Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #18526
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
I use a hitch carrier and I double strap everything. Even if I had a trailer, I'd still use double tie downs. Too easy for something to go wrong.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #18527
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,386
I make my buddy haul it on his trailer. I'll take his TE610 if it get's messed up.

Good info on the insurance policy coverage stuff. I will have to look into mine before I buy a trailer in the near future. Although, I am not overly concerned about it. I really want an enclosed trailer! The friend I joke about hauling my bike, had his BMW Xchallenge and F250 stolen in CO Springs last year (the day before West Fest). They left my DRZ on the trailer about 1/4mi from our hotel. Pretty sure a locked enclosed trailer would have thwarted the theft.

PS- Don't stay at the Holiday Inn near the Colorado Springs Airport.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #18528
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I use a hitch carrier and I double strap everything. Even if I had a trailer, I'd still use double tie downs. Too easy for something to go wrong.
Often, I think straps come loose when the suspension compresses, letting the strap tension relax. I use the cheapo fork braces when I strap the bike down to keep tension by not allowing the fork to compress.

I have my bikes in the bed of the truck, so they probably won't hit the pavement if they come loose, but I also like that it keeps the forks from being compressed for long periods when hauling. Probably makes no difference, but who knows...

Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #18529
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,932
So I pulled the rims on my '07 E model today for new tires, and I noticed that my front brake disc is slightly warped. Does anyone have any recommendations on a cost effective non-oem alternative? I've found some on Amazon for as little as $50-$60 but I'm worried they're junk.

Thanks!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #18530
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
extended warr.

just a thougth, anyone ever spend the extra money a go with the ext.warr? hopefully i'll be getting my bike this weekend.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #18531
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
So I pulled the rims on my '07 E model today for new tires, and I noticed that my front brake disc is slightly warped. Does anyone have any recommendations on a cost effective non-oem alternative? I've found some on Amazon for as little as $50-$60 but I'm worried they're junk.

Thanks!

I've got a Tusk rotor that i'm happy with, It's also got many good reviews. For the price i dont think you can go wrong with it.

my only complaint is they dont make a matching rear (other than for the SM)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ke-Rotor-Front
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #18532
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
New to me 400S

Hi all...
I am a defector from the BMW GS camp and I bought a 2009 Suzuki DRZ400S with 6000km on it nearly a month ago... and what can I say... a pretty nice bike for what it is! Anyone want to by a very well equipped 1100 GS? I Didn't get an owners manual with it though, but I have read just about every post in this thread. But I have a few unanswered questions:

The first real issue that I have is that when I go for a ride, my clothing smells of exhaust. For the past few weeks this ride has been 13km to work with half highway at 80 to 100km/h and the remaining town where speeds are 50 to 70km/h. There is really no point where I am sitting somewhere idling waiting for a light to change. Now I don't STINK of exhaust, but I can and others can smell exhaust to a small degree on my jacket. Have never experienced this at all before with other bikes I have had. From what I can see there is no exhaust leak between the engine and tail pipe. From what I can tell the carburetor is adjusted correctly (white screw below the carb all the way closed, plus about 2.5 turns open and fine tune to where idle is good.) I don't small raw fuel or even perceive that I have stinky exhaust. Is this normal - is there some sort of "station wagon" effect happening?

The soon to be wife and I are thinking of a long honeymoon trip here in June (2006 BMW 650GS and the 2009 DRZ400S). I am sure the DRZ is capable of going from Quesnel BC to say Alaska or Yukon - especially if I change the rear sprocket to a size smaller for the 700km a day extended highway sections and change over to stock sizing for the gravel days. Since the photo below I have a rear rack installed and will be getting probably Wolfman soft luggage setup for the bike to keep the weight down - this is where the BMW is handy as I can run my ammo box panniers on this bike and it won't complain about the weight. This weekend I will install an IMS 4 Gallon tank, build an engine guard that will incorporate a brace for the tank so the radiators won't crush in a crash. Install 2nd generation Britannica Composites Lynx fairing to get a bit more wind protection, 3200K HID for the low beam and leave the halogen high beam alone. Will dump the D606 tires and install some Mitas E07s, would like to use 90/90-21 and 130/80-18 - any issues with this tire size - especially the front as this is what my 650GS takes? Will have a tool set to change tires and other mods in an agri-tool tube. What else would I be missing for an extended two week trip like this?

I hate not having a tachometer - the Vapor gauge set - how bright is it at night? Can the brightness be adjusted? I hate having über bright instrument pods.

Mirrors - the stock one are great for looking at my arms... anything better?

Is there a PDF version of the owners manual around somewhere?

I am assuming that brand name, found at any truck stop, 15w40 "Diesel" oil will be fine for this bike? What is the change interval?

Is there a good way to paint the wheels black?

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #18533
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Often, I think straps come loose when the suspension compresses, letting the strap tension relax. I use the cheapo fork braces when I strap the bike down to keep tension by not allowing the fork to compress.

I have my bikes in the bed of the truck, so they probably won't hit the pavement if they come loose, but I also like that it keeps the forks from being compressed for long periods when hauling. Probably makes no difference, but who knows...

Psycho

So, are they called "cheapo" or do they have brand name? I've been looking for something like that.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #18534
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
So, are they called "cheapo" or do they have brand name? I've been looking for something like that.
Cycle Gear has them for under $20. Just called a Fork Brace I believe.

Edit: $9.99

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/36451_33389
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #18535
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,159
A friend of mine uses a basketball,and now so do I.....works great!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #18536
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
There are lots of opinions on the best way to trailer. Mine is that these fork brace things dramatically increase the stress on the tie-down points as the bike no longer has any "give" over bumps. Personally, I think compressed suspension is a good thing for trailering as long as you make sure your tie-downs are in good shape and have captive hooks that can't become unhooked if they go momentarily slack. And you always want to have enough tie-downs that one can break and you have a backup of some sort.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #18537
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
i like to tie the extra off to the spare tire and down to the carrier

i used the carrier once with out doing this and nearly lost the bike
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #18538
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Tool Kit Solution

I have removed the factory tool bag from the rear fender to install a rack and also because it was completely faded and falling apart due to sun damage; the PO stored the bike outdoors for years. What have people done to store their tools elsewhere on their DRZ?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #18539
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
I have removed the factory tool bag from the rear fender to install a rack and also because it was completely faded and falling apart due to sun damage; the PO stored the bike outdoors for years. What have people done to store their tools elsewhere on their DRZ?
Tool tube.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #18540
flyingdirty12
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Noobie wish list

I am new to DS riding and bought a 03 400S from a guy. It has some things I need to address and I am ignorant on what should be done first. I want to make informed decisions on what is going to be the best use of my money. Here is a list and I would appreciate some help sorting it out.

1. Carb has issues and at minimum I need to have it cleaned. Should I go ahead and get it jetted and open up the air box? seems like an inexpesive way to get some power. Is really worth it? Do I have to get a new exhaust when you do this?

2. Leaking coolant on the right side behind the engine guard. I think I know what needs to be done to fix this.

3. Tires. I bought it with tires that I believe are more street then off road. I am wanting to be able to ride on the road to get to trails. Any suggestions on a good on/off road tire. I would be willing to sell the tires I have now to fund the purchase of new nobbies. They are in good shape.

4. I got too excited and bought it and didn't let the fact that it did not have a properly operating tail light and no blinkers on the rear stop me. What would be a good aftermarket light kit to put on the back? OR does anyone have a wiring diagram that would help me fix the tail light that has been spliced into the tail light wires.

That is all I can think of now. Thanks for looking and I appreciate anybodies advice.

flyingdirty12 is offline   Reply With Quote