Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #17446
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
I have an 03 DRZ 400 S, and I need to get a rack for her.
The trouble is Suzuki GB only sell racks for the 04 onwards, and when I rang them they won't tell me if it'll fit my 03, and say that 03's are discontinued.
I can't afford to buy something that isn't going to fit, so could any of you guys pass on some of your wisdom?
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
Get a Moto-Rack. They're made by a fellow ADVr

http://www.moto-racks.com/Blank.html

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667912

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #17447
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDeano View Post
Does anyone know for certain whether a rear sub frame off an 'S' will fit on an 'E'? I have an 'E' and would like to get some pillion pegs so the wife can hop on the back and keep her happy.

Failing that does anyone have any other work arounds?

If it does work, does anyone have a rear frame with pegs they would like to part with?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Yes, but you will need to tweak the exhaust mount and trim the rear plastic.

I ended up "fabbing" a bracket from an extra upper motor mount plate.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #17448
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
The trouble is Suzuki GB only sell racks for the 04 onwards, and when I rang them they won't tell me if it'll fit my 03, and say that 03's are discontinued.
I can't afford to buy something that isn't going to fit, so could any of you guys pass on some of your wisdom?
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
www.ruggedrider.com
luni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #17449
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Now I have a question. Let me preface. '01 S with BSR carb and full fmf Q4 exhaust. I'm kinda toying with the idea of adding Hotcams and a FCR39 to it. For now, the stock bore is fine, and I need to keep the thing quiet. The bike has over 10K miles.

Do I need to buy a new cam chain? What else do I need?
Not really if it doesn't have any signs of wear. But just to be on the safe side they're around $30 new in case u decided otherwise.
YBN SUZUKI DRZ400 S SM CAM CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN 00-09
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #17450
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
U can always custom made ur own if u r into welding and stuff.

I can carry up to 25 lbs easy on that rack.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #17451
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,745
I made mine. I don't think it cost more than $3.

threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #17452
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
I made mine. I don't think it cost more than $3.

Wow that's $2 less of what i spend ...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #17453
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I have a query reguarding the fan on the DRZ400, I have a ccm SR40 with a DRZ400E engine and I want to put a kick start on it. However the location of the fan on the Raditaor (from a DRZ400S) of the CCM means that the de compressor won't fit.

I have a couple of questions

1. For anyone on a DRZ 400 S or SM how often does the fan Kick in while you are riding and in what situation does it kick in?
2. For anyone with a DRZ 400E does any one have any horror stories due to the bike over heating in stop start traffic or on technical trails due to the bike not having a Fan on the raditaor??
3. For anyone with a DRZ 400 E do you need a decompressor to kick start the bike??
Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #17454
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Re the rack question....

Thanks to all you guys who took the trouble to reply, again very much appreciated.
The rack that I ordered this afternoon is this .

Part number
990D0-29F00-065

It's mainly to carry my tools and camera on the trails, so no real heavy load carrying capacity required.

I really do envy the guys who can weld, your work is great.
Welding both gas and arc, is something that I briefly touched on while doing my apprenticeship many many moons ago, and never followed up on, one of those things that I'd wished that I'd kept up.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #17455
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

The Striker installation uptade, the saga continue . I never was able to get any reading (mph) when installing that sucker (the sensor) on the caliper, i tried everything, nada. So my buddy send me a photo of his mod regarding mounting that sensor. So i finally got it right and worked great after a test ride (accurate reading with gps comparison).
I got $1.59 L shape bracket from Ace Hardware, mounted the sensor on it and hold it down with 12mm bolt that hold the axle.

I measure the exact distance sensor to rotor with digi-caliper (used the depth gauge) at 4.5mm is the sweet spot.

and wrote down on sensor (just in case).

I got my new cokpit look for now until i get bored again and start adding other stuff to it...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #17456
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
The Striker installation uptade, the saga continue . I never was able to get any reading (mph) when installing that sucker (the sensor) on the caliper, i tried everything, nada. So my buddy send me a photo of his mod regarding mounting that sensor. So i finally got it right and worked great after a test ride (accurate reading with gps comparison).
I got $1.59 L shape bracket from Ace Hardware, mounted the sensor on it and hold it down with 12mm bolt that hold the axle.

I measure the exact distance sensor to rotor with digi-caliper (used the depth gauge) at 4.5mm is the sweet spot.

and wrote down on sensor (just in case).

I got my new cokpit look for now until i get bored again and start adding other stuff to it...
Hi Eddy, is that a 7 inch tablet you have used?, good idea for mounting the pickup
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #17457
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mister Fox View Post
I have a query reguarding the fan on the DRZ400, I have a ccm SR40 with a DRZ400E engine and I want to put a kick start on it. However the location of the fan on the Raditaor (from a DRZ400S) of the CCM means that the de compressor won't fit.

I have a couple of questions

1. For anyone on a DRZ 400 S or SM how often does the fan Kick in while you are riding and in what situation does it kick in?
2. For anyone with a DRZ 400E does any one have any horror stories due to the bike over heating in stop start traffic or on technical trails due to the bike not having a Fan on the raditaor??
3. For anyone with a DRZ 400 E do you need a decompressor to kick start the bike??
Personally I'd be inclined to ditch the kick start and keep the fan, the former can always be circumnavigated by a set a simple jump leads, especially if there are two of you, the latter however has the potential to really piss on your parade.
If battery failure is preying on your mind than buy a new battery, something like an odessy perhaps?
Plus as the batteries aren't exactly huge, how about just carrying a spare?, and with the extra room that it'll take up just share out the space with your riding buddy?
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #17458
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Personally I'd be inclined to ditch the kick start and keep the fan, the former can always be circumnavigated by a set a simple jump leads, especially if there are two of you, the latter however has the potential to really piss on your parade.
If battery failure is preying on your mind than buy a new battery, something like an odessy perhaps?
Plus as the batteries aren't exactly huge, how about just carrying a spare?, and with the extra room that it'll take up just share out the space with your riding buddy?
I can only assume you've picked up all the additional information about my situation from my post on ABR, as I made no reference to my "riding buddy" or exactly what I was doing with the upgrade on my post on this thread.

At no point in either thread have I asked for an alternative to a kick start I am just trying to find facts out about the DRZ 400 cooling system.

However anyone with common sense would see that I must of posted the same question here because I didn't get the facts I require over there, so why on earth would you just summarize what was posted over there rather than answer the actual questions I asked.

Fantastic Mister Fox screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 01:21 PM
Fantastic Mister Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #17459
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Hi Eddy, is that a 7 inch tablet you have used?
Yeah this use to be a logo for cigarette sign (they use it in smoke shops ). The bottum is plastic and as u see the top is plastic window. Between the tablet and mounting bracket i squeeze in another piece of metal (1' 1/4 by 4') to support that first one in case of a crash, which has been crash tested last year and passed the test. In the event of long ride I take precision notes (making it a road-book) and slide them under that plastic window and secure it with a clip on the side.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #17460
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Hi Eddy, is that a 7 inch tablet you have used?, good idea for mounting the pickup
No offence, but if people are going to quote something with photos, could they delete the less relevant ones so we aren't scrolling through the same slide show again?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote