Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #18676
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Have you used one of these kits? I am always worried about the quality....
I haven't heard anything bad about them. I am willing to pull the trigger on one of these big bore kit sometime soon. But if I do it, I definitely wanted the hot cams (stage1) replaced in order to feel the change of power.
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Will the 434 and hotcams work with the S carb?
I think it should Threadkiller. I ask my mechanic the other day bout the possibilities to what's the best when installing big bore kit, he replied it works better with the 39mm carb instead of the 36mm (on S model). Of course different cams and big muffler helps the engine breath a lot easier. I won't mind pop a wheelie on 4th gear ...
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #18677
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,460
Just ordered the Cylinder Works 434 kit so I should have it and installed this weekend if things work out. I called the guy from the Ebay add you posted and chatted with him for a while. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #18678
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #18679
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Just ordered the Cylinder Works 434 kit so I should have it and installed this weekend if things work out. I called the guy from the Ebay add you posted and chatted with him for a while. I will let you know how it goes.
Cool, congrats on ur new project. Can't wait to see the final result. Maybe it'll pump the rest of us to jump in and do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #18680
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
Hi all,
Is there a mathematical way of measuring to be sure your SM front end is straight? I know for sure mine a as the bar clamp is twisted to the side a bit when going down the highway and the bike is a bit more wobbly at speed than it should be.
Luckily my crash didn't involve a cyclist...they are the worst, I can't believe they complain about how people drive. I do recall dropping a bike at slow speed because a pedestrian started jumping back and forth because he didn't know which way to go (getting on the sidewalk would have been nice). He too walked away without saying anything. A week later the same thing happened with the same guy so I hit the gas to hit him and he got on the sidewalk.

Steve
I don't use mathematics, I do as stated by another poster in response to my crash post. Loosen all the bolts and retightening once straight. if that fails, you may have some bent parts. On the other topic I laughed out loud at trying to nail the guy the second time! Some people shouldn't be allowed outside haha. This is why we need airhorns.
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #18681
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 245
13T sprocket

10 days and counting to launch time to Moab. yep.

NOOB concern:
New to the DRZ community--bike had a 15/44 and a 19" front wheel.
Relaced the front to 21" yesterday and presently geared at 14/44.

Presently using a 14/44 combination for fire trails, but found it geared to high for my present skill level riding single track; riding partner offered me the use of a 13T for a 1 hour jaunt in the woods/single track and it was much easier to manage, but had some NOOB concern that the radius might be to small.

So...
Is there any reason not to use a 13T sprocket On the DRZ 400S?
ie the smaller 13T radius will cause the chain to eat the swing arm etc.
Thanks.
m.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America

revmaaatin screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 08:25 PM Reason: changed 45T to 44T
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #18682
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
any pictures of that bike ?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #18683
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaaatin View Post

NOOB concern:
New to the DRZ community--bike had a 15/45 and a 19" front wheel.
Relaced the front to 21" yesterday and presently geared at 14/45.

Presently using a 14/45 combination for fire trails, but found it geared to high for my present skill level riding single track; riding partner offered me the use of a 13T for a 1 hour jaunt in the woods/single track and it was much easier to manage, but had some NOOB concern that the radius might be to small.

So...
Thanks.
m.
Dunno about the 13T on the front....but a 14/49 combo is great off road. When I go to Moab, I will run that.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #18684
NB.Moose
NBDSC

Oddometer: 27
S wheels on my drz400sm!!

NB.Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #18685
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB.Moose View Post
S wheels on my drz400sm!!

Wow that looks great!!!
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #18686
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:

NOOB concern:
New to the DRZ community--bike had a 15/45 and a 19" front wheel.
Relaced the front to 21" yesterday and presently geared at 14/45.

Presently using a 14/45 combination for fire trails, but found it geared to high for my present skill level riding single track; riding partner offered me the use of a 13T for a 1 hour jaunt in the woods/single track and it was much easier to manage, but had some NOOB concern that the radius might be to small.

So...
Thanks.
m.
I ran 13-50 on my old E without problems but do watch the swing-arm rub strip. Replace it when it gets thin. That thing was a crazy hill climber and paddler!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #18687
phlatlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Moab Gearing

I think Fifthcircle hit the nail on the head concerning gearing for Moab. I was out there, the first week in April, on an S model with 14x44 and it was ok. But for single track and anything below 10mph I was wishing for a 47, 48 or 49 rear sprocket. If I had to choose today I would likely go 48 since I'm pretty sure that will work with my 112L chain and still allow road somewhat comfortably.

If you will only be riding pavement to the trail, and that is 20 miles or less, I would run as large a gearing as my chain would allow. Something like 14x50-52. That said I would never run that gearing b/c home for me is flat as a pancake and chain length seems to be the determining factor for gearing. I don't want to add and remove links since i'm a knob when it comes to chains so I'm bound by 112L b/c at home I want 15x44.
phlatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #18688
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-H1 View Post
Yea that is the wolfman saddlebag mount with the rollie bags on it. The website says a medium rollie is the largest you can use up top but I saw in some thread that someone confirmed you can use a large and so thats what I did. It is tight but it works.

Thanks! I currently have the waterproof bags which attach to the wolfman metal rack system. But, I don't have the racks yet and am trying to decide whether or not to return them for the saddlebag get up. Yours looks like it would do the trick. Only downside is not being able to attach an extra plastic gas tank (can't remember what they're called) My trip is going to be around 2000 miles, from southern Oregon up to Canada and back. Should take around 11 days. All back roads! Enjoy your trip!
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #18689
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 245
We got not stinking pictures....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
any pictures of that bike ?
Well,
do you want it in the woods or up on the lift? grin.
m.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #18690
MojaveSidecar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:

NOOB concern:
New to the DRZ community--bike had a 15/44 and a 19" front wheel.
Relaced the front to 21" yesterday and presently geared at 14/44.

Presently using a 14/44 combination for fire trails, but found it geared to high for my present skill level riding single track; riding partner offered me the use of a 13T for a 1 hour jaunt in the woods/single track and it was much easier to manage, but had some NOOB concern that the radius might be to small.

So...
Thanks.
m.
Hey Martin

What the heck are you doing over here in a DRZ forum? Probably the same thing I am doing. .

I have 2 DRZs now... a 2000E that has been totally tricked out by Eddie including a big bore kit and a NOVA wide ratio gear set... this bike spelled the end of my 03 KLR which my son is acquiring as a commuter.

The NOVA gear set has totally transformed the E for me... I still have the same low 1st and 2nd for dirt. The shift into 3rd gives comfortable blvd traveling.. and the top two gears provide nice interstate performance.

The other DRZ is a 06 SM ... currently stock but soon to be built as a stroker.. and I already have the ACT wide ratio gears that will go into it this fall.

I still have my 01 KLR which is getting the DMC Enduro sidecar mounted and will take its place in the stable with my two URAL GearUps.

At my age, for 2 wheel off roading, I am finding the DRZs to be much easier than the KLRs.. OTOH, the KLR makes a great dualsport sidecar tug..

Randy from Wrightwood
MojaveSidecar is offline   Reply With Quote