Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #16816
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,152
one of the guys has bought himself a DRZ400 and started learning to pop the front wheel up a few weeks ago. thought i'd share this pic of his fine upstanding steel beast.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #16817
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Noob plea for help

Dove into the DR-Z (-ish) world this weekend (bought an '03 KLX400) and have been scouring this thread and TT looking for instructions for the instrument cluster. Not sure what all the buttons are intended to do. Can someone point me to a post or a thread on the instruments?

Looking forward to putting on some miles.

Thanks,

Dave
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #16818
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,656
Same trails + new tire =

Before

After

Much better day riding damp and leafy trails....didn't mean I didn't dump it a few times

Great day for riding
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #16819
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
one of the guys has bought himself a DRZ400 and started learning to pop the front wheel up a few weeks ago. thought i'd share this pic of his fine upstanding steel beast.

That looks suspiciously like the road about 5ks before the Gantry on Mt Mee !!!!!!!
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #16820
DRDeano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I don't know exactly the distance in between hole centers but i recommend u don't go above 1" (if ur off roader) otherwise you'll be bottuming very easely. The standard dog bones could be something like 0.75". U can also adjust the travel on ur rear shock absorber by dropping down the adjuster nut set few mm. (only to avoid bottuming but ur rear susp. will be stiffer)...I hope this help.
I'm trying to get it back to stock height because it has been bottoming out. I'm only short so I'm going to shave the seat instead so I can keep recoup some suspension travel.

If anyone else knows the dimension or is willing measure their standard dogbones, it would be greatly appreciated. Another solution would be if anyone is Australia is willing to part with a pairr of standard ones.
DRDeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #16821
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDeano View Post
G'day Chaps,

My first time posting in here, long time lurker.

I own a DRZ400e and was wondering whether anybody knows the distance between holes centres on the suspension link (standard)? I have Devol lowering links (bought on the bike already) but would like to go back to standard to gain me some wheel travel.

Out of interest, do people know this dimension for lowered and raised heights? IE 1" lower = X between centres?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but there is a lot of posts to read to find this info...or not.
I measured the stock ones and they look to be about 123mm between the center of the holes on the dog bones.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #16822
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

Cool shot, he looks very determined
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #16823
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Same trails + new tire =

Before

After

Much better day riding damp and leafy trails....didn't mean I didn't dump it a few times

Great day for riding

The was I tell my missus, if I'm not dumping it at least once a ride, I'm not riding it hard enough :)
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #16824
DRDeano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
I measured the stock ones and they look to be about 123mm between the center of the holes on the dog bones.
Psycho
Thanks Psycho! :

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
DRDeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #16825
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Same trails + new tire =

Great day for riding
When you did drop it, was it due to the front washing out? Try putting on a front tyre that matches the rear... you'll get a much better handling bike.

I had one of those fronts on over the last year- it even washed out on my compacted driveway. Best thing I did was get rid of it. I don't mind the rear sliding around a bit, but if the front slides around you're heading for trouble. Just my thoughts.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #16826
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
When you did drop it, was it due to the front washing out? Try putting on a front tyre that matches the rear... you'll get a much better handling bike.

I had one of those fronts on over the last year- it even washed out on my compacted driveway. Best thing I did was get rid of it. I don't mind the rear sliding around a bit, but if the front slides around you're heading for trouble. Just my thoughts.
Planning on replacing it after Christmas...Buying the rear tire was an exception....I get placed on purchasing lock-down from Thanksgiving until Christmas (Wife says I ruin her gift ideas)

As for the cause....which time? a couple times I slid out the front...and a couple I got out of shape riding roots...and a couple the damn trees must have moved .
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #16827
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
...and a couple the damn trees must have moved .
They do that.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #16828
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I just checked out Dirt Bike magazine at stater bro's while shopping, they have a new 2013 bike buyers guide, they have all of the
track bikes
off road bikes
street legal bikes
youth bikes

all listed with prices and explanation of pretty much what the bike is about, to my surprise, NO DRZ400S, bullshit!! they had all these beta, husaberg, and other bikes that not a lot of people dont have, they had pretty much every street legal dirt bike on there, the only bike that was missing was the DRZ400S, whats up with that?

it was by cc's, so they had the 650 honda L, the V-strom, klr, and then they went straigh to the husky te 500/419/310 or whatever they are, just skipped the drz all together, i think the drz is pretty much in the top 5 dual sport bikes out there, dont know why they skipped it, feel like writing them a strong worded email telling em to GET BENT.

sorry, just wanted to see my bike in the magazine too.

EDIT, here is the article i was looking at, THOSE BASTARDS!

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...th=1&year=2013
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #16829
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well, I will admit that those are more bike than the drz.. but you're gonna pay for it in terms of msrp and wrench time... most don't look at that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #16830
Truck115
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I don't think they listed the Suzuki DR 650 either. Don't know how you could miss those 2 bikes. Both bikes seem really popular. I know this a DRZ 400 thread but just thought I would throw that out there. Looking to buy a DRZ in early spring so I've been looking around here alot.
Truck115 is offline   Reply With Quote