ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #16981
Starchamp
Rebel Scum
 
Starchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Out there
Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
This 4" x 16" incher holds all the tools I need for trailside repairs and I can easily get my hand and arm into it. I have ridden with it over some very rough terrain without it self destructing. Including a fall or two on the left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Side view, pretty low profile
Gentlemen, how well do the tool tubes fit behind the Wolfman rack? Does it interfere with fitment of the saddlebags at all?
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #16982
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer
 
coarsegoldkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Oddometer: 564
No interference with the Wolfman rack. No issues getting the Wolfman bags on the rack either. No issues with the tire upon wheel travel. A welded system might be better but I haven't had any problems with the mounting.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #16983
Viper210
Adventurer
 
Viper210's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Elmendorf, Texas
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Whats the best solution for long hours in the saddle: Airhawk or Seat Concepts recover? Appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried both
Just ride and build up your endurance. And when your arse can't take anymore, standup and ride on your pegs. It'll increase your leg endurance. Sit as long as you can then ride pegs as long as you can and if that doesn't work....I hear AirHawk is a good product.
__________________
'11 DRZ400S Acerbis Handguards,TT Case Savers,Unibiker Radiator Guards,Hyde Skid Plate,Kenda 270,HEL Braided Lines,IMMIX Cargo Rack,3X3 Mod,JD Jet Kit,Yoshi Fender Eliminator Kit,Moose Headlight Cowl Bag,Moose Cross Bar Pad,Swing Arm Decals,Gripper Seat Cover,ASV F3 Brake & Clutch Levers,Yoshi RS-2 Full Exhaust CF,Zeta Brake Clevis,Anodized Check Plugs,Mishimoto Hoses
Viper210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #16984
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper210 View Post
Just ride and build up your endurance. And when your arse can't take anymore, standup and ride on your pegs. It'll increase your leg endurance. Sit as long as you can then ride pegs as long as you can and if that doesn't work....I hear AirHawk is a good product.
Yeh I know, I'm a pussy! . But I've got a 5000km+ ride coming up in a few months and I want all the help I can get
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #16985
oldcodger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Whats the best solution for long hours in the saddle: Airhawk or Seat Concepts recover? Appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried both
I have no experience with the Airhawk, however I have a Seat Concepts seat which is bearable on long days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper210 View Post
Just ride and build up your endurance. And when your arse can't take anymore, standup and ride on your pegs. It'll increase your leg endurance. Sit as long as you can then ride pegs as long as you can and if that doesn't work....I hear AirHawk is a good product.
Notice Muddlers location. Standing on the pegs on public roads in most states is illegal so long hours does mean sitting at least until we're outside the scrutiny of the police.
oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #16986
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
I have no experience with the Airhawk, however I have a Seat Concepts seat which is bearable on long days.



Notice Muddlers location. Standing on the pegs on public roads in most states is illegal so long hours does mean sitting at least until we're outside the scrutiny of the police.
"bearable" doesn't sound fantastic. I suppose there's limits to what I should really expect from what is a relatively (compared to a 650) narrow bike. Maybe if I start with the seat concepts seat, then a Airhawk will be more effective with a wider base if I go ultra-woosey.
I still stand up on the country roads, then sit on left cheek, right cheek, both, stand up etc, etc. For the trips to the WA outback, there is a 4 hour run from the coast out through the wheat belt before hitting the dirt.that is the hard part. In June I'm doing the Anne Beadell Hwy (dirt) with 59Den; I may have to return across the Nullarbor. I did this once on an X Challenge, which was testing, on a stock DRZ, it will be torture!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #16987
blaster11
Enabler
 
blaster11's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Southern Maryland
Oddometer: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Gentlemen, how well do the tool tubes fit behind the Wolfman rack? Does it interfere with fitment of the saddlebags at all?
Bags fit fine but the rack sits up tight against the tube causing a small depression. Actually I think the tight fit is a good thing as I have no fear of the plastic tabs breaking off the tube now.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #16988
hizzo3
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
Notice Muddlers location. Standing on the pegs on public roads in most states is illegal so long hours does mean sitting at least until we're outside the scrutiny of the police.
What states is this action illegal in? I've stood on my pegs in front of law enforcement in 3 different states riding through town and never even saw the lights flash on and off. Last I checked, its recommended that when crossing and object on the road you raise yourself off the seat, which in some states is illegal? To me, that is like banning wearing of helmets because you won't look cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #16989
oldcodger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
"bearable" doesn't sound fantastic. I suppose there's limits to what I should really expect from what is a relatively (compared to a 650) narrow bike. Maybe if I start with the seat concepts seat, then a Airhawk will be more effective with a wider base if I go ultra-woosey.
I still stand up on the country roads, then sit on left cheek, right cheek, both, stand up etc, etc. For the trips to the WA outback, there is a 4 hour run from the coast out through the wheat belt before hitting the dirt.that is the hard part. In June I'm doing the Anne Beadell Hwy (dirt) with 59Den; I may have to return across the Nullarbor. I did this once on an X Challenge, which was testing, on a stock DRZ, it will be torture!

I'm not inclined to overstate the benefits of a seat because one man's perfection could be another's torture device. It is entirely subjective. I've had good results with the Seat Concepts seat, but the only way for you to know for certain is to try one yourself.
oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #16990
JT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elgin, Texas
Oddometer: 342
Been lurking on this thread for a while now as I have a basket case KLX400R that is starting to come together.

These tool tubes are very durable, I have 3 on my XR650L and they have withstood many crash tests with no damage. Sure can't beat the price.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large-with-neoprene-seal/p
/67670/&sid=&eid=/


Here's my pig in MX. Next trip, I hope to be on the 400!



This is Blaster11's pic, looks like a great mount,

__________________
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #16991
oldcodger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzo3 View Post
What states is this action illegal in? I've stood on my pegs in front of law enforcement in 3 different states riding through town and never even saw the lights flash on and off. Last I checked, its recommended that when crossing and object on the road you raise yourself off the seat, which in some states is illegal? To me, that is like banning wearing of helmets because you won't look cool.
Are you in Australia? The use of the words "Law Enforcement" suggests American.

There are several threads in the Oz forum covering this subject.
oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #16992
MushNB
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 39
Used DRZ but no test ride

Hey guys, figured I would ask the DRZ experts on the site, I am looking at a used DRZ 400S, a 2001 model. Has 17,000 miles and has been used on road for commuting. The guy is asking a pretty low price for where I live, but the only thing is that since it is winter, he won't allow any test drives, so other than starting up, I have no idea about its condition. Everything looks ok, but is there anything I could do or check to sort of make sure I covering my basis and wont get any crazy suprises come the spring. Thanks, appreciate any help! Oh, and with the exception of the 3x3 air box mod, the bike is stock, and he said oil changes have been done regularly - he even showed me how to change the oil and showed me the parts/oil he used to do the latest change in the fall.
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #16993
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Hey guys, figured I would ask the DRZ experts on the site, I am looking at a used DRZ 400S, a 2001 model. Has 17,000 miles and has been used on road for commuting. The guy is asking a pretty low price for where I live, but the only thing is that since it is winter, he won't allow any test drives, so other than starting up, I have no idea about its condition. Everything looks ok, but is there anything I could do or check to sort of make sure I covering my basis and wont get any crazy suprises come the spring. Thanks, appreciate any help! Oh, and with the exception of the 3x3 air box mod, the bike is stock, and he said oil changes have been done regularly - he even showed me how to change the oil and showed me the parts/oil he used to do the latest change in the fall.
No test ride = no sale, thats just me tho.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #16994
groop
So much to ponder
 
groop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: oc, ca
Oddometer: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
No test ride = no sale, thats just me tho.
^^^ IMHO you really need to ride it and go through the gears.
__________________
Because you cannot eat a salad with a spork.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #16995
Drizzt
Ranger
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson AZ
Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Hey guys, figured I would ask the DRZ experts on the site, I am looking at a used DRZ 400S, a 2001 model. Has 17,000 miles and has been used on road for commuting. The guy is asking a pretty low price for where I live, but the only thing is that since it is winter, he won't allow any test drives, so other than starting up, I have no idea about its condition. Everything looks ok, but is there anything I could do or check to sort of make sure I covering my basis and wont get any crazy suprises come the spring. Thanks, appreciate any help! Oh, and with the exception of the 3x3 air box mod, the bike is stock, and he said oil changes have been done regularly - he even showed me how to change the oil and showed me the parts/oil he used to do the latest change in the fall.
If you can put it on a stand, you can run it through all the gears to be sure the gearbox hasn't blown up.

If there's problems with how it runs, it won't show up unless you ride it though. However, if it starts and goes through all the gears, it would be pretty unlikely to have any problems.
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400S

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014