Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #17521
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Not really they have variety out there of dot approved tire of different sizes 80/100-21 and 90/100-21. like this one : Pirelli MXMH provide with both sizes
or this one: Pirelli MXH
They are both DOT. Also Kenda Parker DT have them DOT in both sizes (80/100-21 & 90/100-21) the 90/100-21 is a bad ass tire (Kenda Parker) it worked great in mud, sand or loose gravel.

I couldn't really tell what Inroads was concerned about as all these tires fit a DRZ just fine as you indicate. Lots of room up there to mount any of them. Perhaps he believes that he needs the exact same size that the factory put on.He doesn't as we know.Lots of choices.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #17522
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Could you guys tell me if I am ok with a 2.75x21 front tire or should I be running a 3.00-21?
my manual says 80/100-21.
Try this one it's an agressive Enduro tire and dot as well.
http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_proddetails.asp?prodID=137
I got the Tractionator 120/90-18 ready to be on soon as burn the hell out my Maxxis desert I/T.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #17523
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Great trail ride yesterday,

was really nice out

Then i dropped it...

Must of been all the budweiser :)

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #17524
MuddySump
Adventurer

Changed my fork oil at the weekend, made a 'how to' video of it, hope it can help people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZwpWQQ01aQ

Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #17525
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddySump View Post
Changed my fork oil at the weekend, made a 'how to' video of it, hope it can help people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZwpWQQ01aQ
Thank you for taking the time to do your video, well done,easy to follow and informative.
On your other you tube video about your new camera I was impressed with the sound quality, what setup as far as the mic goes do you have, it was very clear with very little wind noise.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #17526
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
I'm not sure how good this picture is going to show up... I guess how big it will be but here it is. You can see how the left one has a groove in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #17527
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
I'm not sure how good this picture is going to show up... I guess how big it will be but here it is. You can see how the left one has a groove in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Well, it looks like the one valve was a bit more than .004" out! I hope there wasn't another decimal on the bill behind the valve! Thanks for the pic.
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #17528
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
How many different ways can you say that if a valve adjustment is required the valves are fucked? This is sounding like TT hysteria... quick send your head and $$$ to Headdie whatshisface.... or the world will end horribly!

Yours were damaged... TOCs valves are quite possibly stuffed too due to being run out of spec for FKHL... but the blanket application of your experience is misleading.

For others the valves might just be due for an adjustment. From my experience this seems to come due at around 30,000km.
There is a small amount of seat erosion which will account for a tightening of clearances where the seats are wearing faster than the tappets - situation normal. This does not mean that the valves are spent.
Good to see some humour
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #17529
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
If you want to put a DOT tire on it you are pretty much stuck with a 90/90 X21. A 3.00 is very similar in circ. They come with an 80/100 but that circ varies a lot depending on whether an E or S type tire. The Deathwings are tiny in circ. Either way your speedo/odo combo will be off about 10% anyway(optimistic).
Isn't the odometer able to be calibrated to remedy this ?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #17530
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How many different ways can you say that if a valve adjustment is required the valves are fucked? This is sounding like TT hysteria... quick send your head and $$$ to Headdie whatshisface.... or the world will end horribly!

Yours were damaged... TOCs valves are quite possibly stuffed too due to being run out of spec for FKHL... but the blanket application of your experience is misleading.

For others the valves might just be due for an adjustment. From my experience this seems to come due at around 30,000km.
There is a small amount of seat erosion which will account for a tightening of clearances where the seats are wearing faster than the tappets - situation normal. This does not mean that the valves are spent.
The seat is harder than the valve. If the adjustment has gone so far out of spec as to cause starting problems then it's a good bet that the valve is worn.

Km just saying if it were my head I'd rebuild it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #17531
MuddySump
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Thank you for taking the time to do your video, well done,easy to follow and informative.
On your other you tube video about your new camera I was impressed with the sound quality, what setup as far as the mic goes do you have, it was very clear with very little wind noise.
Ive got an audio technica ATR3350 mic plugged into the camera and the mic piece in the front of the helmet mouth piece. the sound was awful without the external mic, even going slow all you hear is the windnoise. Makes the exhaust noise much better too.

If you look at my 1st vid, new tyres required, thats the internal mic.
bought the atr3350 straight after hearing that :)

Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #17532
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Recalibrated my roadie computer for wheel size, multiply by 2.5, divide by pie, add two something...

And it works ! Tracked todays commute with the phones gps to confirm the indicated speed on the bike speedometer. Looks like I'm 1% low, so ill recalibrate it again to set it 10% high, and give me some wiggle room from johnny law. :)

Offset for wheel calibration (stock trail wings) was 2163.3815mm. (Kind of a log)

I have enough room for my phone/gps/waterproof thing in the drz's old speedometer location. Brackets are silly easy. Prolly make a dash like mills to keep hands off of things.

some pics to compare gps to the wireless data. distance, average speed, and max/actual speed are very close. once it quits raining i'll take it up to 100 (or the limiter) for a few minutes to see how bad the deviance gets.

fun :)

GPS vs bicycle speedo comaprison:

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #17533
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Show us your chain tensioner. Typically if its adjusted all the way in, your chain is stretched too far and needs to be replaced. I'm no expert but its very hard to tell from pics of the cams.
Just had a look the ACCT, It's all the way in! I guess that explains the noise! The round nubby bit at the end of the arm had a shallow wear mark in it, should I consider replacing the chain guide as well?

Since it's pinned in place, I was thinking I could just machine a longer nub for now to get some tension back!
I know, Probably not a good Idea stretching the chain even further...

It looks like I might take this one to a mechanic. Not too sureI want to attempt a cam chain swap in one weekend...I've heard horror stories about people breaking off clutch baskets when they didn't have the proper tool! At least I could get the valves adjusted at the same time.... $$$ but less hassle
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #17534
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
DR-Z specific source?

We've done a little work with Co-Cr face welded valves so out of necessity have some idea of seat (and OEM valve) composition and characteristics in these engines... and the results might surprise you.

Your comments have not been exclusive to TOC's head... The problem is that any time something is said you repeat yourself as if you're trying to force the point and you're generalising to the point that the novice is going to be thinking that when the valves are out of spec they automatically require replacement... which is simply not true.

PS. The longer explanation with more information was hosed by login and I'll be buggered if I am going to retype it.
For everyone's sake I hope he adjusts the valves so we can see the outcome first hand. He said it was his daily driver right? If so we should see the results in a week or two.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #17535
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

There she be, the fully extended yet still functioning ACCT.

IMG_0973

I have to ask, does anyone know how far the MCCT's reach is or how far is safe?? I joked earlier about making a longer contact piece for the end of my ACCT to get a few more miles out of the chain, but if it's actually feasible to do that, I would in a flash!

IMG_0974

There's the wear mark I spoke of earlier. Normal?

IMG_0978