ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #1756
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MOTARDJUNKIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
You guessed it!

I got my DRZ finally sorted out (jetting & so forth) and took it for it's first serious dual-sporting today...rode with a gang of Ohio guys and logged 140 miles of trails & backroads, including some wicked mud & ruts, quad trails, hills, rocks, down logs, pretty much the gamut of eastern terrain was encountered today.

I'm very impressed so far, even tho my bike is 90% stock, it performed admirably and handled all the terrain I put it through. Really had a great time on it.

I still need to find a good tire, it's on its Deathwings and although I find them much better than their reputation, they're obviously awful in the slop...had to air them down to about 8 psi to get through the soupy stuff. I think I'll try the Shinko 244's on it, they were nice on my XRL for a cheap tire they did really well.
Sounds like the terrain here in HI only this dirt is red. Weird I know.

As for the tire, I like my MT21s very very well. I buddy runs the DUNLOP 606s on his CRF250X and when he starts spinning I keep going. Thats at 20 psi for me and 11 for him also. Just my observation and some may disagree. I have no knowledge of the tire you mentioned.

G/L

Dave
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
Adventure begins when your plan goes to shit.
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #1757
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
Sounds like the terrain here in HI only this dirt is red. Weird I know.

As for the tire, I like my MT21s very very well. I buddy runs the DUNLOP 606s on his CRF250X and when he starts spinning I keep going. Thats at 20 psi for me and 11 for him also. Just my observation and some may disagree. I have no knowledge of the tire you mentioned.

G/L

Dave
Dave,

There's red dirt in western OR but not as red as HI.

On tires, everybody has different experiences. I've heard that 606's are the best from one guy, MT21's are best from another. My advice is just try as many different ones as your budget will allow. I got some used tires in trade for welding work: a Maxxis Desert IT rear, a Kenda 776 front, a TKC80 front and a set of 606's. I got these from three different guys. So far, the 606's are still waiting their turn, the Kenda and TKC80 are done and the Maxxis is still hanging on although it's almost done. The TKC worked better than I thought it would offroad and was great on pavement. The Kenda wore out too quick on slab but it was only 40% when I got it. It also wouldn't corner worth beans on pavement. The Maxxis was about 50% when it went on and has lasted probably 1000 miles of mostly pavement. The lugs are less than 1/4" tall but nice and square so it still does ok in dirt. Why would I take used tires in trade for welding work? Because I knew I would be commuting on the bike a lot this summer and didn't want to buy new tires. Over 4k and counting since May. I did buy a lightly used Maxxis IT front for $30 from another inmate and its doing well so far. These were little welding jobs too, like a couple cases of beer stuff but I don't drink so... used tires seemed like a fair deal and my friends got to clean out their garages a little.
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #1758
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MOTARDJUNKIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Dave,

There's red dirt in western OR but not as red as HI.

On tires, everybody has different experiences. I've heard that 606's are the best from one guy, MT21's are best from another. My advice is just try as many different ones as your budget will allow. I got some used tires in trade for welding work: a Maxxis Desert IT rear, a Kenda 776 front, a TKC80 front and a set of 606's. I got these from three different guys. So far, the 606's are still waiting their turn, the Kenda and TKC80 are done and the Maxxis is still hanging on although it's almost done. The TKC worked better than I thought it would offroad and was great on pavement. The Kenda wore out too quick on slab but it was only 40% when I got it. It also wouldn't corner worth beans on pavement. The Maxxis was about 50% when it went on and has lasted probably 1000 miles of mostly pavement. The lugs are less than 1/4" tall but nice and square so it still does ok in dirt. Why would I take used tires in trade for welding work? Because I knew I would be commuting on the bike a lot this summer and didn't want to buy new tires. Over 4k and counting since May. I did buy a lightly used Maxxis IT front for $30 from another inmate and its doing well so far. These were little welding jobs too, like a couple cases of beer stuff but I don't drink so... used tires seemed like a fair deal and my friends got to clean out their garages a little.
I plan on trying the TKC next. The dirt here is like power and very loose so we will see how that goes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
Adventure begins when your plan goes to shit.
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #1759
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
No posts for an entire day?? Everyone must be riding.
Well, since buying my DRZ a month or so ago, I've been commuting on it and added TKCs, a 4mm alu bashplate, had the carbs cleaned, float set, and an inline filter fitted. It's running really well.

At the weekend I'm going trail riding in the Peak District here in the UK, with the super tenere owners club. Forecast is snow .

I'll post some pics and impressions on Sunday night - if I've thawed out
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #1760
Drizzt
Ranger
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson AZ
Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
I just read your thread on TT. Im more of a dirt guy too but I still wanna try some SM.
I'm a dirt guy too, and I'm not a supermoto guy in anyway but it was still fun. Alas, I'm a poor high schooler going to college so I can't get good tires or a second bike for supermoto. I'de much rather have dirt-ability and tour ability myself for now!

Or at least in four months. I'm going to post pics of my perfect bike then
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400S

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #1761
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MOTARDJUNKIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Well, since buying my DRZ a month or so ago, I've been commuting on it and added TKCs, a 4mm alu bashplate, had the carbs cleaned, float set, and an inline filter fitted. It's running really well.

At the weekend I'm going trail riding in the Peak District here in the UK, with the super tenere owners club. Forecast is snow .

I'll post some pics and impressions on Sunday night - if I've thawed out
SNow sounds FUN!! Im living in Hawaii right now so the only snow Ill see is afghanastan next year. But have fun and be sure to post those pics. I want to come to England so bad but I just cant afford it right now. Maybe some day when I get more cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
I'm a dirt guy too, and I'm not a supermoto guy in anyway but it was still fun. Alas, I'm a poor high schooler going to college so I can't get good tires or a second bike for supermoto. I'de much rather have dirt-ability and tour ability myself for now!

Or at least in four months. I'm going to post pics of my perfect bike then
I cant really afford 2 bikes right now either so Im like you in that aspect. I would rather ride dirt. More places to ride legally and safely IMO. Stick with it man you will get it. After my next deployment Im buying a KTM 300 XC for the dirt some Supermoto wheels and tires for DR-Z for commuting and pavement fun. Have fun and be safe. WHats your major?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
Adventure begins when your plan goes to shit.
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #1762
mikeyweaves
Newbie!
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Oddometer: 9
Hi All!

I've been lurking for a few months now but have just taken delivery of a 2008 DRZ400SM so thought it was about time I registered!

Here's my new bike with 0 miles -



Its got 400-odd road miles on the clock now so is nearly run-in and ready for its first service. After that, I'm going to remove all the unwanted crap and start modifying!!!

Anyhow, thanks for looking and thanks to all for continued motivation and inspiration!!

Mike
mikeyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #1763
Drizzt
Ranger
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson AZ
Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTARDJUNKIE
I cant really afford 2 bikes right now either so Im like you in that aspect. I would rather ride dirt. More places to ride legally and safely IMO. Stick with it man you will get it. After my next deployment Im buying a KTM 300 XC for the dirt some Supermoto wheels and tires for DR-Z for commuting and pavement fun. Have fun and be safe. WHats your major?
Thanks, I try to be safe (especially in the dirt riding alone!). I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering either in Northern Arizona University or the Universisty of Arizona, right now I'm leaning towards NAU, but it gets below freezing there, and it snows! I'm a desert guy, so I'm not sure what I think about the cold weather; but the area is awesome, an hour in any direction and it's completely different riding!
Good luck with the other bike, should be fun for the dirt. The drz is great for the street, as long as you're not trying to be keep up with real supermoto bikes on a track
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400S

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #1764
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr
 
Dr.Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 9,693
I love the versatility of the DRZ. Why, I even used mine to tow a BMW GS!

__________________
Stay half-assed, my friends. -- Mike West

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #1765
tathambenjamin
Studly Adventurer
 
tathambenjamin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Dekalb, IL
Oddometer: 564
ha

If you want to generate an impressive flurry of rapid agitated comments you could run over to the Gspot forum and post that pic with a snide comment of some sort......

Pretty funny.
__________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

-HST
tathambenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #1766
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr
 
Dr.Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathambenjamin
If you want to generate an impressive flurry of rapid agitated comments you could run over to the Gspot forum and post that pic with a snide comment of some sort......

Pretty funny.
Done!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401117
__________________
Stay half-assed, my friends. -- Mike West

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #1767
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
You guessed it!

I got my DRZ finally sorted out (jetting & so forth) and took it for it's first serious dual-sporting today...rode with a gang of Ohio guys and logged 140 miles of trails & backroads, including some wicked mud & ruts, quad trails, hills, rocks, down logs, pretty much the gamut of eastern terrain was encountered today.

I'm very impressed so far, even tho my bike is 90% stock, it performed admirably and handled all the terrain I put it through. Really had a great time on it.

I still need to find a good tire, it's on its Deathwings and although I find them much better than their reputation, they're obviously awful in the slop...had to air them down to about 8 psi to get through the soupy stuff. I think I'll try the Shinko 244's on it, they were nice on my XRL for a cheap tire they did really well.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the new bike. I can highly recommend the Kenda Trackmaster rear if you are doing mostly trails and dirt. If you commute or ride a lot of pavement, then the Kenda K270 rear is a great compromise, and last longer than the Trackmaster. I've ridden my DRZ all year with the K270 rear (pics below). The Shinko 244 looks like a knock-off of the K270. The K270 front really sucks, and I'm not a huge fan of the Trackmaster front either (although it's not horrible). I prefer a more aggressive front tire for traction while descending the steep hills around here, like the Pirelli MT-44 or the Scorpion Pro, or the Kenda 776 or 777.

Some of my pics from recent Ohio DS rides:






__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #1768
AdventureGirl
AG
 
AdventureGirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 98
To Alaska on a DRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklr
I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my DRZ400s last trip. I rode the bike to death by riding 1800 miles in 48 hours. Engine gave out, and although I have not made the autopsy yet, I know the engine is beyong recovery by the amount of metal shaving I found clogging my oil filter. Trip was a blast, from Wisconsin to Great smokie mountains national park in north carolina. This was my test ride to prepare for my Alaska trip next year, but no more trip on a DRZ. I am thinking now a KLR or a Versys instead. Eventually I will buy another DRZ, but was very dissapointed at its early death at 10K milles.
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Sure would like to hear what you think broke.

I took mine to Alaska last June. 5K miles round trip in two weeks with no problems. I found the DRZ to be an outstanding bike for all the back roads in BC!



I had set it up with 15/47 gears and kept it under 70MPH.
Plan on taking it to AK for the northern part next summer.
The only think I ate was my chain. By the time I got home it was toast. Due mainly to not cleaning it and doing a whole lot a dirt!

Adventure Girl..
AdventureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #1769
mcgovski
Adventurer
 
mcgovski's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: durango, co
Oddometer: 82
screen

adventure girl
tell me about the screen on your drz 400
It looks good. I am buying the wife an 05 drz 400 this weekend and I am looking to trick it out

mcgov
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #1770
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureGirl
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Sure would like to hear what you think broke.

I took mine to Alaska last June. 5K miles round trip in two weeks with no problems. I found the DRZ to be an outstanding bike for all the back roads in BC!



I had set it up with 15/47 gears and kept it under 70MPH.
Plan on taking it to AK for the northern part next summer.
The only think I ate was my chain. By the time I got home it was toast. Due mainly to not cleaning it and doing a whole lot a dirt!

Adventure Girl..
I run 15/47 as well. I think it's the best of all the compromise gearings. My KLX400 is the offroad model so it came 14/47. Switching the front sprocket was easier IMO. My new Muzzy exhaust system seems to spread out the gears even more.
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014