Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #16951
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Thanks to those who kind of swayed me to the DRZ side of the equation!
As I read a billion articles on this topic, I guess the summation is the DR is basically for the road, and the DRZ is basically for off road...

Is there a way to stiffen up the back suspension on each, like an off road spring or something? It seems both need suspension work if you are taking it off road, but how much and how expensive is this endeavor?

Thanks DRZ folks!
If you go to the racetech website they have a spring calculator that will tell you what weight springs you need for your bike with you on it. Just changing the springs and adjusting the shock/fork is adequate and will cost you a little over $100 per end for the springs. If you want it to be ideal the forks and shock can be revalved too. Not sure what that would cost.

Suspension work is the most cost effective performance modification you can make. Getting the springs right and the sag set right is the 1st step. Having it set up right will make the bike handle better on and off road.
211john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #16952
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211john View Post
If you go to the racetech website they have a spring calculator that will tell you what weight springs you need for your bike with you on it.
I would advise caution with the calculator on RaceTech's site. I've had it make recommendations that turned out to be several spring rate increments too stiff, and therefore don't use it anymore.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #16953
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR400 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new to the list and am struggling with the search feature .........

Looking for a bolt on cover for the muffler that keeps my Gears bag from resting against the exhaust.

TIA
Jim
This is probably the best thing you'll find for the money. Can't beat $55.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ40...e1ebfc&vxp=mtr
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #16954
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new to the list and am struggling with the search feature .........

Looking for a bolt on cover for the muffler that keeps my Gears bag from resting against the exhaust.

TIA
Jim
Wrap an old tag in chicken wire and bolt it to the muffler, under the plastics. It will reduce the meltage and heat on your leg a ton. Then put racks on
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #16955
TDR400
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Indeed that is a deal! Even at $84 at the website it is a good price. And should I want to go to hard panniers - I have something to mount to. Thanks a ton.
TDR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #16956
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
DRZ 400 S plastic.

Good evening. Replacement plastic is available everywhere. BUT, what I want to do is just replace the front and rear fender from yellow to white and have a totally white bike. Specifically where is the best place to buy quality plastic that will be the same as OEM. Or should I just bite the bullet and go to the Suzuki store? I'll prolly replace the signals at the same time. All suggestions welcome. Or should I buy one of those kits that have all the plastic?
Thanks,
Don
XR200, 1947 James ML
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #16957
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I would advise caution with the calculator on RaceTech's site. I've had it make recommendations that turned out to be several spring rate increments too stiff, and therefore don't use it anymore.

Regards,

Derek
Agree
Procycle also have a guide. I considered both guides to develop an understanding of how the rates vary with load and riding style. As the range i was considering was going up a several notches from standard anyway, within this range i erred on the side of soft, figuring i would have an improved ride anyway. In the end I just made my best guess, but have been happy with the outcome.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #16958
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I have these and they are brilliant, mine arrived and got fitted in 20 minutes with NO adjustment needed. The guy that makes them does a Good Job.
Also they do the job their made for with minimum weight, I have a Giant Loop bag installed on mine.

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #16959
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,

Derek
Worked spot on for my rear springs, and missed the mark on my fork springs. ???? Go figure

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #16960
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:

TIA
Jim
http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/bu...-29f00-068.htm

Link above is for a European spec DRZ400SM optional muffler guard. I bought one of these & put it on my 2009 DRZ400S. Took a little dremel work to get it to fit, but it was worth the effort. Looks factory stock....

Dasvis

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S

dasvis screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:14 PM
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #16961
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
* The wiring for the speedo changed to 3 wires in 2005, so it'll depend on what year cluster you got.
Amazing the amount of info on here, I've just fitted a 4 wire speedo to a three wire loom and was baffled by the missing wire. Just ignore the Gray one.
The diagram was handy, thanks!

Daithi screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:49 AM
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #16962
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
figured id leave these here

Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #16963
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Worked spot on for my rear springs, and missed the mark on my fork springs. ???? Go figure
My guess is that the RaceTech calculator fails to take into account differences in rake angle. I think it assumes some "average" rake angle, so that two different bikes that had the same laden weight would get the same fork spring recommendation, even if their rake angles were different.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #16964
Viper210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Installed new blue fork gators and riser.

'11 DRZ400S Acerbis Handguards,TT Case Savers,Unibiker Radiator Guards,Hyde Skid Plate,Kenda 270,HEL Braided Lines,IMMIX Cargo Rack,3X3 Mod,JD Jet Kit,Yoshi Fender Eliminator Kit,Moose Headlight Cowl Bag,Moose Cross Bar Pad,Swing Arm Decals,Gripper Seat Cover,ASV F3 Brake & Clutch Levers,Yoshi RS-2 Full Exhaust CF,Zeta Brake Clevis,Anodized Check Plugs,Mishimoto Hoses
Viper210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #16965
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
figured id leave these here

Nice bike, where can i get that TOOL TUBE you have on there? i have seen a few of them, but cant seem to find one.