Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #18691
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 303
same song, different lo-cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveSidecar View Post
Hey Martin

What the heck are you doing over here in a DRZ forum? Probably the same thing I am doing. .

SNIP

At my age, for 2 wheel off roading, I am finding the DRZs to be much easier than the KLRs.. OTOH, the KLR makes a great dualsport sidecar tug..

Randy from Wrightwood
oops. busted.
Never met a motorcycle I did not like; some more than others.
Checking out the other variety of Kool-aid available.
The KLR650 is to heavy for my advancing age...cough. for the rough stuff, and I am in the middle of a lot of good riding in the Black Hills of SD.

I have loved the KLR650, and love the thump of mild gravel and paved canyons, however the KLX250 and the DR400 are so much better suited for the new paradigm

of the Black Hills vs. eastdakota prairie gravel roads.
[Seems to me = buttock dyno] the smaller bikes are about the same power to wt. ratio as the KLR without the weight.

so, the new to me bikes are sorted out, we got a belly full of gas and a mission from God: off to see the grand wizard of the desert, The high and right rev Fred of Moab fame.

We-be in MOAB 19 May for a week.
KLX250 and the DRZ400 and a host of other hooligans.
--new tires, new oil, and list-permission to exercise the 13/44 sprocket ratio = recipe for changing gas into hydrocarbons and noise.
Send me a PM if you want details.
m. of westdakota

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #18692
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

same song, different verse

[QUOTE=phlatlander;21356856]I think Fifthcircle hit the nail on the head concerning gearing for Moab.

SNIP
More NOOB questions--this time about chain links:
I see in the manual that a 14/47 =112 link chain.
Is there a 'guide' or FAQ that says, which chain length required for non-standard/OEM sprocket combinataions?

So, If you went to a 14/49 will 112 links work?
or 15/49, will that require a 114 links?
How long for a 15/50, etc?
Thanks.
m.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #18693
Jim patton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Me too

Yes at 58, just sold the KLR650 and picked up a 09 DRZ for commuting
And play riding...enjoying it...did all the KLR farkling, guess I'll start on
This one now...my real dirt bike with a plate is a TE511.
Jim patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #18694
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Chains will stretch with miles driven.

I have the stock chain (S model), and have four sprockets that I change around anywhere from 14/49 to 15/49 to 15/49. My chain has 5,000mi on it, and was about to the middle of the adjuster with the 15/44 stock gearing. With the current 15/49, it's sitting on the #2 setting.

Here is what I do. But the sprockets you want to try. Stick them on, and try to get the chain on. Most likely, it'll work. If it doesn't, order a new chain.

Hey South Dakota dudes.....
Swing down for my shindig this labor day (click the Fifth Fest link in my sig). I took the DRZ up to Nemo last fall, and had a blast riding all over with some friends. I had on the 14/49 gears, and they were great most of the time, but we had quite a few gravel stretches that I wished for just a bit more speed on the ride over to Cement Ridge. We hit that as the aspens were turning, on a perfect day. Beautiful! That trip is starting to become an annual thing for a group of us...maybe we'll catch you in the fall ;)

fifthcircle screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 07:19 AM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #18695
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
IMS Tank installation

Upgraded the tiny OE tank on my new to me 2009 400S - 150km from full to reserve isn't enough! After reading a bunch here I thought I was going to be in for a tough time with fitment issues with this IMS tank - What is everyone going on about? To be honest, the Clarke Tank looks ugly to me and the IMS tank looks like it belongs. Safari - really nice looking tank, but I can't justify the additional expense unless I need 28L - the IMS tank gave me 300km the other day and I didn't have to switch to reserve.

Installation is about as simple as it gets - remove the seat and plastic, remove OE tank, remove petcock and transfer it over to the new tank less the spacer. This was the first not so nice part of the install. IMS gives you some new M8 bolts to hold the petcock on as the OE bolts are too long as you arn't using the spacer. These hex head bolts are impossible to reasonably get a wrench around, so I replaced the bolts with some allen head bolts and that made the petcock a lot simpler to install. IMS should spend $0.50 more an include this style of fastener with the tank. Other than that - there was no fitment issues at all with the radiators, the radiator fan or the horn. The seat was a little snug - it should be allowed to go ahead 1cm more, but not a big deal. I was expecting a murderous time!

The only other thing I didn't like about the installation is the fact that you are supposed to attach the fuel tank to the radiators - In my opinion, this is an accident waiting to happen and even when it is attached, the tank isn't rock solid on the bike, so I spent last night fabricating up a tank brace and tool tube holder.

Now the tank is rock solid and the radiators won't feel the bump when the bike gets dropped, so I don't see the need to get radiator guards with this setup. Plus now I get a place to put a real tool roll!

Next project it to build a engine side protector that integrates with this cross bar - lots of room to do something nice under there!

ONE TANK REMAINS! BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #18696
kgmx856
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just picked this bad boy up yesterday.

Anyone in the Indiana area want to trade my black plastic and tank for yellow or white? I hate the black.

kgmx856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #18697
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Tyre clearance?
I am 90% sure there is ample clearance between the tire and tool tube. What is the total suspension travel of the DRZ? I will lift the front wheel and then measure to see if there will be an issue or not.

ONE TANK REMAINS! BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #18698
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,309
I have nothing to add, other then I love my DRZ more and more every time I ride it.

I can't wait to turn it into the ultimate DRZ400ADV.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #18699
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmx856 View Post

Anyone in the Indiana area want to trade my black plastic and tank for yellow or white? I hate the black.

Yellow, now ur talking . Good looking bike.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #18700
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,414
Need quick advice. I'm in the market for a long range tank and having a hard time deciding between the ims and the safari for my 400s.

I'm looking to have a 400km conservative riding range. Is the 4 gallon ims capable of 230miles riding carefully ?

Otherwise I'd have to fork out the extra on the safari.
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #18701
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Need quick advice. I'm in the market for a long range tank and having a hard time deciding between the ims and the safari for my 400s.

I'm looking to have a 400km conservative riding range. Is the 4 gallon ims capable of 230miles riding carefully ?

Best I could ever do was 50mpg so I wouldn't hit 230 miles on 4 gallons.
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #18702
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post

In my limited use of my new 4.0 gallon IMS tank, 300km range can be expected - 400km would be pretty much impossible unless you are ultra conservative. I would not depend my life on it nor even try 400km for giggles with my IMS tank.

Personally, unless you have to do 400km day in and day out, I would invest in a 5L fuel can for $10 or a roto-pax for $100 on the days you do need that extra range.

300km will get you to the next fuel station just about everywhere in North America with the exception of the Dalton and Dempster "highways" where you will need 400km.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #18703
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Drz400 IMS tank brace

I'm interested in the IMS tank also. I've heard that the tank does not fit well with radiator guards. I have guards that came with the bike, so I was hoping to be able to fit the IMS tank with the guards.
I like your IMS tank brace and may have to make something like that for myself and try the tank.
Another guy here on ADVrider was selling a similar brace, but it does not seem like they are for sale any more.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741440

rube

rube screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:36 PM Reason: Add link
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #18704
phlatlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Fifthfest

Fifthcircle,
I happened across a post detailing your shin-dig in the fall and was TOTALLY bummed when I saw the dates for it. I'll be out in Idaho for a rally during it but it is on my calendar for 2014, assuming it's an annual thing.

I'd be interested in your Black Hills ride, if you would allow a knob to tag along and schedules would come together.

I do want to get out west at least once this year for some riding and 4th of July weekend is looking the most promising. I've rode all over the hills on a mountain bicycle but motorcycles are a totally different animal.

revmaatin,
I wish I could answer your chain questions, but have the same questions as you and am still trying to learn. I have a 112L chain and 14x44 sprockets and the adjusters are at #5 or #5.2ish. I figure I should be able to easily fit a 47 and more than likely a 48 but figure the chain will have to get a few miles on it b4 i can fit a 49. My chain currently has 300-ish miles on it.
phlatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #18705
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Need a number, a real number....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Chains will stretch with miles driven.

I have the stock chain (S model), and have four sprockets that I change around anywhere from 14/49 to 15/49 to 15/49. My chain has 5,000mi on it, and was about to the middle of the adjuster with the 15/44 stock gearing. With the current 15/49, it's sitting on the #2 setting.

What chain length are you using for your 15/49? 112?

Hey South Dakota dudes.....
Swing down for my shindig this labor day (click the Fifth Fest link in my sig). I took the DRZ up to Nemo last fall, and had a blast riding all over with some friends. I had on the 14/49 gears, and they were great most of the time, but we had quite a few gravel stretches that I wished for just a bit more speed on the ride over to Cement Ridge. We hit that as the aspens were turning, on a perfect day. Beautiful! That trip is starting to become an annual thing for a group of us...maybe we'll catch you in the fall ;)
What chain length are you using for your 15/49? 112?

Shout me up in the fall when you come.
I am at Exit 32, Sturgis.
m.