Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #17461
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
No offence, but if people are going to quote something with photos, could they delete the less relevant ones so we aren't scrolling through the same slide show again?
No kidding. +1

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #17462
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mister Fox View Post
I can only assume you've picked up all the additional information about my situation from my post on ABR, as I made no reference to my "riding buddy" or exactly what I was doing with the upgrade on my post on this thread.

At no point in either thread have I asked for an alternative to a kick start I am just trying to find facts out about the DRZ 400 cooling system.

However anyone with common sense would see that I must of posted the same question here because I didn't get the facts I require over there, so why on earth would you just summarize what was posted over there rather than answer the actual questions I asked.
I've had my '02 E putting along behind my kids on 50s in the AZ desert and never had it get hot enough to put fluid into the overflow. Same when riding around town stop and go. The only time it's put some fluid in the overflow was after some brutal clutch slipping work, at a near dead stop, up a red oculus single track hill, for over 15 minutes, heat of the AZ summer. Not sure of your exact situation, but I would guess the fan is for a super lean stock S carb, jetted strictly for emissions. Properly jetted, I don't see the need for a fan. Just my opinion.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #17463
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Future DRZers

Took the DRZ out to chase my kids around the desert today.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #17464
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=DR650SEDDY;20737050]The Striker installation uptade, the saga continue . I never was able to get any reading (mph) when installing that sucker (the sensor) on the caliper, i tried everything, nada. So my buddy send me a photo of his mod regarding mounting that sensor. So i finally got it right and worked great after a test ride (accurate reading with gps comparison).
I got $1.59 L shape bracket from Ace Hardware, mounted the sensor on it and hold it down with 12mm bolt that hold the axle. ]

I'd be worried about peeling that setup off on a branch, rock, cactus etc, assuming I understand the pictures and it in front if the fork.
Psycho
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #17465
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
To Fantastic Mister Fox. There is a dude on the DRZ form named Eddie Oh'Dell who can inform you on much of this stuff.

http://drzforums.com/

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #17466
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post

I'd be worried about peeling that setup off on a branch, rock, cactus etc, assuming I understand the pictures and it in front if the fork.
Psycho
True that, i put back the disc guard after i filed a bit of it (top side where the cable pass through) hopefully it can still provide good amount of protection against the element. I'll let u know next week after a long Enduro ride from Lake Pleasant to Yarnell and Down to BuckHorn wash (via Wickenburg area). Join us if u can. Awsome pix with the family hey at leat they all ride Suzuki ...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #17467
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
True that, i put back the disc guard after i filed a bit of it (top side where the cable pass through) hopefully it can still provide good amount of protection against the element. I'll let u know next week after a long Enduro ride from Lake Pleasant to Yarnell and Down to BuckHorn wash (via Wickenburg area). Join us if u can. Awsome pix with the family hey at leat they all ride Suzuki ...
Could you PM me the details? I'd like to join in the ride if I'm not working.
Psycho
Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #17468
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Took the DRZ out to chase my kids around the desert today.
What a GREAT picture. I used to ride with my stepson and it wasnt long before he grew up and moved on to other things, but Im sure he'll be back on a bike someday. Enjoy those time as much as you can. Looks like you have a great riding area.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #17469
martin shaw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hey guys, ive just bought a drz 400e (2010) ive bought it ''blind'' not knowing anything about the bike appart from how everyone says they are reliable, this is my 1st offroad/enduro bike, ive been riding sports bikes for the last 8 years so im not new to riding a bike.
the bike is verry clean and has alot of extras on it, is there anything i should know that will make the bike more reliable or anything from standerd i need to change?

thank you martin.
martin shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #17470
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin shaw View Post
the bike is verry clean and has alot of extras on it, is there anything i should know that will make the bike more reliable or anything from standerd i need to change?

thank you martin.
Off-rd tires if needed. Replace those cheap handlebars asap if u have a stock ones. (engine guard & handguards assuming that we haven't seen ur ride). Good rear rack if ur into long rides. U might wanna change ur gearing if ur doing mostly off-rd riding. Get good protective gears AGATT. Congrats on ur ride, first thing u need to do is to get dirty cause that like a badge of honor for Enduro ridez...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #17471
martin shaw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hi, thank you for that, i should off told you about the extras, its got :
off road tyres,
skid pan/bash plate,
radiator guards,
hand guards,
full exhaust system,
steering damper,
full front suspension upgrade internals changed and pressure release on the forks, The rear spring replaced (all MPE a local motorcross suspension companie)
tripple clamps all machined alloy and bar risers,
its got the 3x3 hole in the airbox cut out so ill assume the jets been done..

the bars still seem to be original so i will chase some new ones up, i was looking at some pro taper? ones..

i took the bike out bush with a friend on his yeturday and i must say its the most fun ive ever had on 2 wheels! i must admit i found it hard and it will take abit getting use to but im going to keep at it :)
martin shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #17472
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from and the other post had the same effect on me. Your question didn't include anything concerning electrics or batteries.
People responding to a question often go off on their own tangent, voicing their own objections, biases, prejudices, etc... offering unsolicited advice on something unrelated... and you're no closer to what you wanted to know.
You need to guide the discussion in the direction that it needs to go. That might include responding to the posts which attempt to go directly to what you have asked and avoiding the addition of questions that are superfluous to the actual problem at hand. One problem at a time or the herd gets distracted.

This is not an in surmountable problem, but from your response it sounds like you're after a magical solution and that you need someone to hold your hand and guide you through. You'll have plenty more issues on a RTW trip and your inability to work your way through what appears to be a fairly simple problem in the comfort of your own home makes me question your competence or will (which counts for a lot more) to actually complete the task.
At no point did I ask for a solution for my problem, I was asking for owners to tell me their experiences so I could make my own informed decision as to whether the problem needed soving.

My comment was in direct objection to someone posting the exact information that was posted somewhere else (another forum) and didn't really give me the information I require (as i have explained over there). I deliberately rewrote the question when I posted here avoiding the information that was causing the post to go off topic.

Anyway this whole arguement is off topic.

Thanks to those who have posted, constructive feedback

At the moment I have 3 possible solutions as despite everyones objections I would rather keep the kickstart.

Try to see if the engine can be kicked over with out the decompression system, however with a compression ratio of 12.2:1 this may not be feasible.

Install a warning light on the the fan circuit so in the event that the engine gets hot enough to engage the fan we're aware of this and we can allow the engine to cool. However by killing the engine when it is hot we may stop coolant circulating around the engine.

Install a slim line fan, Dirt ticks make one for a KTM that should be easy enough to mod so it works on the CCM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #17473
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
runnin' tubeless?

Hey, I "m thinking about sealing my spokes(Cyborg style) and running my rear tire tubeless. Are there any 120/80-18's that are tubeless rated. I've been looking around and the vendor & manufacture's sights don't seem to give this info. Some say TT or TL but most say nothing. Have any of you done this and can you shead any light on it for me?

Thanks, Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #17474
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

Try to see if the engine can be kicked over with out the decompression system, however with a compression ratio of 12.2:1 this may not
I installed kickstart on mine and am glad to have it. Didn't install the decompressor, it is a stiff kick, but doable.
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #17475
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
... asking for owners to tell me their experiences so I could make my own informed decision...
DRZ400S. To fit an Acerbis tank, the fan was removed by the previous owner. I removed the thermostat valve. I have a Trailtech vapor, so I know when it's getting overheated before it boils over. The wife's DRZ-S still has the fan. Riding technical single track, climbing, in warm weather, at slow speeds, with a tail wind, at very prolonged high speeds, my bike starts to overheat. She doesn't have the trailtech vapor, so hers may start to overheat also, but when her fan kicks in her bike has never boiled over. If I don't stop and let my bike cool down I have no doubt it would boil over. Both bikes carry light camping gear and luggage for extended touring. Both bikes have the 3X3 mod, and are jetted identically, targeting 5000ft elevation. As our next trip will be in the desert SW, I've had a couple of these fans installed on my bike (zip-tied one on each rad) wired to a switch. Now, when my yellow overheat warning light goes on, I can flip the switch and turn on the fans.

I'm sure you've found the same threads I did which describe the fan mod, if not, here are some links:

Example installed on left, behind rad, no guard it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40249204@N08/4494663582
Install on an E with Unibikers: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/564505-pc-fan-install-pics-eunibikers/
Another one: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/564505-pc-fan-install-pics-eunibikers/page__st__20 No guard, two on the left rad: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/814090-radiator-fan-on-drz400e/ Good photos, fan in front between the guard and the rad: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/785311-fan-on-drz400s/

As I have yet to ride the bike with the fans installed, I can't say that this will fix the occasional overheating issue, but I can say for certain that I've had to stop on several occasions over the last 30K of off-road miles to let the bike cool down.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:05 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote