Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #19021
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
I think your method, while a bit tougher since the air box has to come out, would probably be best but I'll likely do the lazy thing and just enlarge it up top.
Most folks just cut the whole in-situ with a dremel with a cutoff wheel or something similar. I've heard of using a hot knife too.

It's about an hour of work to get the airbox out.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #19022
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
You wouldn't want to go through a creek with that.

Turn the image 90% to the left and have another look

Its on the top of the airbox as in the standard 3x3

Creek should not be a problem unless he drops it BIG time in deep water

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #19023
jk$
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Talking Good for a short rider (5'3")

Im looking for a dual sport that will also work on the interstate for my shorty wife, she's 5'3" . Would a DRZ400 work? How hard/expensive is it to lower these guys? Would the post '95 DR 350 be a better option for her? Thanks!!
jk$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #19024
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk$ View Post
Im looking for a dual sport that will also work on the interstate for my shorty wife, she's 5'3" . Would a DRZ400 work? How hard/expensive is it to lower these guys? Would the post '95 DR 350 be a better option for her? Thanks!!
Stock DRZ's are pretty tall bikes. I'm 6-2 and can't flat-foot my S. (SM's are slightly lower, but still tall.) You can lower them with different dogbones and raising the forks in the clamps, but there are some tradeoffs and ground clearance goes away for dirt work. And even with aggressively lowering, a DRZ would still be a very tall bike for someone 5-3.

Dunno if a DR350 would be better.

Typically height-challenged riders tend towards the smaller dual-sports with less inherent seat height (e.g., DR200, XT225, etc.). Yamaha's TW-200 is specifically designed to be a very low seat height dual-sport. But these smaller bikes all have tradeoffs, especially for highway work.

No great solution here.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #19025
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
I'm 5'10 but with a short inseam for my height (30") and basically tippy toe my 06 S.

Stock, it would not be comfortable for her, IMO.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #19026
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
I'm tempted to drive over there tonight and get it. But it's 7 hours.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/3843370900.html
Not street legal tho??

Quote:

Nope, There was just another thread about a woman who is 5'5, she lowered the forks in the tripple clamps as much as possible (with handlebar risers on to give more room to lower them), she had the 2'' kouba lowering links, and she still could not touch the ground, she got a XT225 is very happy on it.

Im 5'9 and cant even touch the ground, lol at stop lights im tippy toeing on one side only.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #19027
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
I have no personal experience with a TW200, but have read they are not suitable for interstate work. See if you can find a Kawasaki Super Sherpa; a bit lower seat than the XT225, and there are lowering links available. Seems to me the Sherpa has just a tad more top end for higher speeds, too.
http://www.koubalink.com/Super%20Sherpa.html

Sarah
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #19028
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
The DR650 will do. The inmate: HappyCRNA has a lowered DR and would be a good one to talk to about the DR. Send her a PM.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #19029
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
i have a drz250 tagged.
with a lowering link they do well for a shorter person
here is a pic of my 5'5" wife on a 2007 lowered drz250 i had
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #19030
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Alright so I can't seem to get onto any TT links or forums and I have a problem that's annoying me.

My new to me 2006 DRZ-SM keeps surging (and popping on decel), which is tough when you're trying to practice low speed maneuvers. The bike has a version of the 3x3 mod (I posted pics before), a White Brother's exhaust can (stock pipe) and unknown jetting (the PO said he updated the jets and I believe him although I didn't get the specifics).

I started riding on a carved bike but that carb was perfectly dialed in and never needed anything. Since then I've only had FI bikes, so I don't know what the heck I'm doing. All I want to do now is learn to ride my first small bike and dream of upgrades, but it seems I need to figure out issues first. Arg.

My original plan was a FMF pipe/can (thinking the Powerbomb/Q4 combo or MRD/SSW), jets, a true air box mod (replacing the drilled side cover on the bike) and perhaps the FCR39 carb. Like I said, dreaming.

....oy, I am as good at running off at the fingers as I am at the mouth. TL;DR: for a carb newbie, can someone give me a quick rundown on a quick fix (*fingers crossed*) for the surging, or is it mostly trial and error?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...

GypsyWriter screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 01:05 PM
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #19031
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,942
Quote:
What's her inseam?

Do you mind swapping CS sprockets?

Would you mind swapping a wide-ratio gearset into the transmission?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #19032
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Take a look at the XT350. I owned two and they are very reliable, and will cruise highway speeds fine with proper gearing. Very low seat heights, and easy kick start with auto decompression stock. The extra 100cc, even on a low compression air cooled engine makes a big difference in torque getting up to highway speed and climbing the hills.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #19033
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tread View Post
Hiya guys,

I really could use some help.

I noticed my clutch release arm has no tension. Holding the arm I can spin it freely about 90 degrees with no tension. Is there any other way to obtain the "spring" tension once again without having to dissect the clutch case and assembly ?

*Note: Sadly, I'm in fear of clutch ruin due to a poor petcock failure causing internal leakage where fuel went into motor and mixed with the oil. I noticed this when the gears wouldn't engage into higher gears. As if the clutch was not disengaged... Which caused me to investigate the clutch release arm... Then check fluids and smelled high concentrations of fuel in it. Drained now, but worried for the damage caused internally. This would only be 5min or less of riding.

Your inputs are highly appreciated. I thank you in advance.
I doubt you killed it with gas. flush the oil once or twice with new and fix the petcock, clutches are tough. I'm on original with almost 24000 hard miles.

if it has been abused, the fibers are likely good, but spring bad. id order a kit, insteal in 20 minutes, fresh oil and ride. the clutch cover uses an oring as reusable gasket. very easy job.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #19034
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Alright so I can't seem to get onto any TT links or forums and I have a problem that's annoying me.

My new to me 2006 DRZ-SM keeps surging (and popping on decel), which is tough when you're trying to practice low speed maneuvers. The bike has a version of the 3x3 mod (I posted pics before), a White Brother's exhaust can (stock pipe) and unknown jetting (the PO said he updated the jets and I believe him although I didn't get the specifics).

I started riding on a carved bike but that carb was perfectly dialed in and never needed anything. Since then I've only had FI bikes, so I don't know what the heck I'm doing. All I want to do now is learn to ride my first small bike and dream of upgrades, but it seems I need to figure out issues first. Arg.

My original plan was a FMF pipe/can (thinking the Powerbomb/Q4 combo or MRD/SSW), jets, a true air box mod (replacing the drilled side cover on the bike) and perhaps the FCR39 carb. Like I said, dreaming.

....oy, I am as good at running off at the fingers as I at the mouth. TL;DR: for a carb newbie, can someone give me a quick rundown on a quick fix (*fingers crossed*) for the surging, or is it mostly trial and error?
Surging is usually an indication of a lean mix condition. Pull a plug and check color. White is too lean. Spray the carb boot with carb cleaner or starting fluid while it's running. Any change in rpm's indicate it's sucking air.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #19035
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Surging is usually an indication of a lean mix condition. Pull a plug and check color. White is too lean. Spray the carb boot with carb cleaner or starting fluid while it's running. Any change in rpm's indicate it's sucking air.
Thanks! I'll do that tonight. I bought some new spark plugs last night but decided to change the oil and didn't get around to the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote