Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #16336
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
I may have messed up with ordering the front shinko 244 at 2.75-21, it looks about 3/4 the size of the trailwing stocker, almost looks like one of those aggresive mountain bikes tire, really slim, im hoping the inner tube will fill it in right, we will see, the rear 5.10-18 looks great.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #16337
Hombrealagua
n00b

Oddometer: 8
DRZ Mods on a Budget

Many of you folks talk about the irrational amount of money some guys spend out there in modifications for their DRZs.
Well, I don't think is anyone's business how much other people spend in their toy... however, it does not always have to be that expensive.
Check this blog out, this guy has done a lot of work on a budget and seems to know their stuff:
ekecko.net
Hombrealagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #16338
Viper210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
I may have messed up with ordering the front shinko 244 at 2.75-21, it looks about 3/4 the size of the trailwing stocker, almost looks like one of those aggresive mountain bikes tire, really slim, im hoping the inner tube will fill it in right, we will see, the rear 5.10-18 looks great.
I made the same mistake but with the Kenda 270. The stock tube fits fine though. The tire looks a tad odd on the bike but has performed very well the last 3000 miles on gravel, pavement and some sand. I'll be ordering new tires soon and will make sure to get at least a 3.00 on the front this time. I think I'm going to order the Shinko Trail Master 700 set this time around.

Here's what the 2.75 looks like mounted and on the bike.
'11 DRZ400S Acerbis Handguards,TT Case Savers,Unibiker Radiator Guards,Hyde Skid Plate,Kenda 270,HEL Braided Lines,IMMIX Cargo Rack,3X3 Mod,JD Jet Kit,Yoshi Fender Eliminator Kit,Moose Headlight Cowl Bag,Moose Cross Bar Pad,Swing Arm Decals,Gripper Seat Cover,ASV F3 Brake & Clutch Levers,Yoshi RS-2 Full Exhaust CF,Zeta Brake Clevis,Anodized Check Plugs,Mishimoto Hoses

Viper210 screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 08:33 AM
Viper210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #16339
SuperTimmy
On A Mission

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
I had the Shinko 244's on my old KLX250s. I liked them, but left a bit to be desired off road. I opted for the Shinko 700's, and have had them on for about 500-600 miles. Just got back from a trip to Uwharrie National Forest in NC and loved them! I rode there, rode all weekend, then rode home on a Sunday afternoon-it is a 4 hour ride from where I am. They performed flawlessly. In not one single instance did I feel longing for a more strictly off road tire. The 700 feels good on the road, not too much vibration, and was awesome in the terrain at Uwahrrie. Uwharrie is a mixture of hard red clay, gravel, dirt/mud, and lots of different sizes of rocks. It has quite a few technical hill climbs as well. Anyway, just my 2 cents. After you where out your 244's, I highly recommend you giving them a try. I also ride my bike as a commuter, so I do my fair share of slabbing.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #16340
gone fishing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
License plate bracket mount

Just picked up a 2001 400E that I am setting up to be road legal. How are you guy mounting your brake light and license bracket to your rear fender? Just drilling a couple of holes? Is the rear fender sturdy enough to take the weight with no modifications? If anybody has a pic or tip, I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Fred
gone fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #16341
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Nice looking bike viper210, i like that exhaust, thanks for the pic.

SuperTimmy, i was very interested in the shinko 700 series, i even started a thread to see which one was more off roadish, the 244's or 700 series, i think next tire set will be the 700's, thanks for the input.

Got the bike all back together today, 25pj, 147.5 mj, needle in 4th clip positon, stock exhaust uncorked, extended fuel screw, unabiker rad guards, TT case savers, uni air filter, trail tech engine temp meter, handlebar risers, edge taillight, small turn signals.. think the only thing my bike really NEEDS now is a aftermarket pipe

some pics of the new shinkos i just put on, rear went on fine, front i pinched the tube TWICE, , had to put on 2 patches at 2 seperate spots, lets hope it holds, been fine since the afternoon.

im actually glad i got the skinny front and fat rear tire, looks good imo.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #16342
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishing View Post
Just picked up a 2001 400E that I am setting up to be road legal. How are you guy mounting your brake light and license bracket to your rear fender? Just drilling a couple of holes? Is the rear fender sturdy enough to take the weight with no modifications? If anybody has a pic or tip, I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Fred
I used a DRC tail light kit from Wheeling cycle and fabbed up a bracket to attach the light to the rear fender w/o drilling any new holds. The rear fender wasn't a stock piece, it's an aftermarket Acerbis.

I have since swapped in a DRZ-S sub-frame and DRZ-S plastic and was able to reuse the DRC tail light w/o the home-made bracket. If you want I'll try to take some pictures of the bracket and how it was attached to the DRZE rear fender tomorrow.

Regards,

Mike
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #16343
gone fishing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
I used a DRC tail light kit from Wheeling cycle and fabbed up a bracket to attach the light to the rear fender w/o drilling any new holds. The rear fender wasn't a stock piece, it's an aftermarket Acerbis.

I have since swapped in a DRZ-S sub-frame and DRZ-S plastic and was able to reuse the DRC tail light w/o the home-made bracket. If you want I'll try to take some pictures of the bracket and how it was attached to the DRZE rear fender tomorrow.

Regards,

Mike
I would really appreciate the picture. I am not sure what brand my dual sport kit is. All the stuff came with the bike but wasnt installed.
Thanks,
Fred
gone fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #16344
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
handlebar risers

What size risers did you put on? Are you using the stock cables?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #16345
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
I'm considering buying a used DRZ. I want the DRZs setup but a friend has a SM for sale that is in super condition. My question is what is the difference between the two specifically: rear shock- rear wheel travel, obviously front fork, is the swing arm the same and are the front and rear axles the same so that I could mount up the S type wheels on the SM. Is there any difference in motors- like cam differences or compression ratios?

Thanks for any info I can get.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #16346
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
I'm considering buying a used DRZ. I want the DRZs setup but a friend has a SM for sale that is in super condition. My question is what is the difference between the two specifically: rear shock- rear wheel travel, obviously front fork, is the swing arm the same and are the front and rear axles the same so that I could mount up the S type wheels on the SM. Is there any difference in motors- like cam differences or compression ratios?

Thanks for any info I can get.
No difference in motors. Different swingarms. S and SM wheels are interchangeable with the caveat that the brake rotor size will be determined by your forks/swingarm. "S" forks can have an adapter fitted for a 320mm rotor.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #16347
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
What size risers did you put on? Are you using the stock cables?
Stock everything, i used these

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ebar-Riser-Kit

make it great for when you stand up.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #16348
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
No difference in motors. Different swingarms. S and SM wheels are interchangeable with the caveat that the brake rotor size will be determined by your forks/swingarm. "S" forks can have an adapter fitted for a 320mm rotor.
The concern I have is the swing arm possibly being wider on the SM and with the S rear wheel mounted it would be over sized spacing between the wheel and the swingarm. Do you know specifically what the difference is on the swingarms?

Thanks...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #16349
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Nice looking bike viper210, i like that exhaust, thanks for the pic.

SuperTimmy, i was very interested in the shinko 700 series, i even started a thread to see which one was more off roadish, the 244's or 700 series, i think next tire set will be the 700's, thanks for the input.

Got the bike all back together today, 25pj, 147.5 mj, needle in 4th clip positon, stock exhaust uncorked, extended fuel screw, unabiker rad guards, TT case savers, uni air filter, trail tech engine temp meter, handlebar risers, edge taillight, small turn signals.. think the only thing my bike really NEEDS now is a aftermarket pipe

some pics of the new shinkos i just put on, rear went on fine, front i pinched the tube TWICE, , had to put on 2 patches at 2 seperate spots, lets hope it holds, been fine since the afternoon.

im actually glad i got the skinny front and fat rear tire, looks good imo.
I put a 4.25" on the rear and 2.75" on the front "goldenboy" shinkos and they performed great in hard trails yesterday. they must be deflated to 12psi or so to make a good footprint and gain traction though. inflate to 30 psi again for road work, and they turn in/roll very nicely.

found a nearly new geomax fr and rr in a garbage can at the ohv park yestrday, so ill rock them for the next asskicker offroad ride.

tire changes are less than an hour for me now. finally :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04oDfqQLq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGptXJ9j5dA
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #16350
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
The concern I have is the swing arm possibly being wider on the SM and with the S rear wheel mounted it would be over sized spacing between the wheel and the swingarm. Do you know specifically what the difference is on the swingarms?

Thanks...
They are the exact same dimensions. The only difference is the rear caliper mounting setup and how the chain adjustments are made.

SM has a larger rear disk than an S and the calipers/brackets are not interchangeable.

SM has axle blocks with the little bolt to adjust tension. The S uses the clam shell style adjusters.

I have an S but also have an SM swinger sitting in the corner I'll be swapping on once the snow starts flying.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote