ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #16066
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
I did not realize WIX made filters to fit the DRZ. Thanks for the info!
Can get them from Oreily's or a similar shop? Do you know the filter# by chance?

I use WIX on my Tacoma.

They are sold by Napa under their Powersport Filters brand, PFI PS7931.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...931_0183440229

__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #16067
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
thank you.


Great, thank you very much, can you please give me the link to where you get your washers and oil filter from? is there a DRZ400S site that most buy their stuff from?

Ok, i was under the impression that the DRZ needed 15w-50 oil, glad that is not the case, good to see i can use 10w-40 or 20w-50 if id like, how often do you guys change your oil?

Oil filters from Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...931_0183440229

Crush washers from any Suzuki parts retailer. Unless I'm ordering other parts I usually just get them from my local dealer. Shipping pretty much negates any online deal when ordered by themselves.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #16068
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Oil filters from Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...931_0183440229

Crush washers from any Suzuki parts retailer. Unless I'm ordering other parts I usually just get them from my local dealer. Shipping pretty much negates any online deal when ordered by themselves.
Awesome! would you happen to know the crush washer numbers to get? and i know there is 2 of them, both the same size?
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #16069
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
They are sold by Napa under their Powersport Filters brand, PFI PS7931.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...931_0183440229


Superb, thank you for the reply! I've been using Suzuki filters up to this point.


In terms of how often should one change their oil... depends on the type of riding. I've been using Maxima Semi Synthetic every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. I recently put in Lucas Semi Synthetic and might try Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic if I can find it on sale at the auto parts store. I do clean my air filter constantly.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #16070
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Awesome! would you happen to know the crush washer numbers to get? and i know there is 2 of them, both the same size?

09168-10002 for the frame (10mm)

09168-12002 for the engine case (12mm)

Make sure you orient them properly (pointy side of washer against the bolt head) and do not over-tighten the engine case bolt or you will crack it.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #16071
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
09168-10002 for the frame (10mm)

09168-12002 for the engine case (12mm)

Make sure you orient them properly (pointy side of washer against the bolt head) and do not over-tighten the engine case bolt or you will crack it.
great, thank you.

do you reuse yours, or just replace?
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #16072
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
great, thank you.

do you reuse yours, or just replace?

I replace them.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #16073
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
I replace them.
Awesome, thanks for all the info and details pauly, when i get the bike ill check back in and put up some pics.

i allready know i want to do the edge red taillight assembly to clean up the bck, and if i can find an affordable small rear rack.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #16074
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Awesome, thanks for all the info and details pauly, when i get the bike ill check back in and put up some pics.

i allready know i want to do the edge red taillight assembly to clean up the bck, and if i can find an affordable small rear rack.


They're great bikes, you're going to love yours.

I really like the Pro Moto Billet rack but they aren't cheap. I'm not a rack guy but if I ever need one its what I would get.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #16075
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
They're great bikes, you're going to love yours.

I really like the Pro Moto Billet rack but they aren't cheap. I'm not a rack guy but if I ever need one its what I would get.
Thanks, ill look into that one, the thing i like about this bike is that theres tons of aftermarket stuff for it, my previous bike.. lol, not so much.

So is there a drz specific website where people buy parts and accesories from? or is it usually ebay and amazon?
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #16076
ptgarcia
Huh?
 
ptgarcia's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fontuckey, CA
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Thanks, ill look into that one, the thing i like about this bike is that theres tons of aftermarket stuff for it, my previous bike.. lol, not so much.

So is there a drz specific website where people buy parts and accesories from? or is it usually ebay and amazon?


No real DR-Z specific site to speak of. I buy a lot of parts from the ThumperTalk store. They have good prices, no tax, ship quickly and since they're in Las Vegas parts arrive quickly once shipped. They also carry just about everything DR-Z related and package up commonly needed parts (such as their oil change kits) for our bikes.
__________________
Pauly

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #16077
Starchamp
Rebel Scum
 
Starchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Happy Valley, NJ USA
Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
So is there a drz specific website where people buy parts and accesories from? or is it usually ebay and amazon?
Wheeling Cycle Supply, Procycle, Rocky Mountain ATV and Langston Racing are good places to start, along with the bigger chains like Motorcycle Superstore, BikeBandit, and Dennis Kirk.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #16078
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
No real DR-Z specific site to speak of. I buy a lot of parts from the ThumperTalk store. They have good prices, no tax, ship quickly and since they're in Las Vegas parts arrive quickly once shipped. They also carry just about everything DR-Z related and package up commonly needed parts (such as their oil change kits) for our bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Wheeling Cycle Supply, Procycle, Rocky Mountain ATV and Langston Racing are good places to start, along with the bigger chains like Motorcycle Superstore, BikeBandit, and Dennis Kirk.
Thank you guys!!

much appreciated.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #16079
bondbmw
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 60
It's the best :)

Having just completed a 2626 mile trip in a week I can safely say that I should have gone the drz route first. I bought a R1150gs to start dual sporting but as a novice I really struggled off road. Plus given the weight of the bike I was a little afraid to venture off alone.... Dropping the bike off horizontal and burying it in sand meant I couldn't extract it on my own.

The Drz changed all that. Sure I miss the big 'ol bimmer on the freeway but not as much as I thought. Get some tunes in the lid, a comfy seat and get happy at 65mph

Love it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831346
__________________
Lots of bikes
bondbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #16080
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coarsegoldkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Oddometer: 434
Quote:

Some use them as a fix for poor riding technique in for example sand. Others use them as a band-aid fix for a badly behaving bike..
So for the newbie rider what is the proper technique for riding in sand? I've come across some deep stuff in turns mostly and the bike doesn't steer where I want it. It plows and bucks and shakes it's pointy little head. Running a front and rear knobby.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014