Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #18661
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
This time I'm going up hill turning right into a fish hook off camber 10mph turn at probably 13 mph. A bicyclist is in my lane coming downhill probably doing 25, so in an instant I just dipped a little lower, and voila! knobbies give out and im spun out facing the opposite direction. guy doesnt stop, or say anything. He got super lucky I didn't end his day with 300lbs of suzie loving. ...
Sorry bout ur mishap, this could have happen to anyone with whatever tires are on (according to details). On a side note I had good experience with TrackMaster even on twisty roads the only thing bad about these tire is that they melt quickly when on pavements but as far as handling goes I had no issues with it (even on black top).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #18662
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Sorry bout ur mishap, this could have happen to anyone with whatever tires are on (according to details). On a side note I had good experience with TrackMaster even on twisty roads the only thing bad about these tire is that they melt quickly when on pavements but as far as handling goes I had no issues with it (even on black top).
yeah, they feel pretty good for a knobby for sure. I may have had my pressures set incorrectly for where I was riding... I can't remember if I put more air in after my last offroad ride. Oh well, it's a dirtbike! Whatever they give me for the claim will go a long way on this lil machine.
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #18663
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
...new piston and rings, new stock cylinder with piston and rings, 434 kit with cylinder.... Any write ups/threads would be appreciated and recommended vendors would be a plus.
They go for about $400 u still have to buy hot cam if u want it done right...

SUZUKI JE DRZ400 DRZ 400 BIG BORE 434CC CYLINDER KIT

Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #18664
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Had a sitter on Saturday and the wife was working, so I took the DRZ out for some solo mountain road fun time. Got up into the hills and as per usual the spandex brigade of road cyclists were out in full effect, so I was riding slowly. Not to mention I am using the trackmaster knobbies which don't lend themselves to street duty anyhow. I love this stretch of road because of how many tight crazy off camber turns it has, and on my old supermoto I would bomb this road, and slide all over the place with an enourmous grin on my face. This time I'm going up hill turning right into a fish hook off camber 10mph turn at probably 13 mph. A bicyclist is in my lane coming downhill probably doing 25, so in an instant I just dipped a little lower, and voila! knobbies give out and im spun out facing the opposite direction. guy doesnt stop, or say anything. He got super lucky I didn't end his day with 300lbs of suzie loving. I pull the bike out of the road and look it over...couple little scratches and bent bars (the newish tusk ATV bend bars) but on my cruise home I realize the front end is out of alignment and theres also gouges in the lower fork tube. Decided, eff it I have never made an insurance claim before, so dammit I'll put it to good use. I literally a week ago changed my deductible from 500 to 100 so I was stoked about that... only to look at my claim online to see my agent never finalized that policy change. fuck. Anyway, I guess we'll see how "ride" insurance by progressive handles it. Kinda just wanted to vent a little... stupid damn cyclist asshole. hopefully they don't total the damned thing...

Its a dirt bike, these things happen. Insurance for some scratches and twisted front end?

Put the bike up on a stand, loosen the front end bolts (axle nut, axle pinch bolts, triple clamp pinch bolts), stand in front of the bike with the wheel between your legs and yank the bars back and forth a few times until it is straight, tighten bolts.

Bars are cheap enough, snag another set.

I made up some axle sliders for like $10 (skate board wheels and all-thread) after I dumped mine and scratched the fork tube a bit.

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #18665
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
yeah, they feel pretty good for a knobby for sure. I may have had my pressures set incorrectly for where I was riding... .
The best feel for tire pressure in TM II (after testing it for ~2 years) on-rd 24 to 28 psi, off-rd 14 to 16 psi (depending if u are carrying a load or not).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #18666
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Will the 434 and hotcams work with the S carb?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #18667
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,922
How the reliability of the 434 kits?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #18668
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post

Its a dirt bike, these things happen. Insurance for some scratches and twisted front end?

Put the bike up on a stand, loosen the front end bolts (axle nut, axle pinch bolts, triple clamp pinch bolts), stand in front of the bike with the wheel between your legs and yank the bars back and forth a few times until it is straight, tighten bolts.

Bars are cheap enough, snag another set.

I made up some axle sliders for like $10 (skate board wheels and all-thread) after I dumped mine and scratched the fork tube a bit.

yeah, I did skate wheels on my last DRZ. I am fully aware of how to untwist the front end, and made the effort... realistically it's more of an " I've paid for full coverage insurance on every bike I've owned for the last 12 years, so why not use it for once" situation :)
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #18669
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Quote:

Have you used one of these kits? I am always worried about the quality....
Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #18670
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
i know personally that je makes good pistons
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #18671
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
i know personally that je makes good pistons
I agree with you on the piston but was wondering about the cylinder, I just may have to give them a call tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #18672
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Twisted SM front end

Hi all,
Is there a mathematical way of measuring to be sure your SM front end is straight? I know for sure mine a as the bar clamp is twisted to the side a bit when going down the highway and the bike is a bit more wobbly at speed than it should be.
Luckily my crash didn't involve a cyclist...they are the worst, I can't believe they complain about how people drive. I do recall dropping a bike at slow speed because a pedestrian started jumping back and forth because he didn't know which way to go (getting on the sidewalk would have been nice). He too walked away without saying anything. A week later the same thing happened with the same guy so I hit the gas to hit him and he got on the sidewalk.

Steve
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #18673
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,745
I need answers/thoughts/opinions! My bike is using oil. I'm pretty sure it's the rings. It's an S model. Engine is bone stock, I believe. I'd like to replace the rings, cam chain, and have some head/valve work since I'm north of 15K miles. I'm not opposed to putting in a 434 kit, but I don't want to spend the money on a FCR carb right now.

So I'm thinking stock bore, replace rings, cam chain, massage the head, and install hotcams. Will this work with the BSR carb or should I bite the bullet and go all the way? I'm running a full FMF Q4 exhaust that I'd like to keep...
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #18674
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
I need answers/thoughts/opinions! My bike is using oil. I'm pretty sure it's the rings. It's an S model. Engine is bone stock, I believe. I'd like to replace the rings, cam chain, and have some head/valve work since I'm north of 15K miles. I'm not opposed to putting in a 434 kit, but I don't want to spend the money on a FCR carb right now.

So I'm thinking stock bore, replace rings, cam chain, massage the head, and install hotcams. Will this work with the BSR carb or should I bite the bullet and go all the way? I'm running a full FMF Q4 exhaust that I'd like to keep...
The cylinder works big bore isn't any/much more than stock bore and will be fine with hotcams, rejeted BSR and FMF. No brainer imho.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #18675
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post

Theres lots of people that run the CW big bore kit, along with the hot cams and the stock carb, just needs to be properly jetted is all.