Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #166
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,095
I wonder why you have the feeling that the DRZ turns in easier (I don't have enough experience on the DRZ to give my own opinion)? On paper, the opposite would seem true, given the more aggresive rake and trail specs, as well as the lower weight (the wheelbase is almost identical). Perhaps it's because the DRZ sits lower (lower COG?), or because of more front suspension compression (less compression damping) under hard braking on the DRZ (allowing better front weight transfer prior to cornering)? Thoughts?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #167
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinoregon
How do you guys like those Kenda 270s? I just ordered a set. I am doing mostly gravel logging roads, if that helps.
I like them on my DRZ. They work great for gravel roads, and do well on trails until it gets muddy and slick. They stick well on pavement, but you will feel the knobbies flexing, which feels very strange. They also last a lot longer with 50/50 dirt/street riding than any other tires I've tried.
I like the MT-21's better for dirt and street, but I wore out a rear MT-21 in about 1,200 miles on my old DR-350.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #168
stuckinoregon
never enough riding

Oddometer: 57
OK thanks for the info! This is my first dirtbike experience, so I am not used to all these new sensations if you know what I mean... - where do you ride on the coast?
stuckinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #169
TG-DRZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Got my seat back from the upholsters…lowered and suede that’s how it’s made. Haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet but just sitting on it I can already tell that it’s gonna be the shiznito bam super slam.

…and a quick sick pic from a recent Moab trip.
TG-DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #170
DGETHIS
You say Jump.I say HOWHI!

Oddometer: 42
black ?

Alright for all you guys with Black DRZ400s, what year did they produce the bike in that color? Did you paint yours black?.. i only see blue and yellow 90 percent of the time!... what gives?
DGETHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #171
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGETHIS
Alright for all you guys with Black DRZ400s, what year did they produce the bike in that color? Did you paint yours black?.. i only see blue and yellow 90 percent of the time!... what gives?
You can buy green, black, blue, white, & of course yellow.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #172
DGETHIS
You say Jump.I say HOWHI!

Oddometer: 42
hmmm... well all the dealerships around here are retarded then. They all order blue and yellow.. i want black!
DGETHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #173
RoadMinge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,407
my green DRZ on the Colorado 500, it performed well

KLX450R , Yamaha Zuma 50, Lambretta GP200
RoadMinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #174
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
hmmm... well all the dealerships around here are retarded then. They all order blue and yellow.. i want black!
The "S" model will be black starting in 2008.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #175
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Dealer? After-market is MUCH cheaper and you can get black. P.S. When I did my DRZ I ordered all the pieces separately (not the kit) so I could get the older RM250 style front fender (also available).

This is what she looked like before I sold her....

Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #176
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I just turned my KTM mostly black, still a little orange. Don't know about two black bikes, but I sure like the looks of the ones I see. Maybe white for the DRZ? Anyone got white pics?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #177
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinoregon
[...]where do you ride on the coast?
Tillamook State Forest, either up the Kilchis River, or up by Brown's Camp, Jordan Creek etc.
I also ride in the Nat'l Forest east of Sand Lake, and meet pals from Portland on the Nestucca River. There are definitely more dirt roads than paved in Tillamook County!
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #178
bb81130
n00b

Oddometer: 1
High altitude riding

Just bought (used) '06 S model. It has knobbies and 14 tooth front sprocket. Plan is to leave house which is 9000' above sea level and ride fire roads and trails up into the high country. On first ride, climbing a fairly steep hill at about 11,000' ran out of motor. It was very sluggish then stalled. Any help on jetting would be appreciated! Everything I have read seems like you are jetting for more power closer to sea level. The bike runs well at 9000'.

Thanks, Bill
bb81130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #179
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant
My HWMBO (he who must be obeyed) is Francois of Sport Touring Accessories, the US importer for Aqualine tanks. He and I both have them, his on a DR650, mine on a DRZ400S. You can reach Francois here at adv as well; his handle is GapRunr.

In July we rode the Continental Divide - here's a shot of me and my DRZ.
Wow, workerant, you and/or your hubby are the perfect folks to help me make a decision.
I'm scouring the threads here trying to decide which bike to buy in November with the plan of spending the winter prepping the bike, then doing the CD ride and the TAT in May-Aug 08.
Unless one of the manufacturers comes out with a big surprise, it looks like I'm going to choose between the DR and the DRZ.
(I was leaning toward the Husky TE-610, but have started to rule it out.)

Anyway, could you (or anyone else who's ridden both) tell us a bit about how the DR and DRZ differ on a ride like the CD or the TAT? Is the Z a lot more maneuverable? Does the 650 have a lot more bottom end power?

Also, it looks like the Safari tank covers the radiator on the DRZ, so you wouldn't need separate rad guards - true?

Thanks so much for any help!
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #180
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
Wow, workerant, you and/or your hubby are the perfect folks to help me make a decision.
I'm scouring the threads here trying to decide which bike to buy in November with the plan of spending the winter prepping the bike, then doing the CD ride and the TAT in May-Aug 08.
Unless one of the manufacturers comes out with a big surprise, it looks like I'm going to choose between the DR and the DRZ.
(I was leaning toward the Husky TE-610, but have started to rule it out.)

Anyway, could you (or anyone else who's ridden both) tell us a bit about how the DR and DRZ differ on a ride like the CD or the TAT? Is the Z a lot more maneuverable? Does the 650 have a lot more bottom end power?

Also, it looks like the Safari tank covers the radiator on the DRZ, so you wouldn't need separate rad guards - true?

Thanks so much for any help!
Why did you rule out the TE610?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote