User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #151
lilswitzerlandrider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Corbin seats

Has anyone purchased a Corbin seat for a drz400s? If so, how much did it lower the seat height? Corbin advertises a 33.5 inch seat height for drz400 but does not specify which model it measured. SM already has 35 inch seat height with S model having 36.9 inch seat height according to Suzuki specs. I have e-mailed Corbin but have not received any info yet.

I currently own a ds200 and an sv650. I am thinking about trading the 200 or possibly both for a drz400s.
lilswitzerlandrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #152
rallydrz
Worst Case Scenario

Oddometer: 276
A couple pics from the PNW

rallydrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #153
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Just traded a KTM for my 4th DR. First was a 1990 250, reliable but weak! second was a 350, reliable but weak! Third was a 2000 DRZ 400, but got the KTM bug, and now have a KTM and another DRZ 400. In the nasty single track I'm faster than on either of my KTMs. Still prefer the KTM 520 for DS and long dirt roads stuff due mostly to the high 6th gear, but my little DRZ is the bike I put on the trailer if it's remotely tough terrain.

I've ridden it twice and already have a rock hole in the left side cover! Everyone told me it was weak, but it's ridiculous! I didn't even hit a rock, one just got thrown either by a buddies roost or my front tire. Luckily we stopped for sightseeing and I noticed the oil leaking out before I hurt the motor. Oil was still full, and we could'nt see any drips on our backtrail. I didn't have my usual JB Kwick Weld with me, but I had duct tape. Good ol duct tape! I laid the bike on it's side, cleaned around the hole with gas, and shoved a little peice of tape in the hole. Then I built up layers of tape until It was about 10 layers thick, and rode it back to the truck about 5 miles. The heat made the duct tape stick so hard I had a tough time peeling it off. I bet the fix would've lasted all day, but I had the JB Weld at the truck.

I'm looking for a tall seat if anyone wants to get rid on one. And some side cover protectors!
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #154
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 817
Get your side cover protectors from thumpertalk.com. My buddy had his broken 3 times before I got my bike. Those were the first thing I added.
Chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #155
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper
Get your side cover protectors from thumpertalk.com. My buddy had his broken 3 times before I got my bike. Those were the first thing I added.
And get a stronger shifter lever, so it won't bend into the engine cover when you dump it.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #156
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
Just traded a KTM for my 4th DR. First was a 1990 250, reliable but weak! second was a 350, reliable but weak! Third was a 2000 DRZ 400, but got the KTM bug, and now have a KTM and another DRZ 400. In the nasty single track I'm faster than on either of my KTMs. Still prefer the KTM 520 for DS and long dirt roads stuff due mostly to the high 6th gear, but my little DRZ is the bike I put on the trailer if it's remotely tough terrain.
Can you share your thoughts on why you can ride faster in nasty single track on your DRZ? I had a pimped out DRZ but sold it and was considering a 520/530 EXC (among other things).
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #157
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
Can you share your thoughts on why you can ride faster in nasty single track on your DRZ? I had a pimped out DRZ but sold it and was considering a 520/530 EXC (among other things).
Can't speak for jgas but I agree. I had bought a new DRZ and new KTM 525 in '05. The DRZ turns sharper and the power delivery is smoother .The 525 (MXC) just beat me up in slower speed hack(suspension/throttle response). The KTM is better in the wide open,but don't do to much riding there so I sold the pumpkin.Now that I swapped in the E motor/carb/exhaust , I don't miss the power difference(still has smooth delivery). MY .02
MotoChris521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #158
OrangevaleFJR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
converting the SM to dirt leaves the kickstand pretty short

OrangevaleFJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #159
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Gas-pig? Anyway... Where I ride is probably equal to some of the nastiest places in the U.S. as far as technical stuff. Rocks of all sizes, shapes, some planted, some not. Not really tall mountains like Colorado, but very steep. All of the hills have roots and off cambers with ledges. The DRZ has easy to use power, turns better than the KTM, and the suspension is valved better for extremely rocky stuff. I also prefer the conventional fork on the DRZ for rocks and roots. I can go almost the same pace on the KTM, but with more effort. I imagine I could change the valving and triple clamps on the 520 to make it as good as the DRZ, but I like it as is for DS and dirt road sliding.

I already have a good tight woods bike in the DRZ, and a good bike for more open terrain in the KTM. I should note that my KTM is an 02, and they changed the frame, clamps, and made them lighter in later years. I've ridden an 06 KTM 450 and it was about equal to the DRZ in turning and power delivery. The KTM 450 has more power than the DRZ, but it comes on in a controllable fashion like the DRZ. In fact, when the DRZ needs a top end, I'll probably do a 440 kit. It is just a little weak in the power department.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #160
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Thanks for the input folks.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #161
stuckinoregon
never enough riding

Oddometer: 57
How do you guys like those Kenda 270s? I just ordered a set. I am doing mostly gravel logging roads, if that helps.
stuckinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #162
moe sizlak
blank

Oddometer: 78
just ordered a stroker crank + 5mm , + 94mm JE piston , black diamond s/s valves , kibble white valve springs , head porting .

should match the TRC yoshi and FCR 39 mm pretty good .

should wake the DRZ up a bit
Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #163
ezriderzzr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
New tank fitted

Thats the new tank fitted 17 ltrs, should save me stopping at every filling station i pass
http://www.coreracing.co.uk/

ezriderzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #164
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
I own both a KTM 450exc and a DRZ400s (which I just bought a few weeks ago). From the limited time I have ridden the DRZ, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the suspension! The DRZ is just so plush, so I can see why people feel it is a better trail/woods bike, IF the trails are rocky and rutted up. This is how our local trails are, and I think the DRZ will be the better bike in this situation (I haven't ridden the DRZ yet in any really nasty stuff, just in a more groomed-but still technical-offroad area). The DRZ is WAY more comfortable than the KTM, b/c of the suspension and wider seat.

As far as power, the KTM has significantly more, but I think a lot (but not all) of this is due to the much different gearing (allowed b/c of the 6 gears in the KTM). Just for perspective, top speed in 1st on the KTM is like 15 mph, vs 30-35 on the DRZ with stock gearing. My next mod is to drop the CS to a 14 tooth one (from stock 15), so we'll see how that works out.

At a stand still, the DRZ is significantly heavier (for example, when lifting up the rear end to move the bike over in the garage), but this weight difference is much less significant once moving. The added weight over the rear may actually help traction in hill climbs though.

For open desert areas, the KTM would probably be a much better bike though.

Mark
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #165
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

My buddy has the DRZ-S, I have the DRZ-E. There's a huge difference in how they feel, although not much on paper. My bike feels 40 lbs lighter, turns way better, and is not tiring to ride. His sucks compared to mine in tight stuff. Not too much difference on faster trails. The extra E model power is nice too. Again, on paper, not much difference between models, but a big difference in "seat of pants". As far as weight compared to KTM RFS and DRZ, I have the 02 RFS, and 02 DRZ. Both feel about the same when picking up on the stand. Also feel about the same picking up from the ground. Once under way, the DRZ takes much less effort to corner on. The KTM is more stable at high speed crossing ruts or hitting roots/rocks. For North Arkansas' single track and rough two track terrain, the DRZ wins hands down stock to stock. The KTM has an edge when it's faster and smoother. Either is great, and I've ridden and raced both with good results. The older I get, and the more my old injuries hurt, the more I appreciate a forgiving bike that doesn't tire me out. The DRZ does that well. If I were making this comparison 10 years ago, I might say the racier KTM is better. Nowadays, I sit much more than stand, and I still ride pretty hard, (A Vet in local HS and B Vet in Nationals), but it just hurts more. Less pain and tiredness= more speed. And more fun. For my 6'2" size, the DRZ is way cramped. I had to raise the bars quite a bit, and also the seat. Stiffer springs. Other than that, nothing. Just ride it.