Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #16246
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 559
Hey guys (and girls) I need a couple of brake relocator brackets.
I need one to run SM wheels on an S.
I need another to run an EBC 320mm rotor on my SM.
Any ideas on who would have the right ones?
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #16247
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
Hi All, Who/Where do I get Heads Restored/Reconditioned and Who does Nickel

Plating of Cylinders???? Thanks in advance. Im in the Wodonga Vic. area.
Harry's Machine in Northborough Mass does excellent head work and could tell you how to handle any cylinder needs you have. Google them for the number.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #16248
SierraBravo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed to know.

SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Did you get an answer to this? I think everyone got caught up discussing tires.... Anyway, Yes, the shock is compatible, but it probably has a different spring rate, so you probably want to swap the E spring with yours before installing. However, unless you're confident that the E shock has been serviced lately, you're talking about putting on a decade+ old shock with who knows how many hours on it, and the use/abuse that comes with those hours. I'd invest in a rebuild, and get it valved/sprung for your weight and intended use.
SierraBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #16249
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Long way from Victoria, Australia...
Yes it is but we ship all our stuff to them. If you'll pay postage I'm sure they'll do it, although it may not be cost effective.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #16250
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That depends on the what needs to be done. Seat cutting and guide replacement if required is cost effective. Beyond that then you'd be right.

Finding a machine shop to do it right is the hard part. I have had more heads f***ed by idiots that didn't know what they were doing than successes so went out and bought the tools which cost a little more than a replacement head, but allows me to tidy up a head 3 or 4 times before replacement
the valve seats have a special hardcoating; how do you replicate that in your home shop?
also, the most common head failure is the cam support failure due to oil starvation. They have no bearing/bushing and must be align bored: how do you do that?
I wish I had the equipment to handle that, not to mention the skill.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #16251
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
What a difference jetting makes, bike now pulls and gets to higher speeds so much better, so glad i removed that 134MJ and put the 142.5 MJ back in there, the stock gearing works very well imo.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #16252
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
What a difference jetting makes, bike now pulls and gets to higher speeds so much better, so glad i removed that 134MJ and put the 142.5 MJ back in there, the stock gearing works very well imo.
I have the JD kit in mine, to be honest, this bike may be a little to much for me, maybe I'm a wuss or to new to bikes, but I'm scared of the damn thing... its freaky fast

I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew and maybe a 250 would have been a better fit... anyone else ever have this issue?
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #16253
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing View Post
I have the JD kit in mine, to be honest, this bike may be a little to much for me, maybe I'm a wuss or to new to bikes, but I'm scared of the damn thing... its freaky fast

I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew and maybe a 250 would have been a better fit... anyone else ever have this issue?
Lol, me and you are in the exact same situation, i just recently sold a XT250 very similar to your DR200SE in size and power, so yeah, having twice the power is new to me also.

What jets did you end up going with as your main and pilot? you will get used to the bike, im loving the power for sure, i do wish it was lighter tho.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #16254
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Lol, me and you are in the exact same situation, i just recently sold a XT250 very similar to your DR200SE in size and power, so yeah, having twice the power is new to me also.

What jets did you end up going with as your main and pilot? you will get used to the bike, I'm loving the power for sure, i do wish it was lighter tho.
The guy I bought it from jetted it but I have the jd box with left overs at home so I'll have to check which I have left. I wanted a nice commuter that was able to go offroad and I got that but I am on the fence on whether I'll keep it or downsize. I'm giving it a few weeks while waiting on the state to send my title to make a decision. I hope I get used to it... I love it but like I said, I don't want to be afraid of it either haha.

Its okay if you guys think I'm a wuss, I sure feel that way at the moment :P
Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #16255
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

lol, you are not a wuss, you just need to get used to it, i wouldnt mind a little more power

keep the bike, you will get used to the power, and if you downgrade, you will miss it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #16256
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Hey Paul you can ride mine tomorrow at gymkhana, and see what a properly detuned, abused, low on power drz is supposed to feel like!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #16257
FenixRanger
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Starting Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
If you're talking about the obvious hole between the cylinder head mating line and the valve cover, I believe this hole is a drain for the spark plug well. I suspect you have a fuel leak at the petcock sealing surface or somewhere on the fuel tank that is dribbling fuel into the spark plug well. I doubt it has anything to do with the carb.

- Mark
I replaced the petcock and that fixed the problem thanks, but now I have a new problem... I can get the bike to start right away at full choke but it stalls in about a minute. It then refuses to start after that. I can come back in a half hour and it will start but the same problem happens again. I did replace the float in the carburetor, but I'm fairly certain it is at the correct height. Any thoughts?
FenixRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #16258
DR-Zamboni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
sounds to me like you may have forgotten to install the vacuum line running to the backside of the petcock. That is if you replaced the petcock with a stock vacuum operated one. If you installed a gravity operated petcock, you need to look into any reasons why fuel might not be running to the carb, or if there is a kink in the short fuel hose. The reason you would only get the bike to run for a few minutes would be because you have a small amount of fuel left in the bowl, you then run it out, and the petcock is not supplying more fuel.

Now after talking for a bit another idea comes to mind. If you know for sure that the petcock is flowing fuel. Then you need to check the float in the carb, and make sure that the float valve is not stuck or the float itself is not stuck. That would cause this problem as well.

Start with the simple: vacuum line, then check for fuel flow from petcock, then start playing with the carb.

Good luck. If you want a nice trick to get that finicky tightly spaced carb out send me a PM and ill walk you through a trick I used that alleviates some carb removal aggravation on the drz.
DR-Zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #16259
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
If you find that there is no fuel flowing through the petcock then also check to see if atmospheric pressure is present in the tank. If stock gas cap remove it. It could be plugged. My aftermarket gas cap has an air hose into it. Usually hoses don't get blocked but check anyway. If you have one of those very short one way goodies in there then remove it during the diagnosis.You might find that was the culprit.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #16260
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Hey Paul you can ride mine tomorrow at gymkhana, and see what a properly detuned, abused, low on power drz is supposed to feel like!
Haha soon enough man, we're(fiance and I) both hoping to get into gymkhana soon :) its a bit of a trip right now but hoping to move around the Huntsville area in the next 6 months or so! Then I'll hopefully get to meet a few of you guys (bamarides) in person!
Paul