Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #18541
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Anyone want to trade their stock air filter for a K&N ?

I'm looking for the cage/ basket type thing that holds the foam in place. I decided to go back to foam and bought a Uni filter but it did not come with the cage and my stock filter parts are long gone. PM me
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #18542
payback
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
key cuy for 2006 drz400s

whats up with getting a key cut for this bike, i dont have local suzuki dealer?
payback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #18543
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by payback View Post
the dealer will probably want the code number and then to sell you a new key from suzuki for like $100.

i tried a couple local locksmiths. none of the had suitable blanks on hand. they all said if i get a blank from the internet, they could cut me one.

i just resolved to not lose my key...and memorized the wiring so i would be able to hotwire it (i.e., bypass the key switch) if i do.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #18544
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by payback View Post

I just had one made at a locksmith shop yesterday. It wasn't the exact correct blank; it's a little longer than the stock one, but it works just fine.

MikkSteel screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 02:00 PM
MikkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #18545
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
I just had one made at a locksmith shop yesterday. It's a little longer than the stock one, but it works just fine.
Price?

Upon buying me DRZ, I lost my "spare" within 2 weeks.

Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #18546
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Price?

Upon buying me DRZ, I lost my "spare" within 2 weeks.

7 bucks, including blank and cutting. But I'm in Honolulu, and there's a "paradise tax" on everything.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #18547
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdirty12 View Post
1. Carb has issues and at minimum I need to have it cleaned. Should I go ahead and get it jetted and open up the air box? seems like an inexpesive way to get some power. Is really worth it? Do I have to get a new exhaust when you do this?
you do not need a new exhaust to benefit from the 3x3 mod (opening up the air box) and rejetting.

the 3x3 mod/rejet will not get you more power. however, it will get you better throttle response which can kinda feel like more power. also, for me at least, it got rid of a midrange hiccup i had with the stock jetting and stock snorkel. the DRZ, like most 4 stroke dual sports, comes jetted way lean from the factory in order to meet EPA specs. by opening the air box and rejetting, you're just getting it where it would have been from the factory if they weren't worried about EPA regs.

Quote:
3. Tires. I bought it with tires that I believe are more street then off road. I am wanting to be able to ride on the road to get to trails. Any suggestions on a good on/off road tire. I would be willing to sell the tires I have now to fund the purchase of new nobbies. They are in good shape.
the front is a no-brainer, imho. pirelli XCMH. handles like a real dirt tire in dirt (unlike another popular choice--the dunlop 606 which kinda sucks in dirt), handles nearly as well as the 606 on the road, and lasts twice as long as the 606. i've yet to find another DOT front tire that actually handles in dirt like a real dirt tire.

in the back, the kenda trackmaster II is, hands-down, the best DOT tire in the dirt. however, they wear really, really fast on pavement. so, if you are going to spend much time at all on pavement, they may not be the way to go unless you don't mind spending a lot of money and a lot of time swapping rear tires all the time. the XCMH and 606 are two viable options in the back. the XCMH handles loose dirt and mud significantly better (though still not great), but they're about the same in hard dry dirt. they handle about the same on pavement and last about the same.

Quote:
4. I got too excited and bought it and didn't let the fact that it did not have a properly operating tail light and no blinkers on the rear stop me. What would be a good aftermarket light kit to put on the back?
then DRC Edge is a popular choice. i'm happy with mine for the tail light. you can get them from wheeling supply.

as for turn signals, i'd just recommend getting whatever the cheapest flush mount ones you can find. the sticky-outy kind break too easily if you are doing technical trail riding that includes dropping your bike in rocks and/or bushwacking through thick undergrowth/trees fairly often or not making it up hills and having the bike slide back down. (if your trail riding is the casual kind that does not involved routinely dropping/crashing the bike, then just whatever cheap sticky-outy ones you can find.)

https://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/...r-drz400sms/46
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #18548
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
, would like to use 90/90-21 and 130/80-18 - any issues with this tire size - Will have a tool set to change tires and other mods in an agri-tool tube. What else would I be missing for an extended two week trip like this?

The tire size is fine, u can pack some lightweight parts that can come handy just in case (front levers, throttle cable, clutch cable, bolt+nuts super glue, duc tape etc...)

Quote:
I hate not having a tachometer - the Vapor gauge set - how bright is it at night? Can the brightness be adjusted? I hate having über bright instrument pods.
The vapor gauge is bright enough. I think It can be adjusted I never tried it though.
Quote:
Mirrors - the stock one are great for looking at my arms... anything better?
Stick with what u got or get cheaper ones usually they brake or crack sometimes when riding off road and drop the bike.
Quote:
I am assuming that brand name, found at any truck stop, 15w40 "Diesel" oil will be fine for this bike? What is the change interval?
If u wanna stay on the cheap side buy Rotella they good for motorcycle engines and last between 2000 to 4000 miles depending on the type of riding u do.

Quote:
Is there a PDF version of the owners manual around somewhere?
Cheap...

00-03 Suzuki DRZ400 Service Repair Manual

Or Clymer...

SUZUKI DRZ DRZ400 DRZ400E DRZ400S SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL

Quote:
Is there a good way to paint the wheels black?
Huh but why ?? Maybe it help you go any faster. If it's just for the looks imho you just be spending more $$$.
Have fun on ur trip and watch for the Grizzlies ...
Old 04-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #18549
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
The vapor gauge is bright enough. I think It can be adjusted I never tried it though.

Huh but why [paint the wheels black] ?? Maybe it help you go any faster. If it's just for the looks imho you just be spending more $$$.
Have fun on ur trip and watch for the Grizzlies ...
I am wonder if the gauge is TOO bright, as in will will diminish your night vision? It is back lit with LEDs or bulbs?

Black wheels on a while 400S... it's strictly looks! Gotta have something nice once in a while!

Any thoughts on the exhaust smell?

ONE TANK REMAINS! BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #18550
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
my backpack smells like exhaust after riding my DRZ. the rest of my clothes generally don't.

i don't seem to have any exhaust leaks. i think it's just a turbulence effect.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #18551
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
I am wonder if the gauge is TOO bright, as in will will diminish your night vision?

It's actually very comfy not that bright, not sure whether it's led or bulb...
Quote:
Any thoughts on the exhaust smell
I have an after market loud muffler . Dunno about the stock one though. Never had an issue with smells, my issue is with noise but I am used to it by now
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #18552
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
I am wonder if the gauge is TOO bright, as in will will diminish your night vision? It is back lit with LEDs or bulbs?

Black wheels on a while 400S... it's strictly looks! Gotta have something nice once in a while!

If the Vapor is connected to a 12 volt power source its illumination will be something like 5 or 10 times brighter than using only the internal battery. I don't find the illumination uncomfortable. If you did, you could just revert to the internal battery.
When I'm touring my soft bags smell of exhaust and diesel. I think some of this is from the bike but also from the tons of trucks on the road.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #18553
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
put i light piece of window tint on your odo if its to bright
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #18554
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
put i light piece of window tint on your odo if its to bright
Haha that's what I did to the cable box in my bedroom because the clock on it was too bright for me to sleep. Readily available at Auto zone or Walmart.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #18555
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
it works