Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #16411
rkjjeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I just buy lots of flat aluminum crush washers of the right sizes and throw those weird suzuki washers away. Make sure the OD doesn't interfere with anything.
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #16412
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Does anyone know the stock length of the suspenions links AKA dog bones? I think they are around 120mm center-to-center on the mounting holes.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #16413
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
wide ratio gearbox

I am interested in fitting a wide ratio gear set to my DRZ400. I have been following Westy123's experience with a Nova gear set. Are there any other comapnies making this type of product? Has anyone done the conversion? What are your experiences?
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #16414
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Took my 06 SM out on the trails today. It was unusually warm out for November. The Distanzia's were great on the dirt, but felt like slicks in the wet. Time to find a better tire for off road.

Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #16415
fetchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black09JK View Post
Took my 06 SM out on the trails today. It was unusually warm out for November. The Distanzia's were great on the dirt, but felt like slicks in the wet. Time to find a better tire for off road.

I thought the same thing, but I'm not sure I would ever go in the wet. I'm don't go offroad enough to invest in all the kit.
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #16416
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I've been thinking about the Heidenau K60's until I can get a second Dual Sport bike. Then I'll probably go back to road tires on the SM.
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #16417
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I am interested in fitting a wide ratio gear set to my DRZ400. I have been following Westy123's experience with a Nova gear set. Are there any other comapnies making this type of product? Has anyone done the conversion? What are your experiences?
yes there is but neither are worth it, IMHO

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972...-no-six-speed/
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #16418
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
yes there is but neither are worth it, IMHO

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972...-no-six-speed/
Thanks for the reference to the TT thread . I had found it on Google, but the ACT website does not mention anything about the DRZ gears. I will attempt to contct them via e-mail. I am visiting my daughter in California ealy next year, so I am considering buying a gear set then.

I am curious about your opinion expressed re: wide ratios not being worth the $ or effort. I guess it is easier and cheaper to change counter shaft sprockets to suit the riding you expect to do. I am pretty sure re-sale value wont be lifted by the WR box. In my experience second hand buyers don't value mods to bikes highly and certianly won't pay a premium price for a WR box or a big bore engine.

I think th evalue in a WR box is when you are travelling long distances away form your truck/workshop and sprocket changing isn't an easy option.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #16419
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
No one has a stock dog bone they can measure up for me? Just need the center-to-center measurement.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #16420
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I have Nova gears, but the bike is still in pieces. Mine is possibly one of only two in existence as I don't see anyone else talking about it. It is always possible that there are more out there and the owners are simply not talking about them. Likewise the ACT gear set... there seems to be precious few in the wild.
BTW, it is interesting to me how something like a WR transmission for the DR-Z can generate a large amount of discussion with plenty of advice and opinion from experts, but when it comes to actually fronting with the money there are very few takers. I guess they are all still waiting for the 6 speed transmission.

I reckon you're right about where the value lies with these things as the DR-Z is not a lot of fun for extended riding at highway speeds. I am not particularly keen on pulling a sprocket that has been lathered with Loctite and then torquing that nut with a minimalist tool kit by the side of the road... The only time that is cheaper and easier is in the comfort of my own workshop.

Value is more what I get out of it not what it is worth to somebody else... If it means that I can ride the bike all over and enjoy it instead of disliking the ride for the bikes shortcomings then it is money well spent. Some people might go out and buy a different bike and then have to deal with a different set of shortcomings.
Just as a matter of interest, what did you pay for the gears ( from where) and what did it cost to have them fitted?
I think that my level of mechanical expertise is not sufficient for gearbox reco jobs. Last time I tried the XR200 had 4 bits left over. It worked OK though!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #16421
the big c word
the badass noob

Oddometer: 8
raptor petcock

so my stock petcock is leaking from the diaphram, so i ordered the raptor petcock. I have a clark 3.9gl tank , my question is how hard is the conversion? any advice is welcomed
the big c word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #16422
DR-Zamboni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
replacement of the petcock with the raptor one is simple. remove the stock petcock and install the new raptor petcock exactly the way the stock was removed. Oh wait whats this hose?, and why doesn't it have a place to go on the raptor petcock? Cap that off with a vacuum line cap you can get at any autoparts store. Your new set up is no longer vacuum operated, so you are going to have to use your brain and remember to turn the fuel on and off manually when starting and stopping the motor.

Its really that simple. if you want to reach in there you can remove the vacuum line completely and cap off the nipple of the carb. its up to you.

My stock petcock leaked into the carb, then into the cylinder, and ultimately filled the case with fuel. I then stupidly cranked the hell out of my hydrolocked motor and bent valves and needed to rebuild the top end. You are making a wise choice "upgrading" to the raptor petcock. Just remember to shut that fuel off.
DR-Zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #16423
mustang_gt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
04 dr-z400s from china

Hello everybody! My rider DR-Z400S form South China.

mustang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #16424
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Bugger me!!! How about resizing your images.
Just what I was going to say

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #16425
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,646
Quote:
Bugger me!!! How about resizing your images.
Thanks to "pinch to zoom", I see them just fine.

Cool bridge