Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #16936
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Great pics DR650SEDDY, thanks for sharing, looks like a ride id love to do.
Yes, looks like a fun trip. Trying to figure out about where you were riding...west of 17 off bumblebee maybe?
Anyway, looks like perfect dry terrain. That roadbook/directions thing on the bars looks interesting as well.
Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #16937
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Thanks to those who kind of swayed me to the DRZ side of the equation!
As I read a billion articles on this topic, I guess the summation is the DR is basically for the road, and the DRZ is basically for off road...

Is there a way to stiffen up the back suspension on each, like an off road spring or something? It seems both need suspension work if you are taking it off road, but how much and how expensive is this endeavor?

Thanks DRZ folks!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #16938
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Yes, looks like a fun trip. Trying to figure out about where you were riding...west of 17 off bumblebee maybe?
Anyway, looks like perfect dry terrain. That roadbook/directions thing on the bars looks interesting as well.
Psycho
From Cave creek take FR24 (seven spring rd) to the camp site. It's 0.7 mi. N. of the camp turn left.
There: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...p=1&sz=18&z=16 at ballon (B) I turned right to head up the mountain cuz there was a closed gate there.
I end up here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.99...num=1&t=h&z=17 with a dead end. It got rougher as i climbed up in elevation.
There are galore side trails in that area but they're mostly dead end.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #16939
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Winterizing for Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by okietrailboss View Post
anybody have starting issues under 50deg fahrenheit
Yes, All the time! I'm at about 50 feet above sea level, and Anywhere from 0c to +5c I can start it fine, but it stalls out on me way too much. Last night it was right on freezing, and I couldn't even get it to idle properly for almost 10 minutes...I almost ran the battery dead trying to keep it going.....Maybe I'll try some new antifreeze and new oil......

Someone mentioned jetting? what's an ideal winterizing procedure?

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:21 AM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #16940
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post

Is there a way to stiffen up the back suspension on each, like an off road spring or something? It seems both need suspension work if you are taking it off road, but how much and how expensive is this endeavor?

Thanks DRZ folks!
Yes off course i use Eibach spring on my shock absorber it's stiffer than OEM (there's whole lot of other variety springs out there). My front ones are race tech. You can also dial ur rear/front suspension by adjusting rebound/compress. screw to ur type of riding you do (see owner manual). Check on ebay, i got my rear shock, mint condition for under $100.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #16941
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Thanks!

I really like them, had no issues at all thus far. I also have a pair on my F800, and a 9 light bar on the Volvo that we use for TSD rallying. Very robust, lots of light and a low current draw.

Wiring is pretty conventional, they have their own power source off the battery, and I'm running a relay off the low beam circuit and secondary switch. I will probably put a Fuzeblock up in the fairing now (as I have on the 800), to neaten the wiring up a little more. Mounted them on the stock turn signal brackets, with turn signals in the handguards.
Thanks for the info! I've got a rally fairing that I'm planning to install, so I'm looking at some of Vision X's larger LED systems to fill out the headlight opening, and I thought about cramming 4-6 of the Solos in there, but I'm not sure I'll get the distance. Might have to look at something like the Xmitter Low Profile PX. Maybe even two.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #16942
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
The full post has a nice shot of a rainbow trout that any flyfishing compulsive in the lower48 would die for. Too bad it costs $1m to move there.
My wife and I travelled there a few years back and my understanding was that if you have a desireable trade and aren't over 45, they'll welcome you. Probably still need $1M to buy a house though.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #16943
Greg MacD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Ive pulled 90 in 14/45 gearing, 65/70 mph cruising comfortably

Gear for higher speeds and itll cruise 80 all day and night, no problems.
I'll agree, but 90 mph on my DRZ is a bit hairy, I will ride all day at 65 mph...and I am working with the stock gearing.
"Drinking Rum before 10 am does not make you an Alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate"
Greg MacD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #16944
jkm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Can anyone tell me if the SM gas tank will bolt onto a S? I know that the 'E' won't bolt up to the 'S', but wasn't sure about the SM. Thanks...jkm
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #16945
thumpty dumpty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm View Post
Can anyone tell me if the SM gas tank will bolt onto a S? I know that the 'E' won't bolt up to the 'S', but wasn't sure about the SM. Thanks...jkm
Yes, SM and S tanks are identical.
thumpty dumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #16946
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Yes, All the time! I'm at about 50 feet above sea level, and Anywhere from 0c to +5c I can start it fine, but it stalls out on me way too much. Last night it was right on freezing, and I couldn't even get it to idle properly for almost 10 minutes...I almost ran the battery dead trying to keep it going.....Maybe I'll try some new antifreeze and new oil......

Someone mentioned jetting? what's an ideal winterizing procedure?
What set-up are you running right now?

I have and 08 with the JD Jetting kit, and the Kientech idle screw that I did about a month ago. Starts, idles, etc perfectly last night at -1C.

Maybe I lucked out, but when I did the kit, I was amazed at how FAST it starts when warm.

Probably get it dynoed this spring to make sure it's spot-on, but right now I'm very happy with the way it runs.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #16947
Danielmoben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpty dumpty View Post
Yes, SM and S tanks are identical.
You can fix de E tank into a S model... At least 2004 models I did it with a little modification...

www.mobenmotorcycles.blogspot.com
Danielmoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #16948
TDR400
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Muffler guard

Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new to the list and am struggling with the search feature .........

Looking for a bolt on cover for the muffler that keeps my Gears bag from resting against the exhaust.

TIA
Jim
TDR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #16949
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR400 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new to the list and am struggling with the search feature .........

Looking for a bolt on cover for the muffler that keeps my Gears bag from resting against the exhaust.

TIA
Jim
Google works well to search the forum.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #16950
TDR400
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Muffler guard

..... forgot to mention it is a 2003.
TDR400 is offline   Reply With Quote