Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #19381
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Yes...on a DRZ400...fer sure.

Maybe a KTM 990SM or Aprilia Tuono should be in your garage?
This looks like a good area to respond.

So, I definitely feel a difference in riding. My true test was carrying the front wheel over the RR tracks (I'm not into clutch-wheelies personally). Not a HUGE difference, but a little more responsive and definitely smoother.

On the 75MPH comment, here's what I do. I swap out the rear to a 41 when I'm going to commute to work in between dirt rides. Bike does great. I also swap out my Kendas for the stockers because they work better on the freeway. I'm planning on buying a used set of wheels to make this easier because it makes that much difference. With this gear setup it's actually fun to ride on the freeway without feeling like I've got to red line it to keep from getting run over.

Pipes...etc? I may go for a pipe in the future, but want something similar to the stocker for sound (1st rule: Don't piss off the neighbors). I won't be doing anything internal for long time. I have a five year warranty and don't want to void it just yet.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #19382
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
pelican case size

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post

I mounted a larger version for taking longer trips. I'm headed for Utah and Colorado on Monday to ride the Backcountry Discovery Routes.
What size is that pelican case? 1500? Looks perfect size. Also interested to know how you mounted the rotopax.
www.boss safety.com seems to have great prices on Pelican cases.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #19383
focallength
classically trained

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Yes...on a DRZ400...fer sure.

Maybe a KTM 990SM or Aprilia Tuono should be in your garage?
Yeah, you're looking for a sport bike, not a dual sport if you want to powe wheelie any gear and cruise 75mph.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #19384
focallength
classically trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
This looks like a good area to respond.

So, I definitely feel a difference in riding. My true test was carrying the front wheel over the RR tracks (I'm not into clutch-wheelies personally). Not a HUGE difference, but a little more responsive and definitely smoother.

On the 75MPH comment, here's what I do. I swap out the rear to a 41 when I'm going to commute to work in between dirt rides. Bike does great. I also swap out my Kendas for the stockers because they work better on the freeway. I'm planning on buying a used set of wheels to make this easier because it makes that much difference. With this gear setup it's actually fun to ride on the freeway without feeling like I've got to red line it to keep from getting run over.

Pipes...etc? I may go for a pipe in the future, but want something similar to the stocker for sound (1st rule: Don't piss off the neighbors). I won't be doing anything internal for long time. I have a five year warranty and don't want to void it just yet.

That's cool, gearing will go along way, I did just gearing for years, I only went nutso because I could. I rode everything from fordyce creek (think rubicon, but tougher) on a stock drz, with 14/47. 1st/2nd hear wheelies no problem, power slides easy. Gearing is such a simple cheap change. Remember 1 in the front is worth 3 in the rear. 14/47 does require an extra link or two on the chain, over stock length.

Go get seat time, there's no replacement for it.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #19385
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Yeah, you're looking for a sport bike, not a dual sport if you want to powe wheelie any gear and cruise 75mph.
The laughing smiley face was meant to express humor/sarcasm...
Falcon86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #19386
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
What size is that pelican case? 1500? Looks perfect size. Also interested to know how you mounted the rotopax.
The case is a 1450. To mount the Rotopax I used the Rotopax hardware and drilled holes in the Pelican lid. It's never loosened or shown signs of coming un-mounted in 5000 miles of mostly dirt riding in the woods. Much of that time the Rotopax was filled with fuel. The Pelican is mounted on a rack made by inmate jackpiner57. He has makes them with a Rotopax mounting brace to which the Pelican is attached. Then I added some steel strapping to provide fore and aft support. One could weld in some bracket horizontally to accomplish the same. I can't weld so I bent my own bracket. This makes the removal of the Pelican a bit more complicated. One of these days I'll get the welding done for this and the mounting of my tool tube aft of the battery and behind the left Wolfman side rack. For the Adventure riding I do with the bike it's fine. But for technical riding I think less stuff is better. Way less as in none.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #19387
2wheelsrbest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thermoswitch for fan

Anyone find and use any alternative thermo switches from other bikes or cars that are not $80? Seems like there must be something out there.

For 2002 S model
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #19388
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Blown tranny

I bought a DRZ 18 months ago. A 2001 with 5,000 miles. Now has 9400 miles. It was in mint condition and well maintained by me. Yesterday I was riding with friends aggressively on a FS road and winding out in third gear when the rear wheel locked up solid and bad noises came from the gearbox. Lucky I didn't crash.

Any ideas on if this is a freak thing or is it not so rare? Change the oil every 1k and ha just changed it the day before. All was fine.

Never torn down a tranny but already found gears on eBay for 150. Complete. Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #19389
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I bought a DRZ 18 months ago. A 2001 with 5,000 miles. Now has 9400 miles. It was in mint condition and well maintained by me. Yesterday I was riding with friends aggressively on a FS road and winding out in third gear when the rear wheel locked up solid and bad noises came from the gearbox. Lucky I didn't crash.

Any ideas on if this is a freak thing or is it not so rare? Change the oil every 1k and ha just changed it the day before. All was fine.

Never torn down a tranny but already found gears on eBay for 150. Complete. Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any thoughts.
If everything outside is in order then you had something let go inside. Find someone that knows what they are doing and start tearing it down till you find the damage. Locked up engines/transmissions usually mean $$$$ in my experience. Did it turn over with the clutch held in?

rustycager screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 05:12 AM
rustycager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #19390
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

Thanks for any thoughts.

I had this happen once, scary thing having the transmission lock up on you!

Any chance you had recently changed front sprockets or re-tightened the current one?
Second gear on my bike fused itself to the counter shaft. This often happens from running with the cs nut loose which wears a collar/bushing under the second gear.

second gear friction welded to cs
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #19391
focallength
classically trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post

Any chance you had recently changed front sprockets or re-tightened the current one?
Second gear on my bike fused itself to the counter shaft. This often happens from running with the cs nut loose which wears a collar/bushing under the second gear.
Do you have any proof that a loose cs sprocket was hje caise or just speculation? You say "often" yet ive never heard of a loose cs sprocket causing wear of internal gearing/bushings. At best ive seen a loose cs sprocket slowly wear teeth on the cs itslef do to the sprocket rocking on the splines.

Do you have any proof, imperical evidence, good data or a history to support your claim?

Seems to mee that actual wear/break down of the internal bushing/bearing was the cause. What caused the break down? Could be anything...do you always change your filters? Hows the filter at the oil drain plug? Hows the internal filter? Ive seen gears seize because the owner rarely changed the main filter or failed to clean the other internal filters (due to lack of knowledge of their exsistance) and the engine just recycled detrius until a piece or pieces gummed up a key part.

That or just good old bearing/bushing failure, parts go bad, sometimes before they should. Matter of fact usually the failure of a small seemingly inocuious part causes major parts to fail.

focallength screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 12:51 PM
focallength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #19392
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post

second gear friction welded to cs

See through, saw your post on Thumper Talk on this earlier today. I changed the CS sproket about a year ago and did the loctite fix. PO might have run it loose. As a matter of fact now that I think of it, the nut was finger tight. Did not need a wrench to loosen. Perhaps that did cause the damage.

Focal length: I understand your thought process, but the CS nut being loose is a known problem on the DRZ and has caused multiple issues. Didn't realize it could have this kind of impact, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence on the DRZ site in Thumper Talk. DRZ's are pretty rock solid except for this and a problem with the stator (which is another loctite fix).
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #19393
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Do you have any proof that a loose cs sprocket was hje caise or just speculation? You say "often" yet ive never heard of a loose cs sprocket causing wear of internal gearing/bushings. At best ive seen a loose cs sprocket slowly wear teeth on the cs itslef do to the sprocket rocking on the splines.

Do you have any proof, imperical evidence, good data or a history to support your claim?

Seems to mee that actual wear/break down of the internal bushing/bearing was the cause. What caused the break down? Could be anything...do you always change your filters? Hows the filter at the oil drain plug? Hows the internal filter? Ive seen gears seize because the owner rarely changed the main filter or failed to clean the other internal filters (due to lack of knowledge of their exsistance) and the engine just recycled detrius until a piece or pieces gummed up a key part.

That or just good old bearing/bushing failure, parts go bad, sometimes before they should. Matter of fact usually the failure of a small seemingly inocuious part causes major parts to fail.
I have no proof that this was caused by a loose cs nut. (and i have my doubts) it's just what every seems to think the cause is on TT. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/101...n-me-go-70mph/
The fact this happened maybe 200miles after changing my sprockets and chain does have me thinking it's related to the cs sprocket, I dunno though, i mean the last time my cs nut came loose on me was 25,000 miles ago...

btw i've always changed the oil around every 1000 miles and always change the main filter at that time. I was unaware of the frame filter, until this incident, but that was almost perfectly clean.

See-Three screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 03:50 AM
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #19394
FamilyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
DRZ dual-sport ride

This past winter I decided to get my son's DRZ plated so that we would have two plated bikes in the family. A few weeks ago my daughter wanted to go on a longer ride, so we rode up a nearby canyon and came back via a different canyon. We ended up doing 125 miles; mostly pavement, but with maybe 25-30 miles of dirt road and about 2 miles of narrow single track. The scenery was spectacular.

My daughter did really well even though the DRZ is pretty large and heavy for her. She is anxious to go again!

I have posted a trip report, video, and photos on my family blog.

http://gardinerfamilyadventures.word...ide-june-2013/
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #19395
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
you got to love a dual-sport bike
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote