Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #16801
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Just removed the stock header on my ''S'' model, is it normal that one of the bolts is a actuall allen head bolt (side closest to the frame) and the other side its actually studded with a nut that holds on the header? so i got one bolt, and the other side is studded with a nut?

Normal or someone has messed with it before?
I believe my SM was the same way when I put the Yoshi system on last year.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #16802
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Just removed the stock header on my ''S'' model, is it normal that one of the bolts is a actuall allen head bolt (side closest to the frame) and the other side its actually studded with a nut that holds on the header? so i got one bolt, and the other side is studded with a nut?

Normal or someone has messed with it before?
Normal

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #16803
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
I believe my SM was the same way when I put the Yoshi system on last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Normal
Great thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #16804
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I had to go look at my header bolts.Didn't realize they're diff..My 00 E came with the full Yoshimura system
Sad to say there is so much I don't know about my bike. On the small plus side it runs well as I have not
messed with it ..yet

I have been collecting bits and pieces to accessorize it to suit my riding preferences.Problem now is that I lost
my job after 28+ years. So I should have the time to install in between looking for a source of income. Anybody
else loose their job when Hostess/Twinkie/Wonder closed? The negative no income during the Holidays.

Thank you Numbers 955616846 for sharing the info on swingarm/link/shocks...

anybody in the SF/Bay area? After I get the new tires on lets ride...
KLXmcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #16805
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXmcrider View Post
I had to go look at my header bolts.Didn't realize they're diff..My 00 E came with the full Yoshimura system
Sad to say there is so much I don't know about my bike. On the small plus side it runs well as I have not
messed with it ..yet

I have been collecting bits and pieces to accessorize it to suit my riding preferences.Problem now is that I lost
my job after 28+ years. So I should have the time to install in between looking for a source of income. Anybody
else loose their job when Hostess/Twinkie/Wonder closed? The negative no income during the Holidays.

Thank you Numbers 955616846 for sharing the info on swingarm/link/shocks...

anybody in the SF/Bay area? After I get the new tires on lets ride...
I'm in Belmont, right across the bridge! hit me up on the PM's for my number...let's roll!
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #16806
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post

just picked up my first bike ever today.
Awesome, I am sure you will love it.

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #16807
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXmcrider View Post

my job after 28+ years. So I should have the time to install in between looking for a source of income. ...
Sorry bout ur job KLXmc, i was out of town for 2 days and didn't see ur post, i have an almost new complete swing arm (include shock mount linkage+ chain guard) coming off a 2001 E model, i would ask u to me an offer but...oh well you got one now.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #16808
DRDeano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
G'day Chaps,

My first time posting in here, long time lurker.

I own a DRZ400e and was wondering whether anybody knows the distance between holes centres on the suspension link (standard)? I have Devol lowering links (bought on the bike already) but would like to go back to standard to gain me some wheel travel.

Out of interest, do people know this dimension for lowered and raised heights? IE 1" lower = X between centres?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but there is a lot of posts to read to find this info...or not.
DRDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #16809
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Fellow DRZ'ers, i put up a thread about my new MRD/SSW pipe install, check it out.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post20280801
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #16810
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
i need something to be explained to me.

i'm starting to think i don't understand or am just doing something wrong.... here's my story.

i have a 03 KLX400R (green e model) that has 3x3 and full yosh rs-3 system. i took the FCR carb off and put on a s model carb. carb is clean with under 100 miles on it. when i bought the carb it came with a stage 1 dynojet kit and a extended fuel screw.

i put in a 25 pilot and a 142.5 main, stage 1 needle on the 3rd clip. bike ran ok but when cruising around 60-70 mph had bad lean surge. i put in a 145 main jet and the lean surge was gone but full throttle felt like it was off. i was told the taper of the needle was a bit weird and to get the stage 2 kit. i got the stage 2 kit and jetted as follows. 160 main, 25 pilot, stage 2 needle on the 3rd clip. again the bike surges like crazy when going 60+ and doesn't feel like it has much power. i contacted dynojet to see if they could send me some bigger main jets and they said it's too rich. my head pipe is glowing red while cruising as well. this sounds like a lean condition right?

oh i'm at sea level.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #16811
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
i'm starting to think i don't understand or am just doing something wrong.... here's my story.

i have a 03 KLX400R (green e model) that has 3x3 and full yosh rs-3 system. i took the FCR carb off and put on a s model carb. carb is clean with under 100 miles on it. when i bought the carb it came with a stage 1 dynojet kit and a extended fuel screw.

i put in a 25 pilot and a 142.5 main, stage 1 needle on the 3rd clip. bike ran ok but when cruising around 60-70 mph had bad lean surge. i put in a 145 main jet and the lean surge was gone but full throttle felt like it was off. i was told the taper of the needle was a bit weird and to get the stage 2 kit. i got the stage 2 kit and jetted as follows. 160 main, 25 pilot, stage 2 needle on the 3rd clip. again the bike surges like crazy when going 60+ and doesn't feel like it has much power. i contacted dynojet to see if they could send me some bigger main jets and they said it's too rich. my head pipe is glowing red while cruising as well. this sounds like a lean condition right?

oh i'm at sea level.
air leak?
bad stator?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #16812
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
You have to start looking at other issues like the previous poster mentioned. If you haven't seen any change with that new needle jet and needle (remember a matched pair) there is something else going on.

Ron W.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #16813
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Checked for air leaks new stator.

The thing is that I did see a change when I had the stage one needle in and went from a 142.5 main to a 145.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #16814
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post

oh i'm at sea level.
You should not be trying to tune cruise with the main jet size. Cruise will be on the needle. Exactly what portion of the taper is responsible depends on the exact throttle opening. Put some tape on the throttle housing and the edge of the grip. Mark zero throttle with a sharpie. This is best done with the engine idling, so you can tell when the slack in the cable has just been taken up. Turn off the engine and mark wide open. Now take a tape measure (metric works best in my opinion) and measure the length of the arc. Put a mark at the mid point for 1/2 opening. Duplicate this procedure to mark the mid-point between here and zero throttle opening to get 1/4 open, and between here and WOT for 3/4 opening. Repeat for 1/8 and 1/16 openings. With the help of the marks, determine precisely during what throttle opening(s) it misbehaves. Don't have an accident trying to look at the marks while riding. If you do, I'm not responsible!

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #16815
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDeano View Post
G'day Chaps,

My first time posting in here, long time lurker.

I own a DRZ400e and was wondering whether anybody knows the distance between holes centres on the suspension link (standard)? I have Devol lowering links (bought on the bike already) but would like to go back to standard to gain me some wheel travel.

Out of interest, do people know this dimension for lowered and raised heights? IE 1" lower = X between centres?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but there is a lot of posts to read to find this info...or not.
I don't know exactly the distance in between hole centers but i recommend u don't go above 1" (if ur off roader) otherwise you'll be bottuming very easely. The standard dog bones could be something like 0.75". U can also adjust the travel on ur rear shock absorber by dropping down the adjuster nut set few mm. (only to avoid bottuming but ur rear susp. will be stiffer)...I hope this help.