Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #17806
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Thought I would chime in. I recently traded my KLX250 for an 04 DRZ! I just swapped out the triple clamps that were slightly tweaked and now I have the swing arm out so I can lube up some bearings. Can't wait to get out and ride this thing! Much stronger than the KLX.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #17807
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,380
I like how everyone has a different opinion on where the power increases will be best served.

I think it all comes down to how YOU are riding your bike.

If you like to keep the revs lower, but still want the power, adjust your bike accordingly...and vice versa.

Just because YOU like to ride dirt, and ride it in a certain RPM range, does not mean that the next guy will ride the same terrain in the same gear and RPM. Some of this has to do with speed and skill level as well. Bike is another big part of it. Ever ride a CRF 230 on a REALLY tight trail? You can lug that little bastard down to about 4 RPM (not 4k...4 ). Totally different then trying to ride an MX bike through the woods (CLUTCH!!).

Just sayin'

Feel free to not listen to me...since I ride a stock DRZ, and love it (well, I did change it to 14/47 )

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #17808
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Thought I would chime in. I recently traded my KLX250 for an 04 DRZ! I just swapped out the triple clamps that were slightly tweaked and now I have the swing arm out so I can lube up some bearings. Can't wait to get out and ride this thing! Much stronger than the KLX.

So when doing the head grease job can you just take top triple off and lower the bottom, forks etc just enough to do the greasing or is it more work than that
I am thinking that way I don't need to take the wheel out and disconnect cables etc, MAYBE

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #17809
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I like how everyone has a different opinion on where the power increases will be best served.

If you like to keep the revs lower, but still want the power, adjust your bike accordingly...and vice versa.

Just because YOU like to ride dirt, and ride it in a certain RPM range, does not mean that the next guy will ride the same terrain in the same gear and RPM. Some of this has to do with speed and skill level as well. Bike is another big part of it. Ever ride a CRF 230 on a REALLY tight trail? You can lug that little bastard down to about 4 RPM (not 4k...4 ). Totally different then trying to ride an MX bike through the woods (CLUTCH!!).

Just sayin'

Feel free to not listen to me...since I ride a stock DRZ, and love it (well, I did change it to 14/47 )

I did 14/47 also raised the needle with a couple of (correct) washers but nothing else.
My question is since I ride more trials style on single track stuff, to get more bottom end control whats the possible recommended next thing to do
And I hope we get lots of chat on this as its still WINTER here and I have time to do something before riding starts in a month or so (with luck)

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #17810
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post

Just sayin'

Yes, i have ridden a CRF230F

The bike was great on the trails, not so much for going freeway speeds tho.

Im not changing my gearing (sticking with the stock 15/44), cause as much as i like hitting the trails, i enjoy hitting 90+ mph spurts every now and again as well

And i do lots of freeway riding at 75-80mph with the bike, so gearing change is not an option, i tried 14/44 and 16/44, stock 15/44 works great for me.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #17811
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
So when doing the head grease job can you just take top triple off and lower the bottom, forks etc just enough to do the greasing or is it more work than that
I am thinking that way I don't need to take the wheel out and disconnect cables etc, MAYBE
I just replaced my steering bearings, and I did my fork oil at the same time... Felt like I had a bit of a slow wobble the first few days, but I guess when the old bearings were so stiff, they were almost acting like a steering damper! Could have been the new 606 too...

I didn't disconnect any cables or anything from the bar when I did the bearings, I just hung the bars over the tank..

I'm thinking it would be way harder to do with the wheel in place!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 10:10 AM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #17812
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I just replaced my steering bearings, and I did my fork oil at the same time... Felt like I had a bit of a slow wobble the first few days, but I guess when the old bearings were so stiff, they were almost acting like a steering damper! Could have been the new 606 too...

I didn't disconnect any cables or anything from the bar when I did the bearings, I just hung the bars over the tank..

I'm thinking it would be way harder to do with the wheel in place!
OK thanks, so did you just rest the forks on a block or stand of some sort

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #17813
striperjunky
Go team "Venture" !!!!!

Oddometer: 148
Stolen

Wife's 2004 Drz400s was stolen this morning. Be cautious of parts coming from the South Bend, In. 46544 area! If the p.o.s who did this is reading......better hope the cops find you before I do!

Rocky

striperjunky screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 02:45 PM
striperjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #17814
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjunky View Post
Wife's 2004 Drz400s was stolen this morning. Be cautious of parts coming from the South Bend, In. 46544 area! If the p.o.s who did this is reading......better hope the cops find you before I do!

Rocky
Any images of it, special bits on it, what colour was it

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #17815
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
OK thanks, so did you just rest the forks on a block or stand of some sort
I took the legs right off. it's a good opportunity to change the oil: mine looked like vomit fyi, but I do live in a wet climate. I guess you could leave them attatched at the bottom- maybe...the top cap is a bitch without the socket but not impossible if you're careful. then there's the lock ring which technically requires a spanner to undo, I did it with a drift easy enough.

The fork legs slide out real easy. it's 4 12mm heads per side plus a few cable guide bolts. re-torque them to 22 lbs when you're done.
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #17816
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjunky View Post

Rocky

That sucks!

I need several bits that are on her bike though... tank, skid.... maybe I will see them for sale online?

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #17817
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I took the legs right off. it's a good opportunity to change the oil: mine looked like vomit fyi, but I do live in a wet climate. I guess you could leave them attatched at the bottom- maybe...the top cap is a bitch without the socket but not impossible if you're careful. then there's the lock ring which technically requires a spanner to undo, I did it with a drift easy enough.

The fork legs slide out real easy. it's 4 12mm heads per side plus a few cable guide bolts. re-torque them to 22 lbs when you're done.
OK but does this not put the forks at risk of being out of alignment

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #17818
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,747
Are fork boots universal? M-Superstore has a set that is 43mm at the top and 56mm at the bottom. DRZ forks are 49mm. Will these boots work?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #17819
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Finally had some nice weather here in Virginia Beach

Got to take the DRZ out for first ride since getting her earlier in the week

Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #17820
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
DRZ Performance Parts - is there any market for this stuff?

I'm selling my DRZ and have a few extra parts for the bike and wanted to post up here to see if anyone's interested to help decide whether to hit the Flea Market.

The previous owner of the bike had all these performance parts on it at one point and said that it made a marked difference in torque and power, but his mpg dropped by approximately 10mpg. He used it as a commuter bike, so he went back to oem. He included them along with the bike when I bought it in the Summer of 2011. EDIT: heard back from the P.O. this morning regarding use of these components. he tells me they were on the bike for approximately 1000 miles.

I'm not trying to sell this stuff here right now. This list is all just for informational purposes to determine whether there's any interest so I can figure out whether to post this stuff up.

Cylinder Works 435cc Big Bore Kit; $589
(would need new gasket set (~$75) and wrist pin clips)
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/20...mmy_source=pdp
gasket set - http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/CY...ORE-GASKET-SET

Hot Cams - Exhaust Cam
; $189
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/20...TAGE-1-EXHAUST

Hot Cams - Intake Cam; $169
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/20...STAGE-1-INTAKE

FMF Q4 Muffler; $329
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/FM...SLIPON-EXHAUST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsCTohqs6c

(Approx $1276 Total)

Rear wheel
; has brake disc, but no sprocket

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks!

msgvb screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:11 AM Reason: additional information
msgvb is offline   Reply With Quote