Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #17716
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
If Mr. Thede doesn't know that his company's online fork spring rate estimator often gives inappropriate recommendations, then 955616846 indeed knows more than he does in at least one instance.

Regards,

Derek

Never gives improper information.... You need to go faster to use those spring recommendations, that's all.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #17717
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
I weigh 218 lbs and run .58 fork springs and a 6.4 shock spring. No complaints and both sag measurements are correct.

Are you sure about that? I weigh about 10 lbs less and run 0.48 kg/mm fork springs and a 5.7 shock spring and my sag numbers are good. With your springs I can't imagine your suspension feeling right.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #17718
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Cool video, great place to ride.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #17719
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Never gives improper information.... You need to go faster to use those spring recommendations, that's all.
Incorrect. Laden and unladen sag targets are often not achievable with the on line recommendations. Recommendations are sometimes off by several steps in terms of available rates.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #17720
hobes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Good day Sport fans,

Any idea where I can get one of these die cast models?

Brick Top.

maybe the shipping is a little bit expensive

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Modell-15-Suz...item20ce273ccd

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MOTO-MINIATUR...item2ec1f5cf93
hobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #17721
N1SP
Roadwarrior

Oddometer: 43
Respoking a rear rim question

Hi folks,
A newbie to a DRZ400S. Bought it to do the western 1/2 of the TAT this coming summer since I had my ass handed to me on the first 1/2 on my R1150GS.
Long story short I'm re-spoking the rear wheel & the spokes coming out are either 195 or 200mm long. The Moose set I ordered are all 193mm long. Anyone ever use these? I'm concerned about enough grip between the spoke & nipple. They say, by # it's the correct set.
If you have any experience with this please shoot me an e-mail cebarritt@comcast.net
For some reason I never get a notice of a PM from this site.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #17722
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Are you sure about that? I weigh about 10 lbs less and run 0.48 kg/mm fork springs and a 5.7 shock spring and my sag numbers are good. With your springs I can't imagine your suspension feeling right.
I'm positive. I ordered the springs myself. Eddie Sisneros valved and installed the springs for me.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #17723
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SP View Post
Hi folks,
A newbie to a DRZ400S. Bought it to do the western 1/2 of the TAT this coming summer since I had my ass handed to me on the first 1/2 on my R1150GS.
Long story short I'm re-spoking the rear wheel & the spokes coming out are either 195 or 200mm long. The Moose set I ordered are all 193mm long. Anyone ever use these? I'm concerned about enough grip between the spoke & nipple. They say, by # it's the correct set.
If you have any experience with this please shoot me an e-mail cebarritt@comcast.net
For some reason I never get a notice of a PM from this site.
Thanks,
Chris

ask here..........http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #17724
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
New DRZ ... To me

Okay, I have done lots of work to my DR 650 and think it is the bomb now ... After learning from a few mistakes on how to best set it up. So, lets see if I can do a better job on the DRZ and get some suggestions. This is a 2001 with low miles. I weight 260 with 32 inch inseam.

If I was asked the best thing to do to a DR when you buy it I would suggest a suspension upgrade and a MX Rob pumper carb.

What are the first two things I should think about with the DRZ ... Knowing a new seat is coming from Sargent.

Thanks in advance for the tips!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #17725
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
What are the first two things I should think about with the DRZ ... Knowing a new seat is coming from Sargent.
Yes, addressing the seat problem if you're doing any kind of distance riding is probably the first thing.

Next would be tires appropriate for the type of riding you're planning. I like D606's as a good all-around 50-50 tire, but there are many good ones.

Okay, that's two. If you want more....

I'd certainly do enough with protective gear to be reasonably comfortable you can bash the bike about in the type of riding you do and not suffer a disabling failure. For most, this starts with the a skid plate and the clutch and stator reinforcement covers, as well as grinding off the sharp lip on the shifter. Some do more stuff like rad guards, but I've dropped mine a couple times without and not bent them so I'm running bare. Good handguards like Acerbis are a good investment. I like pro-taper bars so I upgraded the bars too.

If you're touring or doing long trips, a bigger fuel tank and luggage are common needs. The Clarke 3.9 is probably the most common mod, but there are others. If you're swapping the tank, then might be a good time to ditch the stock vacuum petcock for a more reliable manual one (Yamaha has a bolt on one that is cheap). A decent rack (I have the Suzuki OEM), tank bag (I like the small Wolfman Enduro), and perhaps some panniers are nice (I use Dirt-Bagz).

Engine wise, the first step is probably the 3x3 mod. I'm cheap so that's all I've done, but some guys like to throw more money into a FCR carb and aftermarket exhaust. Personally, I like the quiet of the stock pipe and the stock Mikuni is, in many ways, a better carb for anything but pure dirt riding.

My advice on upgrades is to take it slow and easy. Too many guys throw huge dollars into their bike thinking all this stuff is absolutely necessary, but in reality, you can do a lot with the stock bike. Always keep in mind that you'll only get a fraction of the cost of upgrades back if you later sell. And at some point, it is not cost effective to upgrade a bike like the DRZ - you're better off buying a KTM to begin with.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #17726
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks!

Well first, thanks for the reply. I guess I took some information for granted that I should have included. I will place a strong skid plate underneath, hand guards are already on the bike, I have wolf man bags on the DR that I will find a rack to use on the DRZ ... so these basic mods I am on track with. But thank you for the 3x3 mod suggestion, I get that one and will take your advice. The rack is also something that comes on the bike I am getting so I lucked out again on that farkle.

I assume the suspension on the DRZ is good to go? I know the DR sucked until I matched things up to my weight. I too am a 606 fan! I have run 606 tires on the TAT and at home for five plus years and love them! Even ride the Dragon with 606s and have always been happy with the results.

So, I am in with the 3x3 mod and anything else anyone suggests I am all ears!

Thanks!!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #17727
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
must do's tot he DRZ for the TAT-
-case gaurds
-steel rear chain ring, along with new chain and front CS sprocket
-IMS fuel tank
-check/ replace as needed wheel and all suspension bearings.
-seat concepts seat
wolfman bags and mounts.

nice to do's
-radiator gaurds
-hand gaurds
-suspension revalved
3x3 mod and JD rejet kit.

extensive list below at signature.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #17728
USA-H1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
New owner!

Hey guys,

I'm a new DRZ 400 owner and I'm pretty excited to get some riding under my belt. I grew up on Honda dirt bikes and I bought a Harley right out of college as a graduation present to myself.

I still have the Harley but some family members got me into dual sporting and after a weekend borrowing a dr650 last fall, I decided I was going to get a dual sport for this spring. We already have a trip planned for Vail Colorado in June where we will spend two weeks riding throughout Colorado and Utah.

Anyways, here are a few pics of the new bike. It is a 2005 with 6,000 miles on it. It has a full FMF exhaust, jetted carb, msr bark busters, aftermarket seat, the necessary ski plates and guards and a few other little things. I think it is a great place to start. I ordered a new headlight and fairing for the front and I am going to get some wolfman rollie bags for our trip.

USA-H1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #17729
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-H1 View Post
New owner!

Hi Mate,
Nice bike you have there, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the speedo cable looks like it's routed incorrectly around the outside of your fork leg instead of being routed from behind.

A simple fix which will take it out of harms way as it looks pretty vulnerable where it is.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #17730
USA-H1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for the tip. I was suspicous of it yesterday, I noticed it has rubbed on the fork slightly. I will check out some pics and re route it tonight.
USA-H1 is offline   Reply With Quote