Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #17686
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Bought a 2001 DRZ last fall and have it stripped down for inspection and some minor repairs.

I replaced the front wheel bearings and one seal. Was wondering if there should be two seals. The kit came with two, but there was only one on the bike when I tore it down. Does the speedo pick up casing act as the second seal? Can I pack it with grease or ????

Also, the rear suspension seems a bit soft. I weigh about 210 in street clothes. The spanner nuts seem to be about 1/2 way down the threads. Since I am not familiar with these shocks and I get timid around compressed nitrogen I was wondering how they work. I see there are different screws and settings, a Schrader valve and other assorted nick nacks. Tried to search the thread, but did not come up with anything of relevance, probably used the wrong key words. What is the proper way to check and adjust the rear suspension?

Any advice on either of these subjects would be appreciated.

BKWags
I believe the speedo drive side has a sealed bearing and doesn't need a separate seal.

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
BMW R1100S Light | KLX 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #17687
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadraCorse View Post
I believe the speedo drive side has a sealed bearing and doesn't need a separate seal.

This is correct. Speedo drive unit is the seal AND the r/s spacer. Pack with grease before assembly and be careful how you put it in there.

In terms of the rear shock..... Your rear spring is too soft stock. It is a 4.6 Kg/mm and needs to be a 5.7. Sag at 4.25 to 4.5 in. Start clickers at 11 turns out. front spring for forks also likely too soft. Try a .52 kg/mm .
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #17688
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Springs and Shocks

Thanks for the note. Can you help me out with a good place to look for the heavier springs. I will be draining all the fluids, including the front shocks. No better time to make the change in my mind. Any idea on cost??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
This is correct. Speedo drive unit is the seal AND the r/s spacer. Pack with grease before assembly and be careful how you put it in there.

In terms of the rear shock..... Your rear spring is too soft stock. It is a 4.6 Kg/mm and needs to be a 5.7. Sag at 4.25 to 4.5 in. Start clickers at 11 turns out. front spring for forks also likely too soft. Try a .52 kg/mm .
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #17689
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Has anybody ever opened up the speedometer/computer that comes on the s/sm's? I'm thinking about getting in there and tapping into the buttons so I can make trip adjustments up or down on the fly. This will help when racing enduro's. I'm pretty sure that they are just momentary switches. I could use one of those nice switch mounts from Highway Dirtbike like this...

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #17690
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
Has anybody ever opened up the speedometer/computer that comes on the s/sm's? I'm thinking about getting in there and tapping into the buttons so I can make trip adjustments up or down on the fly. This will help when racing enduro's. I'm pretty sure that they are just momentary switches. I could use one of those nice switch mounts from Highway Dirtbike like this...

Been done - I remember reading about it on the net. Might have been Thumpertalk or here.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #17691
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Thanks for the note. Can you help me out with a good place to look for the heavier springs. I will be draining all the fluids, including the front shocks. No better time to make the change in my mind. Any idea on cost??
I bought my springs HERE
Scroll about 1/2 down. or just call Race Tech
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #17692
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:

First of all a disclaimer.... I am not an employee of RaceTech. With that said I like Theide's service. Fork springs are about $129/pr from him and the rear spring is $125. It is pretty easy to put them in. Try good fork oil of about 10 wt and buy 2 qts as they take about 24 oz. /side.
When you do the rear shock you will need a 7/8 in wrench to break the lower lock nut on the shaft while holding the heim in a vice. You will likely need a lever in addition to your 7/8 wrench as this big locknut is tight. It should be when you lock it back up also.Remember to back the lock rings off entirely on the top of the spring before dis-assembly as no pressure should be on it. After the spring is on take the preload rings back down until about 1 in. is showing of top threads. That will give you a good starting point on your sag setting.
While you have the shock and forks off it is also a good time to grease all the dogbone bearings, swingarm shaft, and steering head bearings since you are there anyway. Also check your wheel bearings. I like Yamaha marine grade grease for these bearings as it really resists water well. Sorry for long post........
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #17693
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
0.52kg/mm is too much for 95kg... more like 0.48 or 0.50 at the most...

Not according to RaceTech chart, or my experience with the .52 . You did catch that he weighs 220 #(gear also) right? Maybe gravity is different in Australia....or everyone sits down to ride on their bum so they like mushy suspension.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #17694
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
i won't be in the woods this weekend, i'll be at GYMKHANA !!!

http://bamarides.com/ride/events/mon...s-march-16th)/

free, open to the public, and a riot of tire killing fun.

come on out
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #17695
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
i won't be in the woods this weekend, i'll be at GYMKHANA !!!

http://bamarides.com/ride/events/mon...s-march-16th)/

free, open to the public, and a riot of tire killing fun.

come on out
I wish there was a gymkhana in Huntsville. B'ham is just too far for me. Bamarides.com is a fantastic site!
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #17696
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 729
is this a good deal??

Is this a good deal?? He'll take $5000.

2012 DRZ400S, 700 miles, Corbin seat $369, Moose rack $149, Cycra hand guards $110. Sounds pristine but no maintenance records and most likely no warranty. I found a new '12 for $5600 and then found this one. Just missed an '05 for $2800 and an '09 for $3500.

I would need to spend some money to get the suspension resprung for my fat arse and ergonomic stuff, bar risers etc and whatever performance mods. Then it will loose another grand in value in the next year just cuz but already has had the initial loss by the PO. Will it be worth $5000 for a like new "virgin" with a few farkles?
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #17697
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post

2012 DRZ400S, 700 miles?
From Kelley blue book : Suggested Retail Value
Excellent Condition$5,150
If he drop his price a little to make up for ur future upgrades then definitely is a great deal.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #17698
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post

2012 DRZ400S, 700 miles, Corbin seat $369, Moose rack $149, Cycra hand guards $110. Sounds pristine but no maintenance records and most likely no warranty. I found a new '12 for $5600 and then found this one. Just missed an '05 for $2800 and an '09 for $3500.
It's a reasonable deal. The upgrades are desirable and at 700 miles there is not much risk that the bike has been crashed or abused (but inspect it carefully anyway). The bike is just due now for its 600-mile service so the lack of maintenance records is to be expected and is immaterial. The one-year/unlimited-mile factory warranty is transferable, so it might still have some time on it. That would be a big plus and might swing the used value several hundred dollars +/-.

All this being said, you can probably get a brand new one for around $6K if you are willing to shop around.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #17699
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
It is well known that Racetech is off on the forks.

Aaah... From the land of bigger and better...

So you know more than Paul Thiede does now right?

Not only the land of bigger and better, but the home of the free.....we didn't surrender our guns to our government.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #17700
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So you know more than Paul Thiede does now right?

Not only the land of bigger and better, but the home of the free.....we didn't surrender our guns to our government.
And the the DRZ thread heads to CSM
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote