ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #17641
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Kandiyohi County, Minnesota
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Theyre plastic for a reason, or do you honestly think suzuki just got lazy and said, hey lets just make some of the gears plastic.
Fyi its not a load bearing gear, it just spins a pump.
If the pump fails it breaks a plastic gear, if the pump fails (or the gear fails)and the plastic gear dosent break you wont know it until your engine seizes. But good luck with your revelation...

Head on over to thumpertalk youll make billions and that will be the latest and greatest "must do, or babies will spontaneously combust" fixe.
And, you KLR guys, better get a new 'doohickey' and a ThermoBob, or you're doomed. Doomed, I say.

:-)

Jon
__________________
Hey - if it ain't an adventure, it's just a ride!

'04 KLR 650
'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #17642
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coarsegoldkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Oddometer: 360
I'm getting around to changing the countershaft sprocket on my '05 DRZ that's been in my possession for 10 months. Yes the sprocket was toast so the bike gets a new chain and rear sprocket also. The nut that holds the countershaft sprocket on came off using only my fingers. The Clymer manual specs out the torque at 81 lbs ft. That's a lot of torque. My good friend tells me the Suzuki manual specs out the torque at 105 lbs ft. Holy cow that's really a lot of torque. What amount of torque have you fellas been using?
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #17643
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd
 
fifthcircle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Knee deep in diapers, Nebraska.
Oddometer: 5,172
That's hard to explain...cuz I just make it tight and ride with wreck less abandon. Ignorance is bliss!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #17644
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Nunn
Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
I'm getting around to changing the countershaft sprocket on my '05 DRZ that's been in my possession for 10 months. Yes the sprocket was toast so the bike gets a new chain and rear sprocket also. The nut that holds the countershaft sprocket on came off using only my fingers. The Clymer manual specs out the torque at 81 lbs ft. That's a lot of torque. My good friend tells me the Suzuki manual specs out the torque at 105 lbs ft. Holy cow that's really a lot of torque. What amount of torque have you fellas been using?
I always thought it was 90. That's what I always torque mine to.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #17645
oldmanb777
Just say NO to socialism!
 
oldmanb777's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Centennial,Co./ Grand Lake,Co
Oddometer: 3,410
Chain & sprockets

I need a new chain. About 8K on the OEM's, almost all dirt miles. Mine is an "S" and came with the horiible 15-44 sprockets. I treid a 12 for a while, but with the close ratio gearbox, that didn't work. So i have been running a 13-44 setup. So now its time for a new chain. So I'm thinking of a 14-49 might be a good all around gearing for my 95% dirt riding. Will the stock length chain work with those sprockets? Anyone got a good deal on sprockets and chain recently?
oldmanb777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #17646
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Theyre plastic for a reason, or do you honestly think suzuki just got lazy and said, hey lets just make some of the gears plastic.
Fyi its not a load bearing gear, it just spins a pump.
If the pump fails it breaks a plastic gear, if the pump fails (or the gear fails)and the plastic gear dosent break you wont know it until your engine seizes. But good luck with your revelation...

Head on over to thumpertalk youll make billions and that will be the latest and greatest "must do, or babies will spontaneously combust" fixe.
I'd like to know why you think putting a metal one in there would hurt. I'm not trying to argue, just wondering. I have heard that the oil pump gear turns out like this because when a repair is done caution isn't used to make Sure the gears line up before torquing down.... The clutch basket I think it was..... Not sure. I did my cam chain and tjhe lock tight mods about 20,000 miles ago and all is good so far.

I do have a new plastic gear here in case I ever have to go back in for any repairs. I like the idea of a metal one. It my understanding that Suzuki just used a plastic gear to save money cause the gear never really saw any hard force on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
Buell 2005 XB9SX
2006 Buell Ulysses
2003 KLX400R tagged <---- Sold!
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #17647
59DEN
Studly Adventurer
 
59DEN's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Oddometer: 698
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
I'd like to know why you think putting a metal one in there would hurt. I'm not trying to argue, just wondering. I have heard that the oil pump gear turns out like this because when a repair is done caution isn't used to make Sure the gears line up before torquing down.... The clutch basket I think it was..... Not sure. I did my cam chain and tjhe lock tight mods about 20,000 miles ago and all is good so far.

I do have a new plastic gear here in case I ever have to go back in for any repairs. I like the idea of a metal one. It my understanding that Suzuki just used a plastic gear to save money cause the gear never really saw any hard force on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I would be interested to know as well,
Cheers
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #17648
threadkiller
Beastly Adventurer
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White House, Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanb777 View Post
I need a new chain. About 8K on the OEM's, almost all dirt miles. Mine is an "S" and came with the horiible 15-44 sprockets. I treid a 12 for a while, but with the close ratio gearbox, that didn't work. So i have been running a 13-44 setup. So now its time for a new chain. So I'm thinking of a 14-49 might be a good all around gearing for my 95% dirt riding. Will the stock length chain work with those sprockets? Anyone got a good deal on sprockets and chain recently?
14-49 will work with a 112 link chain. If your dirt riding is tight single-track, then that combo will work well. But if you want to spend much time at 55 mph or more, you'll probably wish you had 14-47.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #17649
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SquadraCorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Johnston RI
Oddometer: 126
Spring is in the air and the bike is almost finished. Too bad I don't want to get it dirty now....







__________________
2013 RallyMoto Overall/Dakar Champ

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
Ducati 900ss | KLX 400 | RD 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #17650
focallength
Classicaly trained
 
focallength's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Laffin at yer mule
Oddometer: 4,007
Theyre designed to be a "weak" link, I use the term weak loosely as they are very strong. how it was explained to me is that if the pump fails the plastic gear will fail thus saving the engine. Which is most likely what happened in that engine, except the rider didnt notice the engine overheating. Theres one on the water and oil pump, its sort of like a blow off valve. If the pump goes bad, the plastic gear may save the engine.
lots of bikes, have plastic pump gears for the water and oil pumps. iirc more have them than do not.
i questioned it, with my tear down, so I asked around, I asked several very knowledgable motorcycle professionals. WORCS bikes, custom one off rally bikes, bikes designed to be ridden WFO for thousands of miles,run plastic pump gears.
do as you will.
__________________
Stop screaming...I'm scared too.

focallength screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 06:47 AM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #17651
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer
 
bobfab's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Westminster CO
Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadraCorse View Post
Spring is in the air and the bike is almost finished. Too bad I don't want to get it dirty now....

Wow, graphics look great. As does the use of the T-bolts for the headlight mount, very clever!
__________________
Project Labor of Love: 1972 CT90 Rebuild
Current Stable: VFR800 | CRF250L | KTM200SX
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #17652
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Kandiyohi County, Minnesota
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Theyre designed to be a "weak" link, I use the term weak loosely as they are very strong. how it was explained to me is that if the pump fails the plastic gear will fail thus saving the engine. Which is most likely what happened in that engine, except the rider didnt notice the engine overheating. Theres one on the water and oil pump, its sort of like a blow off valve. If the pump goes bad, the plastic gear may save the engine.
lots of bikes, have plastic pump gears for the water and oil pumps. iirc more have them than do not.
i questioned it, with my tear down, so I asked around, I asked several very knowledgable motorcycle professionals. WORCS bikes, custom one off rally bikes, bikes designed to be ridden WFO for thousands of miles,run plastic pump gears.
do as you will.
Yabbut... If the gear fails, how will I know? Won't the first indication be that the engine seizes tight, and my piston looks like the one in the earlier post?

I don't have any indication of low/no oil pressure.

Jon
__________________
Hey - if it ain't an adventure, it's just a ride!

'04 KLR 650
'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #17653
bikeslut
adventurous stud
 
bikeslut's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Alpine-where the twisty roads start
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
14-49 will work with a 112 link chain. If your dirt riding is tight single-track, then that combo will work well. But if you want to spend much time at 55 mph or more, you'll probably wish you had 14-47.
agreed... I'm running 15-49, and it runs 60 (speedo indicated; more like 54) ok for a while
__________________
you're asking HERE?!
bikeslut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #17654
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'dan View Post
I agree but it seems every parts source only sells them as a set. The o-ring should be easy to find. Do you know where to get just the needle?
What is the needle's OD and length?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #17655
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'dan View Post
I agree but it seems every parts source only sells them as a set. The o-ring should be easy to find. Do you know where to get just the needle?
Before asking for needle dimensions, I should have said that there's no need to replace the needle unless the tip has a witness line where it's been contacting the seat.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014