Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 AM   #18151
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
Thanks for the info mate.
They look like a good piece of kit, I'll look into getting a set over here.
I forgot to mention: I found that I wanted mine to be wider (personal thing) so I added another rubber puck on each side.

I find that the Pegz are a huge help on hill climbs.... but make changing the air filter a bit slower.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #18152
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
So what is the best bang for the buck handguard out there? Ate it in some tight woods yesterday, broke clutch lever- which went through my glove and into my hand. Shouldn't have put them off.
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #18153
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
So what is the best bang for the buck handguard out there? Ate it in some tight woods yesterday, broke clutch lever- which went through my glove and into my hand. Shouldn't have put them off.
Probably similar to a best oil question lol, but I bought a set of aluminum wraparound handguards with plastic wind deflectors for just $45 on dale at Cycle Gear. Trackside is the brand.

Best deal I found, solid reviews, super sturdy craftsmanship.

As to those pucks above, if someone finds a good source stateside, please post the link! I love standing when I ride and those are (in)genius.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #18154
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,062
Pissed

Sorry, I have to vent. If you don't want to hear me bitch about trying to buy a DRZ then please skip this post.

I'm looking at three DRZ's, here:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcd/3713285646.html

Doesn't run, needs a DS kit, might offer the guy $1500, might not even look at it.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3711981261.html

Looks nicely set up, the suspension will need resprung for my weight, and I wish it had fewer miles, and was an e model.

And lastly:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3664857013.html

This last one has my attention, it's the one I want. It looks to me like an E model (why else would it have the DS kit? and the rear fender looks right, although the tool bag looks like the S model), which is what I am looking for. It's low miles, and looks like it has a few nice little add-on's.

But the seller is pissing me off.

Notice the bike was last posted a month ago. I emailed the owner a few days ago and asked him if the bike was still available, and he said yes. I said I wanted to come look at it Sunday (today). He said that someone was coming to look at it Saturday, so if I was really interested I should try to see it Saturday, early, before the other guy got there. I thought to myself "nice try, trying to make me think someone else is looking at the bike". So I emailed him and asked what time he was available Saturday and what time the other buyer was coming.

His reply?

"Well, it's actually four other people who are interested in the bike".

I'm sorry, that's bullshit, the bike hasn't been on CL in a month and all of a sudden four people are looking at it? I decided I wasn't playing his game, so I replied, "allright, well then I'll skip looking at it Saturday, if it sells then let me know, if not I'll come sunday". So I text him yesterday at about 8:30 "Did it sell?"

His reply?

"Yes and No, one guy said he thinks he wants it but is still thinking about it, so if you want the bike you should come take a look at it soon"

This guy doesn't quit. I was originally going to come look at it early (like right now). Well, the bike is near my office, and I go in to work tonight at 6pm, so I decided I'm just going to swing by on my way to work. I told him that, and to let me know if it sells before then. I know I'm going to offer $2400 (which I feel is fair to him and I) and he's going to say, "sorry, with so many other people looking at it I wont take less then asking price" which I'm not paying. I don't like dealing with people who scheme and scam when trying to sell something. If the bike hasn't sold in 3 months (which is about how long I've seen it on CL) and you haven't dropped the price by a penny, then you might be asking too much money. If you wont negotiate on the price, that's your prerogative, but just say it, don't try to play mind games.

I'm half tempted to wait until I get paid on Saturday and just go buy this one:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3656942134.html

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #18155
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Sorry, I have to vent. If you don't want to hear me bitch about trying to buy a DRZ then please skip this post.

I'm looking at three DRZ's, here:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcd/3713285646.html

Doesn't run, needs a DS kit, might offer the guy $1500, might not even look at it.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3711981261.html

Looks nicely set up, the suspension will need resprung for my weight, and I wish it had fewer miles, and was an e model.

And lastly:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3664857013.html

This last one has my attention, it's the one I want. It looks to me like an E model (why else would it have the DS kit? and the rear fender looks right, although the tool bag looks like the S model), which is what I am looking for. It's low miles, and looks like it has a few nice little add-on's.

Notice the bike was last posted a month ago. I emailed the owner a few days ago and asked him if the bike was still available, and he said yes. I said I wanted to come look at it Sunday (today). He said that someone was coming to look at it Saturday, so if I was really interested I should try to see it Saturday, early, before the other guy got there. I thought to myself "nice try, trying to make me think someone else is looking at the bike". So I emailed him and asked what time he was available Saturday and what time the other buyer was coming.

His reply?

"Well, it's actually four other people who are interested in the bike".

I'm sorry, that's bullshit, the bike hasn't been on CL in a month and all of a sudden four people are looking at it? I decided I wasn't playing his game, so I replied, "allright, well then I'll skip looking at it Saturday, if it sells then let me know, if not I'll come sunday". So I text him yesterday at about 8:30 "Did it sell?"

His reply?

"Yes and No, one guy said he thinks he wants it but is still thinking about it, so if you want the bike you should come take a look at it soon"

This guy doesn't quit. I was originally going to come look at it early (like right now). Well, the bike is near my office, and I go in to work tonight at 6pm, so I decided I'm just going to swing by on my way to work. I told him that, and to let me know if it sells before then. I know I'm going to offer $2400 (which I feel is fair to him and I) and he's going to say, "sorry, with so many other people looking at it I wont take less then asking price" which I'm not paying. I don't like dealing with people who scheme and scam when trying to sell something. If the bike hasn't sold in 3 months (which is about how long I've seen it on CL) and you haven't dropped the price by a penny, then you might be asking too much money. If you wont negotiate on the price, that's your prerogative, but just say it, don't try to play mind games.

As someone who's trying to sell a DRZ myself, I have to say that I've had several guys who said I want the bike, but no one has given me a deposit. Money talks and BS walk. The first guy that gives me a deposit toward the price I'm asking will be the new owner.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #18156
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
As someone who's trying to sell a DRZ myself, I have to say that I've had several guys who said I want the bike, but no one has given me a deposit. Money talks and BS walk. The first guy that gives me a deposit toward the price I'm asking will be the new owner.
I don't doubt it a minute, that's why I hate selling a motorcycle.

If the seller is firm on the price, that's fine, that's his choice. What annoys the shit out of me is the game playing. If he wants to be firm, fine, just say so! But trying to play games to make it seem like a ton of people are drooling over the bike and trying to keep the price high that way is annoying. He's lying to my face. I hate dishonest people. I don't know if I can trust that he took care of the bike, or trust anything he says.

As an aside, I went to the University of Akron for three years (Army scholarship, got hurt in a MC accident and got a discharge). Go Zips!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #18157
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 622
Good luck to you. You'll find what you want.
'12 NC700X/D

gkgeiger screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 01:07 PM
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #18158
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Probably similar to a best oil question lol, but I bought a set of aluminum wraparound handguards with plastic wind deflectors for just $45 on dale at Cycle Gear. Trackside is the brand.

As to those pucks above, if someone finds a good source stateside, please post the link! I love standing when I ride and those are (in)genius.
Just found out I have a cycle gear local, picked up a set of trackside wraparounds without the wind deflector on sale 19.99. Whoooo just going to take a little tweaking to fit how I want. Thanks!
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #18159
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
i finely got to take my drz400 out for a ds ride today

i do love a dual sport bike
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #18160
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Good news! On a whim I texted the fourth bike (the '07 for $3k) and asked the guy is he was interested in a trade for my SMC ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871611 ) and he said he might be. I offered him his bike and $500 for my SMC. I'm going to go look at it Wednesday.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #18161
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
I am looking for some jetting advice. I had a local shop rejet and clean my FCR in my DRZ400e, but it came back running worse. It pops often, whereas before it only would pop occasionally on deceleration. It starts harder now, and has to run on choke for a few minutes before I can turn it off. It also smells of fuel all the time, even when just sitting in the drive.
It hasn't been real hot, so I feel pretty certain it's not just venting from the tank. I can't spot any leaks, and there is no fuel puddle beneath the bike.

Anyone have any ideas, something I can try short of taking it back to him?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #18162
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post

I run the tusk aluminum units with plastic hand shields from Rocky Mountain. Bonus, they sell them with LEDs turn signals attached. They've worked out great with many rock encounters the last couple years and no issues. You can see them a little bit here:
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #18163
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Anyone have any ideas, something I can try short of taking it back to him?
If it isn't right, take it back. If you mess around with it yourself the shop can justifiably deny responsibility. Just take it back, be nice about it of course, and ask them to correct the issue. If your local shop operates ethically they'll sort the problem out.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #18164
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

and asked him if the bike was still available, and he said yes.

Call him one more time and ask him if it's still available if yes: then tell him to buy a huge glass Jar and turn his Z into huge PICKLE and save it for rainy days...There's still a lot of fish in the sea.
The last one looks cool.
Quote:

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #18165
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
2009 DRZ400S at last...

Yeah , I have wanted one of these cool bikes for 10+ years and just bought a 2009 DRZ400S ...all white ...1600 miles...for $3500... fun commuter , plenty of power ,I lowered it with links ,jet kit ,seat concepts seat , rack ,tailbag ,shinko 705's , 16 tooth , and more stuff to add ...man, it's a blast to wheelie 1st and 2nd ...I am going to have to watch out for speeding awards...BRAAP...