapping back on for knarly off road trips.

2013 KTM690 R
2009 TXC510
2004 DR650SE
MOTOXNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #1587
dpsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I tried the undercoat rattle can on my skid plate but it is very messy. I had the local Rhino lining shop coat it instead. They just threw it in when they were doing a truck. This made it inexpensive. It absorbs most of the motor noise and looks good too. Here are a couple pics.

Eating snow flakes with plastic forks
And a paper plate of course, you think of everything
dpsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #1588
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
That is one sweet DRZ.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsmith

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #1589
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
A couple questions...

Okay, maybe more than two

1-how would adding bed liner to the bottom of a skid plate help with noise?

2-dpsmith-what kind of wind screen is that?

3-I'm going to add a kickstart, and after that going to order case savers. Do TT case savers work on the S model with an aftermarket kick on it?

4-Anybody have a trailtec vaper unit on their bike? If so, is it more accurate/ overall better than the stock speedo?

Thanks for answers!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #1590
dpsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
The bedliner covers the whole skid plate both sides. It reduces the amount of motor noise resonance off the plate back up at the rider. The windscreen is a cut down Cee Baileys. Yes the case savers will work with the kickstart kit. There is no case saver over the area where the kickstart shaft comes out of the motor.

Eating snow flakes with plastic forks
And a paper plate of course, you think of everything
dpsmith is online now   Reply With Quote