Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #17536
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Some front wheel spacers I made on break the other night : The old fashioned way, not CNC! I made them out of 316 stainless. Made some rear ones last winter, they're still doing real well!

Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #17537
dante_alighieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hi guys!

Only a shoot of a new (for me) DRZ S

In Spain, last weekend
:p
using tapatalk!

dante_alighieri screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:15 AM
dante_alighieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #17538
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
There she be, the fully extended yet still functioning ACCT.

I have to ask, does anyone know how far the MCCT's reach is or how far is safe?? I joked earlier about making a longer contact piece for the end of my ACCT to get a few more miles out of the chain, but if it's actually feasible to do that, I would in a flash!

There's the wear mark I spoke of earlier. Normal?
Okay just to check, make sure things are cool. How did you restrain the acct when you removed it? Because it extends on removal. did you refit it to ensure it was in fact fully extended when installed?

The wear mark doesn't look too wearish to me. There would be a colour difference between the worn area and the nub. Also it would require the internal chain guide to be waaay worn which would be very surprising to see it worn completely through. Or at least I would be surprised, my 30K engine didn't get a new one to my knowledge when it was rebuilt.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #17539
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
For everyone's sake I hope he adjusts the valves so we can see the outcome first hand. He said it was his daily driver right? If so we should see the results in a week or two.
Basically wishing for another inmate's ride to explode so you can say "I told you so" is in pretty bad taste.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #17540
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post
Okay just to check, make sure things are cool. How did you restrain the acct when you removed it? Because it extends on removal. did you refit it to ensure it was in fact fully extended when installed?

The wear mark doesn't look too wearish to me. There would be a colour difference between the worn area and the nub.
I pulled out the spring before removing the body, so it was definitely all the way in. re-installed, and zzzip, all the way in!

BTW, the nub was almost mirror polished when I pulled it out, I wanted to see how hard the material was, so I lightly scratched it with a file, then scotch-brited it out, hence the dullish look. I did that to see if it was practical to make a new, longer tip or not...The groove looked about the same.

I have a hunch there are people out there who have their MCCT's adjusted further out than the ACCT will allow, yes no?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #17541
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Basically wishing for another inmate's ride to explode so you can say "I told you so" is in pretty bad taste.
Kinda taking it to the extreme aren't ya? More like spend a few hours tearing the bike down to adjust the valves and them having to do it all over again a few weeks later to take the head off.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #17542
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Kinda taking it to the extreme aren't ya?
You mean like telling folks that the valves can't/shouldn't be adjusted, just go ahead and rebuild the head? Kettle, meet Cauldron.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #17543
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 12:19 PM
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #17544
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
You mean like telling folks that the valves can't/shouldn't be adjusted, just go ahead and rebuild the head? Kettle, meet Cauldron.
I'm saying that if the valves have come so far our of adjustment that you ate having starting problems that you are to late... plain and simple. I have not heard a single person post up yet that they have had the v valves tighten up to the point where the bike was hard to start and adjusting the valves was the fix.

I have been through this myself , I adjusted only to need to adjust again after one ride.

From what the owner said he had limited experience working on bikes and he might have to take it in and pay to have it repaired. From what I also understood it was his daily driver. So I take it his only option was to learn how to adjust his own valves...which could take a novice more than a weekend. I'm sure he also doesnt want to pay to have the job done twice. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself again... If it were my bike I'd rebuild the head.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #17545
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:

From what the owner said he had limited experience working on bikes and he might have to take it in and pay to have it repaired. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself again... If it were my bike I'd rebuild the head.

I said I'm probably going to get someone to switch the cam chain and do the valve adjust at the same time for one thing, because I don't have a clutch basket tool, not because I think it's above my abilities! I'm sure It wouldn't take me the whole weekend to adjust my valves!

Thanks for the advice, do you have any spare parts to donate to my cause?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #17546
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
How long is yours

sidestand that is? Just picked up a new to me DR Z400E and the side stand seems way too short. I did the search thing here and on Google and did not find the answer. I realize that when you lower one of these bikes you will need a shorter stand, but this stand is suppose to be stock. Thanks in advance for the help.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #17547
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
sidestand that is? Just picked up a new to me DR Z400E and the side stand seems way too short. I did the search thing here and on Google and did not find the answer. I realize that when you lower one of these bikes you will need a shorter stand, but this stand is suppose to be stock. Thanks in advance for the help.
E/S should be about 9.75" from lower spring catch to the foot; SM is about 9".
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #17548
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I said I'm probably going to get someone to switch the cam chain and do the valve adjust at the same time for one thing, because I don't have a clutch basket tool, not because I think it's above my abilities! I'm sure It wouldn't take me the whole weekend to adjust my valves!

Thanks for the advice, do you have any spare parts to donate to my cause?
Sorry in all the hoopla I forgot who originally posted in the first place.

When I took mine apart I used a impact gun to get the clutch basket nut off. Beer careful when putting there basket back on not to damage the plastic oil pump gear. Honestly I'd change that gear while in there to for peace of mind.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #17549
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
I had this horrible loud noise coming from the engines top at exactly 6k+ RMPS and 63-66MPH, it started recently and was driving me nuts, i checked all sorts of things to make sure stuff was not loose, all was good,

Today i instaled the ThumperTalk MCCT and then took it for a spin, I WAS SO DAMN HAPPY THAT THE NOISE WAS NOW... GONE!!

It was always there before, i would have to rev up or let off the throttle to make it go away, any faster then 66mph it would go away, and any slower then 63mph it would go away, but right between 63-66 it sounded like a screaming 2 stroke in the head, the bike would always run great, but that noise was really starting to worry me alot.

Really glad i put this thing on, noise is gone, and all is great.

TDC

old and new

and on the bike, took about a hour+, not bad, was my first time opening up the head

Really glad that loud clatter/screeching noise is now completely gone, bike runs great, just out of curiosity, what does this plug look like to you inmates?

If you have not done the MCCT yet, look into it, the stockers spring is very strong imo, glad i finally did this.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #17550
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Really glad that loud clatter/screeching noise is now completely gone, bike runs great, just out of curiosity, what does this plug look like to you inmates?

If you have not done the MCCT yet, look into it, the stockers spring is very strong imo, glad i finally did this.
Looks upside down, kinda silver with some white on the end. hehe

I'd run it. Perhaps slightly lean, but not enough to worry about, IMO.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote