Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #16636
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
I'm down in Orange County all the time but rarely bring my bike since I sold my truck... might be getting into another truck shortly though...
Great, we are only about a hour apart, im right around the magic mountain area, and the trails are about 7 miles away from my place, if you ever can get your bike down here, let me know, and we can hit some grea trails, i usually hit the trails every sat or sunday morning, theres some awesome stuff out here.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #16637
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Great, we are only about a hour apart, im right around the magic mountain area, and the trails are about 7 miles away from my place, if you ever can get your bike down here, let me know, and we can hit some grea trails, i usually hit the trails every sat or sunday morning, theres some awesome stuff out here.
hell yeah! I will probably trek down by myself in mid january...hopefully have a trailer by then... saturday trail ride would be sick!!!!!
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #16638
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Really! Is that the best you can come up with? That video doesn't even begin to support your theory that riding on the balls of our feet will break ankles let alone provide proof.

Whatever... I am done arguing with an idiot.
When u learn to ride like this then u can argue otherwise u need to

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 01:49 PM
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #16639
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Yeah it was hard work cause i had to drop down to your esteem which is 3 y old.

I will post this video cause there are plenty of nice people on this thread that would like to see it, here u go at 00:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh4xPa39-rs&feature=plcp
what is the story behind 4:29 ? looks like the rider knew the hill ended, or maybe it was a jump he chickened on ? I sure as hell would have
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #16640
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Anybody put a Trail Tech tachometer on their DRZ? looking to put one of those on mine, id like to see some pics.
Heres mine. Im not thrilled at the quality of them, this is my 3rd one, but they do the job and are cheap enough.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #16641
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
what is the story behind 4:29 ? looks like the rider knew the hill ended, or maybe it was a jump he chickened on ? I sure as hell would have
Yes that hill was scary, my buddy thought it was a jump but he realize last second that it was a death trap... so he bailed his iron horsewith couple of pee drops in his Fox pants.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #16642
oRICHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
The same spring that you would use for the your weight and no luggage - just add extra pre-load. The Racetech calculator is good for your purposes.

The short version for this is that your rider weight has not changed so the number of kilograms and millimetres between static and rider sag has not changed.

You'll want to add a little extra damping to the mix.
Hmm, I'm not so sure... I did this on the WYOA 2012 trip and it beat the back end of my bike loads - loose spokes, wheel bearing shot, swing arm and linkage bearings had play. This was with a rear MT21 running at 25psi.
Next time I'll run at 18 to add a little extra cushioning.

Thing is your suppose to match your bikes springs to your weight anyway - I'm about 1 spring on the light side for my rear now but the front could do with being harder. Adding luggage weight (as far as your bike is concerned) is like having a light passenger. It needs to be taking into account I'd guess...

When setting the rear sag there is only so much your suppose to do with the pre-load, after that the race sag messes up your static and highlights the fact the spring isn't right. That is what happened when I adjusted my pre-load to re-level my bike. In the end I set it at the best compromise but when there was no luggage on the bike it was literally hard against the stop - no static sag at all.
That is probably okay I guess but just highlights how much pre-load was needed.

TBH it just surprises me that so many people load these bike up with luggage without at least changing the rear spring. The 'S' has a slight harder rear spring (as it is rated for passengers) so maybe that alone is enough. Not a massive difference though. 'E' spring is 5.3kg/mm and 'S' spring is 5.5kg/mm.
oRICHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #16643
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
Quote:

Always stand on center foot never on the ball of ur foot.
There's always the exception that proves the rule.

When riding thru big rocks or other obstacles at foot height, always ride with the ball of your foot on the peg. If you hit something, it will only knock your foot off the peg, rather than wrapping your foot around the peg breaking a myriad of bones and doing massive ligament damage.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #16644
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsickle View Post
there's always the exception that proves the rule.

When riding thru big rocks or other obstacles at foot height, always ride with the ball of your foot on the peg. If you hit something, it will only knock your foot off the peg, rather than wrapping your foot around the peg breaking a myriad of bones and doing massive ligament damage.
+1
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #16645
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
+1
I just received an email with a picture of a buddies purple big toe from yesterday's ride. He's new to the sport and I forgot to warn him to keep his toes on the pegs for a certain section of trail.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #16646
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
+1
I just received an email with a picture of a buddies purple big toe from yesterday's ride. He's new to the sport and I forgot to warn him to keep his toes on the pegs for a certain section of trail. If I'm riding in thick brush that could contain hidden obstacles, I always have my toes on the pegs. Look up a lisfranc injury and you'll spend a lot more time on your toes in the woods. My wife just missed a season of riding because of this.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #16647
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
There's always the exception that proves the rule.

And when riding in a Michigan stump field also especially if you have big feet.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #16648
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Ligament damage? When I hit a rock buried in tall grass it seriously bent my IMS footpeg. If my toes had been in front of it, they would have been amputated.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #16649
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,705
Quote:
I just received an email with a picture of a buddies purple big toe from yesterday's ride. He's new to the sport and I forgot to warn him to keep his toes on the pegs for a certain section of trail. If I'm riding in thick brush that could contain hidden obstacles, I always have my toes on the pegs. Look up a lisfranc injury and you'll spend a lot more time on your toes in the woods. My wife just missed a season of riding because of this.
Here is my lisfranc injury that I am still recoverying from.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830324
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #16650
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Here is my lisfranc injury that I am still recoverying from.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830324
Ouch that looks painfull, wish u quick recovery & back on the saddle in no time.

Quote:
Good remark Hellsickle , I do keep my toes a l'abri when hitting rock trails but i ride at moderate to low speed (just in case), i try to less stand-riding on rocks (depending on what size rocks are there) that help keep my toes up high (on pegs) preventing contact with debris.